Sal & Eric Glesser: Appreciation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Sal & Eric Glesser: Appreciation Thread

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the main attractions of Spyderco knives has always been their brilliant collaborations with the likes of Jess Horn, Massad Ayoob, JD Smith, Bob Lum and the immortal Bill Moran. Without a doubt these are all brilliant collaborations and designs that will pass the test of time.

But there is one detail that many of us here at Spyderville sort of take for granted and even overlook to some degree. That is the fact that we are blessed with 2 of the very best knife designers IMO right here and that is Mr. Sal & Eric Glesser. I would put their knife designs up against anybody's as far as function, performance and unique appearance.

I treasuer many of Spyderco's collaborations but ultimately some of my very favorites are many of the "in-house" Glesser designs. This evening I did a post praising Eric Glesser with his great design we know as the Dodo :cool: The Dodo is certainly one of my top 10 favorite Spyders of all time.

Mr. Sal Glesser constantly amazes me with his sleek designs of the 2 fixed blade Temperance models ( Temp 1 & Temp 2). Those are 2 of my very favorite fixed blades overall and I'll put them up against anyone's fixed blades. Lately I've been EDCing my Temp 1 PE and with all the heavy cutting chores I've had in the past 2 days that Temp 1 model has never failed me. The design appears to be somewhat simplistic until you actually do some hard work with it and then you immediately see how the entire design is not only an ergonomic wonder but is 1000% functional as well and cuts like a laser beam. My personal favorite all time Spyderco folder in the Spyderco line up is Sal's design of the C-54 big Calypso model>> sure hope that baby comes back as sprint run ( hint, hint).

And let us not overlook Mr. Sal Glesser's line up of superb sharpening equipment. To me the one most noteworthy is his brilliant 204 Sharpmaker kit. They not only make great knives but also some of the very best sharpening equipment and accessories.

I think it's high time we all show our appreciation for their hard work. Tell us which Glesser design you like the best and why. Tell us which piece of sharpening equipment you like best and why.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Great thread, JD!!

I agree with everything you said. I appreciate the designs, but also the CQI to improving and refining designs. My favorite current case in point is the Paramilitary. When I first tried this knife, years ago, I did NOT like it! But when I read about the CQI refinements, they made so much sense to me that I had to try it again and LOVED it!! I will say it is one of my favorite designs right now and it showcases both Sal and Eric - so, I think it is one of the best examples of what you are talking about.

Sal, Eric, kudos to you for your designs and commitment to improvement (and your customers). Keep it coming!!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Sal and Eric this year for the first time. It was a great pleasure and very educational to boot.

So many excellent designs to their credit - thanks for everything guys.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I love spyderco. You're designs are amazing, they're unusual, and out of the box, and they are different from other companies and stand out a lot. It's just innovative and unique.... I mean, all the other companies have these normal knives, and spyderco's churning out all of these game changing products.

Especially the spyderco community. While I haven't needed my warranty at all, I've sent two emails regarding questions on the endura, and they were all answered within 24 hours, which can't be said for most companies. To me, you guys actually care about what you're making, and the people you're making it for.

Thanks for everything! I'm going pure spydie now :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I appreciate Sal and Eric's work every day, usually when a Para2 is clipped in my pocket. Lately my Chaparral and G-10 Poliwog have been getting a lot of appreciation too. Thank you :spyder: for providing such thoughtful designs. :D
:bug-red-white
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

C54 Calypso...always will love this one, and probably never own one...ce la vie...

I have many regrets, and just about most of them are about Spydies I sold, because I "needed the money"...

One day I hope to travel to Golden, and meet the team, remembering that behind very successful man, there stands a every surprised woman...in this case, Gail...

To the Glesser family...good health and safe hands...
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I definitely appreciate the Glesser designs...I think the Para 2 is one of the best folders I've ever held...that thing is nearly perfect IMO. Also, the Tasman is one of my all time favorite knives of any brand...can't remember if it was Sal or Eric who designed it....but regardless...I'd like to say a big THANK YOU!

Another reason I stand behind Spyderco is definitely because you just don't see many companies at all who care nearly as much about their customers as the crew at Spyderco. That means alot.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

I too would say the Tasman is one of my favorite knives! Thanks to the Glessers for their design and awesome innovations!!
My :spyder:'s- CE FRN Endura 4, PE Tasman Salt, SE Tasman Salt, PE Ambitious, PE Grasshopper, PE FRN Delica 4, PE Squeak, Bob T SLIPIT, Lum Chinese GF Nishijin, Endura 4 Trainer, Native SE Lightweight, Delica 4 Trainer, Poliwog, UKPK PESF Maroon FRN.

