Spyderco Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

shimage wrote:Are you absolutely certain of this? I loosened both sides of the pivot screw, and the clip screw looked identical except for the half-loosened pivot screw. My impression was they used identical construction (ie, a female-female D-bolt and two screws).
To be honest, no. All I can say with certainty is the the screw on the right side turned fairly easily while the head on the left side would not turn with as much effort as I felt comfortable applying.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

The Deacon wrote:Are you basing that on direct observation, or something someone else has noted they observed, or just assuming that because it scratches steel, it has to be metal? I ask because fiberglass can also scratch steel. Not to mention that most who have experienced the scratches on the tang attribute them to the blade rubbing against the liner due to side pressure when opening.
You make a good point, it could certainly be fiberglass. I figured that was probably not the case due to the CF material being isolated on the outside of the steel liners, and I'd imagine those piece are machined/shaped before being installed on the knife. As you point out it's hard to determine what exactly caused the grit issues without hearing from someone in the know.

In any case, I hope this is just a few isolated incidents, this really does appear to be an awesome little knife. A definite buy in all other aspects!
dschur

Post by dschur »

The Deacon wrote:To be honest, no. All I can say with certainty is the the screw on the right side turned fairly easily while the head on the left side would not turn with as much effort as I felt comfortable applying.
I thought the same, my head on the left side would not turn, so I assumed it was in reality the fixed D-Shaped stud all the way through.
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
dschur

Post by dschur »

salimoneus wrote:You make a good point, it could certainly be fiberglass. I figured that was probably not the case due to the CF material being isolated on the outside of the steel liners, and I'd imagine those piece are machined/shaped before being installed on the knife. As you point out it's hard to determine what exactly caused the grit issues without hearing from someone in the know.

In any case, I hope this is just a few isolated incidents, this really does appear to be an awesome little knife. A definite buy in all other aspects!
One thing I was thinking is that from the disassembled photos, it looks like there is one area where the CF is not isolated by the liners - the arc shaped slot. I wonder if the corresponding pin on the blade is a bit thicker than the liner, abrading on the carbon fiber and causing the grit as part of normal break in. Here's the pic with the area I'm talking about:

My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

dschur wrote:One thing I was thinking is that from the disassembled photos, it looks like there is one area where the CF is not isolated by the liners - the arc shaped slot. I wonder if the corresponding pin on the blade is a bit thicker than the liner, abrading on the carbon fiber and causing the grit as part of normal break in.
I could see that area being the entry point of some debris, say if a batch of the CF plates were not thoroughly cleaned before installation, or if as you say the pin was taking off material from the CF plates. The latter could quickly be verified by looking for wear along that track path. These knives seem to already have the grit established in them brand new though, so I don't know if enough wear could have taken place yet to cause that.
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Mine had a bit of grit in the pivot area when I first opened it and before I closed it again I just rubbed out the inside with a dry microfiber cloth on a coffee stirrer and the gritty noise went away. The blade does not rub on the liners on either side on mine. The lock bar does stick a bit on release but I figure that will break in with time.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Well, my Chaparral still has the tang rubbing against one of the liners. I'm not sure where to go from here. I checked my Caly 3 and it looks like the liners are thinned where the tang of the knife sits when closed. I'm not sure if this would help the problem or not though. Otherwise, the knife locks up great.

I'll keep opening/closing it and hopefully the liners and blade wear down a bit. If not, it'll likely sit in its box.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Received mine today, no grit, excellent fit and finish and the basket-weave CF is really nice. I'm sure it will turn out to be great slicer thanks to the thin blade. It will make an excellent EDC.

Thank you, Spyderco! :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Got my replacement Chaparral today. This one is clean and smooth. Just a tiny bit of grit out of the box. But one drop of gun oil took care of it and it's silky smooth now. The blade is perfectly centered and there's no blade play, and no blade or tang contact with the liners. This is the quality and fit and finish I've come to expect from Taichung. My new Chaparral is everything it should be, and will make a great little EDC. :D
:bug-red-white
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

D1omedes wrote:Well, my Chaparral still has the tang rubbing against one of the liners. I'm not sure where to go from here. I checked my Caly 3 and it looks like the liners are thinned where the tang of the knife sits when closed. I'm not sure if this would help the problem or not though. Otherwise, the knife locks up great.

