Handguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gac

Post by gac »

coonan wrote:I like both wheel guns and auto loaders but I lean toward the 1911 design. in .357 It has less felt recoil of a .357 Rev. and pushes a 125 gr. JHP at 1500fps. with Fed. factory ammo. It is a fun one for sure !!
Your user name is Coonan and you like 1911s chambered in .357? Who'da thunk it?
coonan

Post by coonan »

Good Eye.
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Hey Bradley, good for you that you got a chance to handle some pistols. I picked up a used Glock 17 not too long ago, not only is it fun to shoot but you can mod the heck out of it pretty easily & for not a lot of money. I would recommend using only factory Glock parts though. My gun is a Gen 2 service duty police pistol from 1989 (according to markings and serial #) probably has thousands of rounds thru it plus what ever I put thru it on a weekly basis. Original barrel, nothing has been changed....(all the serial #'s match) Well I did change all of the springs recently but before the spring change I shot this..... Using reloads by the way.... A huge +1 for the Glock IMHO

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dcmartin2001 wrote:Hey Bradley, good for you that you got a chance to handle some pistols. I picked up a used Glock 17 not too long ago, not only is it fun to shoot but you can mod the heck out of it pretty easily & for not a lot of money. I would recommend using only factory Glock parts though. My gun is a Gen 2 service duty police pistol from 1989 (according to markings and serial #) probably has thousands of rounds thru it plus what ever I put thru it on a weekly basis. Original barrel, nothing has been changed....(all the serial #'s match) Well I did change all of the springs recently but before the spring change I shot this..... Using reloads by the way.... A huge +1 for the Glock IMHO

Nice shooting dc!...Now that you know that puppy is accurate...start practicing spreading them out a bit....Rat holes are fine groupings...but a bullet placed in the same hole for SD is a no no....Doc :D :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Nice shooting dc!...Now that you know that puppy is accurate...start practicing spreading them out a bit....Rat holes are fine groupings...but a bullet placed in the same hole for SD is a no no....Doc :D :D
Copy that Doc! Now if I could only do that with my S&W model 36 I would be a happy camper :D I just sent out my Sig P229 for a short reset trigger, new springs and what Sig calls a "short trigger" better ergos for my wee girly hands :p I will definitely be doing double tap drills and spreading them out as per the Doc's orders !
BAL

Post by BAL »

Bradley wrote:Well, I handled a few guns today, including the Glock 19c, 21sf, and the 30sf. As well as the Springfield xd 45. The Glocks felt like they were molded for my hand, but I didn't get to shoot them. So I still need to find a range that will rent guns. I do however agree with the 45 acp > 9 mm at a 10 rd capacity.
It's funny in a way that you said the Glock felt like it was mold to your hand. That is one reason why many don't like the Glock, the thickness of the hold. However, like you, the gun feels pefect in my hands.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I'm a Glock guy all the way.
Buy yourself a Glock 19 and you'll never look back; it's midsized, not too small, not too large.

Magazines and spare parts for Glocks are super-plentiful and inexpensive. Glocks are ridiculously reliable, as well. Reasonably accurate.

The 9mm round is fine for defense, and the practical stopping ability of this round is roughly equal to the .40 and .45, within reason. Putting the round where it needs to go is more important than the bullet's diameter.

Get training!!!! If possible, after attending a basic firearms course, try to get some "Force-On-Force" training, where people fire projectiles at each other, as in scenario-based training with Airsoft or the like.

Shooting at moving humans who are also shooting back is a MAJOR eye-opener.

Some other brands that I like are the Springfield Armory XD series (In my opinion, they're about equal to the Glock in reliability, etc.).

H&K makes great pistols, albeit incredibly expensive.
Sig Sauers are tough to beat, as well.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
JLS

Post by JLS »

Right on, Jim. I agree with everything you said.

Remember that you are the weapon and the hardware you use are just tools. I realize that this is probably the wrong audience to say this to, but don't get too caught up in the hardware.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

+1 for the Glock 19. That was my first center fire semi auto purchase and I have never looked back. My wife also picks the 19 over all the other guns in the house. 9mm has minimal kick in the Glock 19 and since 9mm is so cheap, we get to pull the trigger more at the range.
To the OP
You are on a slippery slope. First you get the Glock then you get many many more. When I went out shopping, the advice from the local gun store was forget brand and price, go with what feels comfortable in hand. Take some time to raise the gun as you would naturally and see if the sight aligns naturally to your eye level when you point it. If you have to futz with it to get the sight in picture, then you might want to pass. It's good to find a gun that feels good and points naturally in your hand. There are a lot of good alternatives to Glock. I spent a lot of time handling the Springfield XD and the S&W M&P. But the Glock 19 just felt better to me. I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if this is a re-post. But beware Glock needs factory ammo. They don't like lead reloads. FYI.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

S&W M&P series for me.

5" 9mm and 4.5" .45ACP, comp and carry guns. 100 yard head shots with both are easy.
BAL

Post by BAL »

DCDesigns wrote:Hey BAL, thanks! The raptor is one sweet firearm. Once you get over the initial sticker shock, you will be VERY Happy!!! I know what you mean about other semi autos priced well bellow premium 1911's, but even at twice the price, you are getting a lot for your money. The tolerances, workmanship, and quality of a high end 1911 is unparalleled in the gun world. + its been 100 years, and the 1911 is still one of the most popular handguns purchased today. Can you think of ANYTHING that has been sold that long with little to no changes since the original design?

The raptor was my compromise from my original plan to get an ED Brown Kobra Carry. Now THAT would put a pretty big damper on my knife buying for the next year. Take care man!
John Moses Browning was indeed a genius. If you think about history and technology in the world when JMB finished the design of the 1911 (in 1911) and the fact that it has pretty much stayed the same over the past century. Now think about what the Wright brothers were doing in 1911 and think about how that technology has evolved over the same time span. Truly a genius.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

Bradley wrote:Thanks so much guys, all of the opinions are fantastic. I do like the look of a Glock. I will be having my dad "buy" this gun for me, with my money however, so this won't be a hasty decision :P I will be discussing the range idea with my dad tonight to try and find a range/store nearby, I like the idea of renting various guns, with the option of purchasing one "on the spot". As far as concealed carry goes, do you register the gun you will be carrying? Will a certain gun be easier, or more difficult to be accepted for concealed carry? Thanks in advance.
Hi Bradly,

I can only speak for Orange County: First off, all handguns have to be registered by law at the time of purchase.
For concealed carry, you need to shoot a qualification course with the guns you want to carry. Those (up to three) will be listed with Serial Number on your CCW.
For anyone with basic marksmanship skills, the qualification should be easy (heck - it has to be easy enough for Feinstein to pass - OK, Rant off).

The gun are then submitted to the Sheriff's Armorer for inspection. Here in OC we can't have lasers on the gun (Crimson Trace is a No-No) and the trigger pull has to be at least five lbs.

As long as the gun is registered to you and in good working condition, it will pass.

Depending on your county of residence the application will be easy (such as Kern) or close to impossible (such as SF) to get approval.

PM me if you have any questions.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)