Spyderco sailing blade/spike

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Googz

Spyderco sailing blade/spike

Post by Googz »

I am sitting at work thinking about this past labor day weekend an one of my main thought is how much I used my H1 dragonfly. I am an avid boater and I am thinking how awesome it would be to have a spyderco with a sailing spike. I was thinking all H1 contruction with some yellow g10.

Opinions please :)
Orange Manix 2, Purple Endura, Foliage Green G10 Dragonfly, Leaf storm + more in the near future
jacobhatch

Post by jacobhatch »

for the people with no salt in their blood.
he/she is talking about a marlin spike. they are used for busting up knots, and splicing rope... they are very useful, but also look like something a trucker would carry. actually truckers use them too, with all the rope (sailers of the land?) i think the only well made one is by myerchin, very hard use. spyderco could make an awesome one. i don't know if they could make a lot of money off of it.
i would vote for the plastic handle with the standard texture. i think it would be better in the wet cold **** with sailing gloves on.
the real trick would be the lock. blade on one side, spike on the other. liner locks wouldn't be strong enough for a real sailor/trucker.
JD Spydo

Marlin-Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

About 2 years ago I had a thread going wondering why Spyderco didn't have a folder with a Marlinspike. It would be great to have it in the H-1 Salt Series to be sure. I really wish that something like that would come to fruition.

It could open the door for a Seaman's Series of blades. Marlinspikes are good for any occupation which requires the use of rope. When I was in the tree trimming and tree removal business I always had an old Kabar in my toolbox that had a spike and it came in handy on many occasions.

I do believe that a marketing drive could make something like that a big seller. They could call it the Marlin-Spyder :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was searching for what a Marlin Spike is, and I found someone who ground a Philips screw driver on a SAK into a Marlin Spike.

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php?topic=632.0
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Googz

Post by Googz »

Would a dyad configuration work?
Orange Manix 2, Purple Endura, Foliage Green G10 Dragonfly, Leaf storm + more in the near future
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

liner locks wouldn't be strong enough for a real sailor/trucker.
If I recall correctly Sal sails though I'm not sure what kind of boat.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I wonder if it'd be possible to have it configured like the assist, so that the spike comes out when you squeeze the knife.... it'd be neat, but given the length of the spike... probably not possible... Or maybe like a ball bearing lock, and then the spine of the handle has the spike embedded in it, and you can just flip out the spike?
Wardo

Post by Wardo »

I'd like to see the Salt series offered with a marlinspike as well. Boye Knives has it on a folder very much like the Salt. Looks pretty simple to do. :spyder: could probably sell a ton of them. :D
JD Spydo

Marlin-Dyad

Post by JD Spydo »

Googz wrote:Would a dyad configuration work?
That's just near and dear to my heart brother :) Yeah you could have a Salt Series H-1 Dyad with the 2 blades coming out of one side and the Marlinspike could fold out on the back side.

The only problem is I want the big Dyad to come back in it's original format with a new supersteel. But what the heck>> I'll take a twin blade Spyder however I can get it.

That would kill 2 birds with one stone and possibly give birth to another :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I recall Spyderco had a model in research and development some years back. The problem back then (if I understood correctly) was some of the technology wasn't mature enough to make the concept a production reality. I'm sure it is still there just waiting for the machines to catch up to the ideas. ;)
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **