Earthquake Philadelphia, PA

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I felt it pretty good here in raleigh. It sounded like there was a huge washing machine in my attic out of balance shaking the house. It didn't dawn on me what was going on but I knew it wasn't blasting at the quarry up the road. This was completely different.

As I understand it here in Raleigh the biggest threat to us is from the fault in Charleston SC. They had a bad one in the 1800's that toppeled fireplaces and a few houses here in Raleigh. Charleston even had a seiche/tsunami and subsidence on the riverfront.

Apparently the New Madrid quakes were felt in western NC but no real damage was done.

We are apparently on the same plate as the area that had the quake today. That's why such a small earthquake transferred so well down here.

I could put a link up to maps at the USGS but I doubt anyone is interested. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Down in Hampton Roads area (Southeastern VA), and we felt it pretty strong. Evacuated all buildings, etc. Very strange - last one I felt was in Caly about 20 years ago, and although it did not "compute" for one to be hitting here, I knew what it was immediately. Nothing else feels quite like it I guess.

Hope everyone is OK.

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
ATV1116

Post by ATV1116 »

I was in Hawaii on my honeymoon 4 years ago when they had the earthquake. My wife and I were on the 42nd floor of our room and it sounded like someone was trying to break down the door. Then I jumped out of bed and looked out the window and it looked like everything outside was swaying side to side. Of course it just looked like that... Our entire building was swaying and shaking. I think in my initial post I said PA was my first EQ, but I was mistaken. I don't know how I could have forgotten about OAHU!!!
In GOD we TRUST! In others we don't... Hence the Second Amendment
JD Spydo

The New Madrid Fault

Post by JD Spydo »

Living here in the western part of the state of Missouri I am constantly worried about the activity of the "New Madrid Fault". When it went into a major earthquake back in the 1800s it caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for more than 2 days. People felt it all the way to Boston.

And it's having worrisome activities as we speak. I am truly surprised at that Philadelphia earthquake because it's not really known to be a troubled seizmic zone. But this may be the domino that starts other faults here in the USA to erupt. GOD help us :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I work near Philly; it shook my office up pretty well and gave me a good startle!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!