2011/2012 Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I agree 100%.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Would the D fly be a generally accepted model?
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

If the above was serious-country of origin. Don't think the guys making the Dfly in Japan like, or have experience treating and using, S90V.

ZDP would be a better "high-end" steel :)
MCM

Post by MCM »

Get ready for:

No its too small
No its too big
No it has a lock
No I hate blue
No I cant stand FRN.

Etc.

So in the end, its probably best left up to Sal and CO,.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I do like the idea of a forum knife. I don't own any of the smaller spydercos like the d fly yet. Depending on price I might be in. However I would be more excited about a larger blade. Delica or larger, if we are set on a folder. Just my 2 bits. Cheers.

LOL MCM, good timming. It's impossible to please everyone. Might be easy for whoever steps up to the plate to make the call.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

mmm, yehhh, I just think a more cost friendly piece would interest a larger group of people. Considering the times.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bradley wrote:Could we come to an agreement, all in favor of a Dark/royal blue dragonfly? Then starta new thread for steel? or maybe just the price then Sal and the team could decide what they could do for that price?
Problem with special colors, is that you run into minimum order requirements. That means 600 pieces for knives made in Japan and, AFAIK, 300 for those made in Golden.

With steels, Japanese makers consider it an insult to be asked to use foreign steel, so some combinations of model and steel are unrealistic.

Greatest chance of success would be selecting a regular production model where the only modification would be the forum engraving, as on the 2005 Forum Adventura and 2006 Forum Lava. Of course some folks won't find that special enough and some, in reality, are not so much interested in a Forum knife as in a specific combination of model and materials.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Delica S90v ffg with CF or Micarta handles different colors? Why not honor the knife that has helped make Spyderco what it is.......if not a Delica, a really special Para 2. Love the comp lock.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

^ I keep trying to get at a cheaper knife. Not just for me, but for everyone. It'd be more likely to sell better than an expensive model. Once we start hitting the 175's and 200's i pretty much bow out, unless it's something I would have to have. Now I'm not saying it needs to be the cheapest knife, but i don't think the forum knife needs to be all the top notch steels and materials. Maybe a sprint run, but the forums are too diverse, and being a part of this means you'd want the knife dedicated to us. So why make the nice people of this forum break the bank? Sorry for the poor sentence construction, but you get the point. (just woke up)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Evil D wrote:I vote for a tan Para 2 with some snob steel (just because i'm in need of tan scales lol).

WHO'S WITH ME!??? :D
I was thinking along the same lines - but I would like to see an orange Para2 so my Millie can have a little brother... :cool:

TedP
mattman

Post by mattman »

G-10 Dragonfly/ ZDP-189 with a unique color G-10... possibly peel-ply?
Satisfies both sides (price vs high-end steel), accessible to most, been asked for a bit (the G-10/ZDP combo)

thoughts?
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

mattman wrote:G-10 Dragonfly/ ZDP-189 with a unique color G-10... possibly peel-ply?
Satisfies both sides (price vs high-end steel), accessible to most, been asked for a bit (the G-10/ZDP combo)

thoughts?
I like it - good call! How about digi-camo?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mattman wrote:G-10 Dragonfly/ ZDP-189 with a unique color G-10... possibly peel-ply?

thoughts?
I'll give you my thoughts. I don't think I have a Dragonfly. I do think everytime I turn around someone is talking about how great the Dragonfly is. I think I may have to get one. :) Do you think that will shut everybody up about how great the Dragonfly is? I don't think so either. :( I think I'd probably just be one more talking about how great it is. :D Then I'd have to listen to myself along with everyone else. :( :D

What do you think of those thoughts? :D

Jack
mattman

Post by mattman »

Jack- I figured making the forum knife a D-fly would be what it took to convince you to get one!! lol
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

thoughts?
Good price on the Dfly ZDP in green FRN for those interested now. I agree the G-10 combo would make a great Dfly. :) Again I'm down for anything from Spyderco. Love the stuff.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I think the dragonfly would be good, with zdp, g 10 over frn i suppose? Color of g 10
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

So true.. no knife will ever satisfy everone..But with that said..

I would absolutely love to see a ZDP G10 Dfly in say, the Manix 2 Ltd Edn Blue Colour

No matter what though, I'm not gonna miss this years forum knife! Get ready for some long nights and the F5 key :D
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I'm going to start a new thread with a poll and colors, I assume everyone would prefer g-10 over frn?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bradley wrote:I think the dragonfly would be good, with zdp, g 10 over frn i suppose? Color of g 10
Would be nice, if a bit expensive. Based on price difference between the VG-10 and ZDP-189 versions of the FRN ones, MSRP would be around $165 and could be higher for certain colors of G-10. Probably would have to be done for 2012, imagine the lead time would be more than four months. Biggest question is whether Spyderco would feel confident they could sell all 600 of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

We'd be paying $165 ish for it? eek