Spyderco Resilience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tonie Nichols

Spyderco Resilience

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Okay, I'm a little confused. I thought that the Byrds were the value line, but now I see that the Resilience and it's little brothers are being referred to as such.

My question, other than the phosphor bronze washers and the skeletonized liners,what's the difference between these and the Byrds and why weren't they released as part of the Byrd line?

Not that I am complaining, as a matter of fact I'm thrilled! I love any opportunity to add a great Spydie or Byrd carry knife to my pocket lineup. As a matter of fact I'm so thrilled that it looks like a couple of my friends are going to be ordering these as well.

Next question, I know there was a folder called the Li'l Temperance, but was there a larger folding Temperance, or is the Resilience it's avatar?

However it shakes out, I am totally stoked to be getting the "R".

Anyone who owns one of the "R"s care to share a little bit about it? I have small to medium size hands, will it fit like the Military, Endura or Cara Cara?

Is there any difference in the way the steel is treated between the "R" and a Byrd?

Thanx for sharing.

Thanx for
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderhole opener vs the Byrd comma shaped opener. Normal Spyderco warranty vs 1 year warranty, which makes me think there may also be a difference in the quality of some of the materials used.

No larger folding Temperance, the larger Temperance was a fixed blade and the Temperance II is its successor.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Thank you Deacon
Reject

Post by Reject »

If you like the Resilience have a look at the other three in that series.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50884
How much can a Koala bear?
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

You will not be sorry. I have one and bought my son one, that he carries every shift as his patrol knife, he is a uniform police officer. Any way, I have the tenacious as well, some of my favorite knives.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I absolutely love my Tenacious, and eventually I plan on ordering the other three as funds become available. The QC is not quite up to normal Spyderco standards on some aspects, but they are still great knives. My tenacious has really bad blade centering, its way to one side. However, it does not effect its functionality, and it still locks up tight with a very thick liner lock.

As a newby :spyder: collector (my understanding of) The quality levels rank as follows

From Highest quality to lowest (relative)

Knives made in:
Golden, Colorado, Earth.
Taiwan
Japan
China (resilience, tenacious, persistance, ambitious, bugs and so on.)

As I said, I am a newby, this is just my personal experience with my own collection of spyders from all these countries. Im sure im missing something, and The Deacon is who probably has the most info on this subject (as usual). That being said, Taiwan and Japan are turning out some phenominal knives with un-paralleled quality.

China, as can be expected, trails a bit behind. However some of the best made Chinese products I have ever held had a :spyder: on it! :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some folks consider the "all edge" blade a desirable feature. Some consider it an accident waiting to happen, especially when combined with a minimal guard. Most agree the series (Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience) provide good value for their prices. Most consistent complaint against them is inconsistent hardware, which can make something as simple as moving a clip challenging.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
powernoodle

Post by powernoodle »

bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

have all 4 and love them . greeetzzzz
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I just order a tenacious which will be the first spyderco in a very very long line of spydercos I own. I'm still scraping cash together so I can one of those USN Catcherman knives, its perfect for me I neeeeeeeeeed it
JaM

Post by JaM »

My Tenacious is my 'beater' knife, to use in the garden for nasty stuff.
Sprayed the handle red, too, to make sure I could find it back if accidentaly dropped.
It's good for that, easy to sharpen too.

I dont have the others, but the quality is decent enough I guess. I have no complaints about my Tenacious.

I did have some Byrds (either sold/traded or gave them away) and they were all good, too. I just didnt like the eye-opening, I refer a round hole.

If the quality was off (i.e. not inline of the price you'd pay for them) Spyderco wouldnt want to be involved in the whole Byrd line, or wouldnt have started it even.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Hmmm...I think I might take my ol' Resilience out for a spin today...
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Resilience is an absolute beast, it sits at the headborad of my bed. The Tenacious may be the best value out there. I do quite a bit of "rough" work and don't want to use one of the $ spyders, so the Tencaious is a great go to knife for anything that you can give it. I have used the Persistence for even rougher work.
log man

Post by log man »

DCDesigns wrote:My tenacious has really bad blade centering, its way to one side. However, it does not effect its functionality, and it still locks up tight with a very thick liner lock.
I find that the screws can be loosened just a bit and the handle warped to center and re-tighten. Stays centered. There is just enough clearance in the frame screw holes that aligning the blade should be possible. To further understand how, I have also used a vise. Gently snug the padded vise jaws on the closed knife ends with the handle in a bias between the jaws that forces the handle sides in opposite directions, and you will see the blade go back and forth as you snug and release. Center and tighten the screws, just tighten to the stop point, that's all that's needed.

LOG
grimace

Post by grimace »

The 'value' line are only good as true beater knives IMHO. I have a Tenacious and it may be the great $30 knife, but it is no where near any other Spyderco made outside of China. You would be so much better off saving a little more $ and getting a Delica. Or in your case an Endura instead of a Resilience.
BAL

Post by BAL »

grimace wrote:The 'value' line are only good as true beater knives IMHO. I have a Tenacious and it may be the great $30 knife, but it is no where near any other Spyderco made outside of China. You would be so much better off saving a little more $ and getting a Delica. Or in your case an Endura instead of a Resilience.
I can't argue with saving $ for a better knife, but at the same time you can get all four value folders for about the same price as a Military. You can do alot of rough cutting with 4 knives. However, IMO the Military is the best knife made, so it's just a matter of what you need a blade for.