Best Online Spyderco Dealer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

CS and KW are my go-to, but I've been meaning to try out NGK for a while too...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
bodie

Post by bodie »

The Deacon wrote:New Graham is my favorite and, AFAIK, still the only dealer to make BladeForum's Hall of Fame. Can't really go wrong with any of the others named here, although I personally avoid those who have written off the entire state of New York over something which involves only New York City.

As others have noted, Spyderco's warranty covers knives purchased from any Spyderco dealer, not just at the Spyderco Factory Outlet. In fact, Spyderco keeps prices at SFO at full MSRP to avoid competing with their dealers.
Agreed, New Graham is the best. The first time I ordered from them they called to let me know that I could switch to the cheapest shipping method because it would get there in the same amount of time. I didn't realize how close they were to me. That's customer service right there.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Definately Warriors and Wonders in Canada. I've received great service from them, and I was so impressed that I told them I'd mention it on this forum.

- best wishes, Jazz.
addylo

Post by addylo »

2cha wrote:Feels like buying from a neighborhood store.
You haven't seen my neighborhood knife store. They charge full MSRP on nearly every knife in the shop. :mad:

It's amazing they remain in business. But then every time I go in there (just to window shop) I see someone get talked into forking over their money. I guess P. T. Barnum was right.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

I put Cutlery Shoppe at the top of the heap, their price and service are unsurpassed, and Jeff is a pleasure to deal with. He really goes above and beyond to satisfy!
BAL

Post by BAL »

salimoneus wrote:I put Cutlery Shoppe at the top of the heap, their price and service are unsurpassed, and Jeff is a pleasure to deal with. He really goes above and beyond to satisfy!
Agreed, CS is my first stop shop, and usually my last. However, I love to see where other people shop, I check them all out and save a link in my favorites.
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

salimoneus wrote:I put Cutlery Shoppe at the top of the heap, their price and service are unsurpassed, and Jeff is a pleasure to deal with. He really goes above and beyond to satisfy!
+1 Jeff and Cutlery Shoppe are my go to Spyderco dealer.
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
Spoelie

UKPK Titanium shipped to your address for $119

Post by Spoelie »

Sierratradingoutpost great deals on spyderco's use this code MAW71870 for 25% discount and free shipping.
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

NGK get my vote!
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Cutlery Shoppe - Jeff
Helpful - friendly - best pricing - fast shipping, and most of the time he has the inventory.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

O,just,O wrote:Can't believe that no one has mentioned Tom Berry, Catamount on this forum. Now the really good thing about Toms service is that he opens the box & inspects the knife for any defects or flaws before sending it to you. For us who don't live in U.S.A. this is a good, good thing because warranty returns are a bit more than a complete PITA
I see so many threads lately complaining of QC issues. Save yourself the hassle, buy from Tom. :)
O.
That's reassuring, i wish more dealers would do this especially if the dealer handling the knife really knows the ins and outs and is picky about what they sell. It would be like having a man on the inside checking your knife before you buy it, which would really ease the nerves a bit when you order online. This is one reason i'll pay more and buy at my local knife shop whenever i have the chance, so i can look over the knife myself before i buy it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I've used many online vendors. Some I would order from again, but only as a last resort or if the price was too good to ignore.

YourCornerStore.com has given me a pretty good experience so far--but I've only ordered from them twice. It took two days for them to ship one of my orders out (IIRC, the other order they sent out within a day), but that's not too bad. Their prices are normally pretty good and I haven't had a problem.

Bento Box Shop? I've purchased from them one time, but only because it was an exclusive. I will never buy anything but an exclusive from them, simply because of their ridiculous "All sales final" policy. They actually think it's acceptable to sell a defective item and refuse to take it back. "Send the brand-new defective knife we just sent you in for warranty service if you don't like it", they say. "No thanks", I say.

KnivesShipFree.com doesn't give pure refunds, even if they send you a defective item. You can either get a direct replacement, a store credit, or pay a 20% restocking fee. This is ridiculous. This means that they could actually send you a defective knife, then charge you 20% for sending it back (on top of return shipping). Now, I have no idea if they regularly make exceptions to this policy. They very well might. But I'm not going to make purchases just hoping to receive exceptional treatment; I'm going to assume I'll be treated as per stated policy. Also, they ship knives in envelopes, not boxes.

Cutlery Shoppe normally has great prices, and the service and policies are good, but the one thing that drives me nuts is the shipping. They charge $8.95 across the board (yes, I know about coupon codes). But it does not cost $8.95 to ship a typical single knife, and even after overypaying for shipping, you get First Class mail, not Priority Mail. This cuts into the apparent savings on the price of the knife. Also regarding shipping: Jeff always sends knives in bubble-wrap envelopes, not boxes. I hate this. I've received $200 knives with boxes that were crushed. (I'm talking about the red and black Spyderco knife box.) I save all my boxes and would like to be able to sell some of my knives in the future, without their original box looking like it spend a day lying on the expressway.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I've used many online vendors. Some I would order from again, but only as a last resort or if the price was too good to ignore.

SpydercoVT.com? I've never ordered from him, and I don't think I will. I can appreciate that he checks each knife before sending it out, but he also doesn't accept returns--at all. I have seen too many disagreements over acceptable QC and product variation to trust anyone else's judgment over what is acceptable.