Wishlist: Matriarch2, Manix2, Pacific Salt Black, Spyderhawk, Manbug, Chaparral, Yojimbo2, Kiwi Stag, Native 5, Starmate (either an original or a newly released one-whenever it comes out).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Amen JD, two of my most favorite Spyderco models, the Stretch and Chaparral, carry Sal's "chop" and I suspect he was the primary, if not sole, designer of the Kiwi as well. He and Eric both deserve major kudos!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Though I haven't met them in person they both come across as thoughtful, intelligent people with the talent and knowledge to see the big picture and the tenacity to see the projects through to a finish.

A bunch of talent in that family IMO.

And Sal, Thanks for bringing out the Cruware mule. It's very difficult finding even custom makers who will work with it. Indeed thank you for running the whole Mule team for us steel junkies.

Things like this have always separated you from the pack. There are some pretty darned talented knifemakers who are lousy people, to be honest.

Despite the innovations and accomplishments Spyderco has brought to market over the years the real reason for your earned respect in the knife community comes more from who you are, and how you carry yourself in dealings with others, not the knives you've made.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd agree with everything said so far. The only knife that comes to mind to mention is the Manix2. I think that one has Eric's name on it. I believe it is a great knife as a work knife. It is one of the most ergonomic knives I've held which is more important IMO when hard use will be involved to reduce stress on the hand. I mentioned the Manix2 but there are many others I'm sure that deserve mention.

Jack
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

Thank you for the excellent knives and sharpening tools--they are integral parts of my daily life, and I can't believe I went this long without having a Spyderco in my pocket.

Keep up the outstanding work!
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'd like to say thanks to the Spyderco team too! All they've done for knife nuts around the world. The knives Eric has designed that stand out to me are first the Dodo and a close second is the Scorpius. Both seem to mold to my hand the second I pick one up. With Sal the Super Leaf jumps out, though so much more from Spyderco has been imprinted with his common sense, ergonomics, and style influences.

Other kudos that should go out to Spyderco include what they have done and still do for our armed forces, police, rescue, and fire personnel. From all the Freedom knives given to soldiers, and specialty knives for each public service . Charity work they do including money raised for WTC victims families as an example, since 9/11 is just around the corner. Spyderco seems to relish other knife makers input for collaborative knives rather than run from or disparage their works, providing great knives that would have never seen the light of day any other way.

Other things I'm always thankful for are the sharpening systems that they started with that I use at least each week to keep their knives sharp in my pocket. I use the 204 though still have the first I bought a 203MF I purchased in 1988. Their customer service is second to none! I used them today and was yet again astounded at the efficiency, friendly demeanor, and willingness to help.

If any of the knives I chose to mention are not properly linked to the original designer, please excuse my ignorance. I don't really follow the designer, just Spyderco in general.
v8r

Post by v8r »

My Favorite knife of all time is the Native II. I hope the Native 5 TI fluted was not a teaser and makes it into production. Can't wait to have another Metal handled Native. I would be ok with smooth handles in SS if it keeps costs down.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

The functional simplicity or simple functionality of the inhouse designed Spyderco's is a form of geniality easily taking for granted but sorely missed if not there. It is probably stored somewhere in the Glesser DNA.
It can be found on many if not all models of which I prefer the Stretch for general EDC.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

For the Caly family and the Paramilitary alone, Sal, Eric, and Spyderco belong among the knifemaking elite. I hope to be lucky enough to meet you both in person someday.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Well, I agree wholeheartedly, and as I have carried an, as I feel, under-appreciated design - the Endura, for the last 6 years, many kudos are due.

But not only that, the other thing that cannot be said about MANY other makers/designers, Sal and the whole Spyderco Clan appreciate their customers and it shows. Between taking time to listen, online and at shows, it shows through that it is not "just about knives" with Sal, it is about so much more.

It makes you feel good about carrying a Spyderco after you hear stories of Sal, the Glessers, and the whole Spyderco Clan. Many others not so much.

Thanks Sal and Spyderco, you stand tall in a large crowd, we appreciate you.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Hands down my favorite is the Caly III CF w/ZDP-189. It is always in my pocket and has been pretty much since the day I got it.

I suspect I would like the Chapparal equally as much, but I can't see taking my Caly out of my pocket so I haven't bought one yet.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
computernut

Post by computernut »

At first I was a SAK guy, not because of the blade but the other tools. I always thought that Spyderco's looked weird. Finally I decided to get a real knife and after actually handling a Spyderco I was sold. I got a Native FRN which then led into a Delica FFG (sharpest thing I have every owned) and just recently I got a Sage I which I think is going to be hard to top but I'm sure my next Spyderco will raise the bar again. You can tell the guys at Spyderco love what they do and it shows in their art.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I echo the sentiment in this thread. For me, Sal's designs seemed molded toward my hand and usage. It took me some time but I discovered the Caly series and couldn't be happier. Despite having a favorite model, I'm still intrigued by Spyderco's continued ingenuity and innovation.

Thanks Sal, Eric and the entire Spyderco crew. :D