I'll keep opening/closing it and hopefully the liners and blade wear down a bit. If not, it'll likely sit in its box.
I can just fit a standard sheet of copy paper between the blade an the liner on each side. Maybe you are missing a washer?
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Cave Dave wrote:I can just fit a standard sheet of copy paper between the blade an the liner on each side. Maybe you are missing a washer?
That's what I thought but it looks like there's the same size gap on either side of the blade when closed.

It might be something very minute - the grinding of the washer or the liner. The action is pretty smooth now but the tang still scratches the liner when beginning to open. That noise and sensation is frustrating but not a deal breaker.

I'll give the knife some time before I consider taking it apart. I might just have to lightly sand down the liner or clean out some grit near the washer. No way to be sure.
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

Try some dental floss. What the heck it works on my teeth. :p
shimage

Post by shimage »

Did you try tightening the pivot back up after it finished breaking in? Mine stopped rubbing on the liner after I did that.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Great post man. That is a beautiful knife. I love the squared off lock-back cut out.

It's like THE perfect gents knife. Smaller than the Sage, bigger than the Dragonfly, a tiny bit smaller than the Delica.

:::Thumbs Up:::
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ed9957

Chaparral

Post by ed9957 »

I received mine in Canada from W&W. No issues with it, smooth opening and sharp blade. I really like the size, just a bit bigger than the Dragonfly and the handle allows for a 4 finger grip. Nice thin blade, sturdy handle with the liners. It has a better feel in the hand than the Delica. Definitely a nice knife. It will be getting some pocket time. It has the feel of mini Para 2 between the thumb and forefinger if you are using the choil. It is a "true pocket knife" and has an useful blade length for such a compact package. The wire clip allows for deep carry in the pocket and its small size doesn't take up to much pocket real estate. The CF handle offers a good grip, even when wet or when hands or slippery from cleaning fish. My buddy who is a another knife nut and a fan of the Dragonfly zdp is thinking about getting a Chaparral also. A quick stropping of the blade got it scary sharp. I used it today to clean some Sockeye Salmon we caught today on the Fraser River. It was like wielding a scalpel!!

Ed

dschur

Post by dschur »

Nice Catch!

(the knife and the fish)
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I completely disassembled my Chapparal to clean it all out. I noticed there was a lot of polishing compound stuck in and around the lockbar (both ends). I assume it got there from the final buffing of the knives before leaving the factory.

As seen in the photos, all of the handle screws are a paired male-female setup with the female being d-shaped. The clip screw's female end pushes through the scales, liners, and backspacer. There are two screws hidden under the scales; one goes through the liners and lockbar and the other goes through the liners and the backspacer. The pivot uses two male screws that tighten into a bushing whose ends are d-shaped for the liners (see Rockymatt's and dschur's photos in this thread).

Like Rockymatt's and others', I noticed that the blade would rub if I put any force on the blade during opening. It is also really stiff, so I'll being opening and closing it for exercise over the weekend. Unfortunately, loosening the pivot bolts also causes the liners and lockbar to start showing gaps -- just an aestetics detractor. I will say, though, I detest the gap that exists between the lockbar and the backspacer; I find it unsightly given the rest of the fit and finish.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

I got my Chaparral yesterday from German customs, ordered from Howes Knife Shop.
F & f is perfect; the blade is absolutely centered and moves smooth like silk, but with a kind of two "steps" when opening/closing. I assume that it is the stop bolt which has to be broken in a little bit. No scratches on the tang visible; on both sides there is a gap about paper sheet thickness, caused from the installed washers. I will oil the pivot area with some CLP to help breaking in. Any grit from grinding was not found.

I like the design and the material mix, especially the twill CF (my first CF one!). The Chaparral is a very nice gent's folder and will be my EDC from now for a long time (until the 11th Spyderco arrives...).

Thank you, Spyderco folks, for this nice knife!

Andy

P.S. Some pics will follow when I have time to take some "artificial" photos.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Has anyone figured out what the channel is for? I assume it would be CQI, but I just can't imagine how it would help. In my head the knife would be a lot better without the channel at all.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

donut wrote:has anyone figured out what the channel is for? I assume it would be cqi, but i just can't imagine how it would help. In my head the knife would be a lot better without the channel at all.
+1
Come Join Us Click Here