YourCornerStore.com has given me a pretty good experience so far--but I've only ordered from them twice. It took two days for them to ship one of my orders out (IIRC, the other order they sent out within a day), but that's not too bad. Their prices are normally pretty good and I haven't had a problem.

Bento Box Shop? I've purchased from them one time, but only because it was an exclusive. I will never buy anything but an exclusive from them, simply because of their ridiculous "All sales final" policy. They actually think it's acceptable to sell a defective item and refuse to take it back. "Send the brand-new defective knife we just sent you in for warranty service if you don't like it", they say. "No thanks", I say.

KnivesShipFree.com doesn't give pure refunds, even if they send you a defective item. You can either get a direct replacement, a store credit, or pay a 20% restocking fee. This is ridiculous. This means that they could actually send you a defective knife, then charge you 20% for sending it back (on top of return shipping). Now, I have no idea if they regularly make exceptions to this policy. They very well might. But I'm not going to make purchases just hoping to receive exceptional treatment; I'm going to assume I'll be treated as per stated policy. Also, they ship knives in envelopes, not boxes.

Cutlery Shoppe normally has great prices, and the service and policies are good, but the one thing that drives me nuts is the shipping. They charge $8.95 across the board (yes, I know about coupon codes). But it does not cost $8.95 to ship a typical single knife, and even after overypaying for shipping, you get First Class mail, not Priority Mail. This cuts into the apparent savings on the price of the knife. Also regarding shipping: Jeff always sends knives in bubble-wrap envelopes, not boxes. I hate this. I've received $200 knives with boxes that were crushed. (I'm talking about the red and black Spyderco knife box.) I save all my boxes and would like to be able to sell some of my knives in the future, without their original box looking like it spent a day lying on the expressway.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I'd vote for Cutlery Shoppe and Howes...
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Thanks for the info Knutty.

I definitely agree about BBS. I had a defective Manix M4 that I had to ship directly to Golden. Also BBS will not look at the knives at all. You get whatever they pick. I did a request on one and they said that wasn't fair to the other customers.

I have had good luck with KSF so I cannot comment on returns.

I haven't bought from CS yet, just pre-orderd the orange PM2 so far.

Howes has been great to me, but I always have issues on the almost extinct items,; so no chance of exchange. Jim also ships USP Priority flat rate. I do not know why anyone else would use standard mail. Priority is only a few cents more.

As far as shipping costs; I am not sure if you have shipped lately, but $8 is about standard from everyone. Granted you can insure a package for that cost and I do not think venders insure unless you request it. I always get insurance from BBS even though its probably not needed. $2 to me is more than worth it to cover a $200 knife. Look at all the other etailers; shipping standard is at least $6.95

I have a question that does not exactly fit but close: Has anyone had any experience with goingsharp dot com? They are out of Cali but not sure if they are legit. They have a knife or 2 I want at the best rate. I sent them a message with no response yet and tried to call but wasn't sure if it was the proper#. Thanks
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've never sent a knife back/in after at least 50 purchases.

If I did I would be inclined to contact Spyderco to see if something could be done rather than pulling another scratch ticket. If that wouldn't work I would find a place I could fondle the product prior to acquisition.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Blerv wrote:I've never sent a knife back/in after at least 50 purchases.

If I did I would be inclined to contact Spyderco to see if something could be done rather than pulling another scratch ticket. If that wouldn't work I would find a place I could fondle the product prior to acquisition.
I've had to send back two knives in the past week or two. In fact they were the last two knives I've purchased. Yeah, I'm picky, but these knives aren't cheap. Regarding the "scratch ticket": Any vendor that sends me two defective knives in a row will get them both back and be permanently blacklisted. It hasn't happened yet. Most of the knives I've received have been fine. AFAIC, the warranty is for the period of time after I've already been using the knife; it's not to remediate a knife that arrived on my doorstep in a screwy condition.

Regarding CS: I didn't mean to sound like I was slamming them. I still buy from them and have few qualms about it. They have an excellent return policy. But if I get a knife from them that looks like someone drove over it, they're getting it right back. Golden? Give me a break.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A knife isn't defective unless deemed so by a trained warranty repair staff member.

I have no doubt you're picky. It's a shame you dont understand that Spyderco is manufacturing high performing tools rather than primping enteries for a blue ribbon fair.

Goodluck with the blacklist. It sounds exciting. Personal inspection goes a further distance though.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I have been a dedicated GPKnives fan for years but lately their prices have really gone up and the number of Spydercos they seem to keep in stock has gone down. They are still great with customer service.

More recently I have been a regular customer of Knifeworks. They are great all around and they always keep me happy. I'm going to give Bento Box Shop a try very soon too.
ronfaircloth

Post by ronfaircloth »

I purchase regularly from Howesknifeshop, Cuttlery Shoppe, K&R, Knifeworks, Blade HQ, Bento Box Shop, Knifecenter, & spydercovt.com (Tom Berry) and
have never had a problem with any of them. I've always been given excellent service in all respects from each of them. Who has the best price will vary. They are listed in no particular order.

I can not recommend New Graham Knives. I simply haven't experienced any others that I haven't listed. They may be great.