Trading better than selling?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Trading better than selling?

Post by jackknifeh »

A couple of months ago I started selling on ebay. I sold a few knives that I never used. I really liked most of them a lot though. I sold them to get knives I thought I would use more. That was a successful experience.

Then I had the opportunity to trade one of the knives I hadn't planned on selling for a Gayle Bradley. I love the Gayle Bradley and the person I traded with says he loves his new knife also. We are both happy and money wasn't an issue. Now I'm thinking I might have been able to trade the knives I sold with more satisfying results.

Any thoughts on this? I wouldn't know how to openly trade knives.

Jack
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

is the domain name bladetrader in use? wouldn't be a bad idea... I wonder if spyderco would be cool with opening a "for trade" section of the message board.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Trading is great, it skips the middle man. Often you can break even when trading, but you almost always lose money selling.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I really like trading.
I have not been burnt yet but you have to trade with established people.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I think the reason trading "feels" better than selling is because selling creates a disconnect between the losing of a knife and the buying of a new one. Getting rid of a knife sucks, but getting a new knife feels great. When two parties trade it removes the "middle man" and both parties get exactly what they want. Getting money for selling a knife just doesn't feel quite as tangible as getting a knife in return.

There is a direct connection between giving something up and getting something new. I love trades.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I would MUCH rather trade then buy or sell !!!

And the BEST TRADE is when BOTH parties think they got the "better deal" -- it's a "win/win" for both people ---------------- I LOVE TO TRADE :D

Anyone interested in a "slighty used" 51 year old WIFE --- I'd trade her for two 25 year olds AND i'd pay for shipping :eek: :p
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DaBird wrote:I would MUCH rather trade then buy or sell !!!

And the BEST TRADE is when BOTH parties think they got the "better deal" -- it's a "win/win" for both people ---------------- I LOVE TO TRADE :D

Anyone interested in a "slighty used" 51 year old WIFE --- I'd trade her for two 25 year olds AND i'd pay for shipping :eek: :p
How about a heavily used by **** near everyone 54 year old wife? One requirement. NO TRADE BACKS! :D I checked and it's ok with her. Gives her a whole set of new husband's friends to "meet". :D :D

Attempted humor of course.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I didn't know trading was so favorable. I can understand though because I had the same feelings described here. The absense of money was a great feeling. Unless you are trading exact models in the same condition (who would do that?) there will always be a difference in the "buy new" price. But who cares when both parties are happy? Someone said it's great when both feel like they got the better deal. I think that's what happened with my first trade. I traded my bug for a Gayle Bradley. :D I'm quite the salesman.

I haven't actually read the policy Spyderco has but I understand there is no buying or selling (nothing clearer needed) through this forum but maybe trading is looked at differently. It seems to be by the few who have participated in this thread. A trade category on this forum would be nice. Are there trade forums anywhere?

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally i would love to see a trade-only sub forum because many of the people on this forum frequent it everyday and i would feel better trading with someone i've chatted with many times than someone i didn't know (or seem like i knew anyway).

Besides, i have absolutely no doubt that selling/trading still goes on through PMs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

A trade only forum would be awesome here. I think that trades are just much better and more fun than just paying cash.
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

DCDesigns wrote:I wonder if spyderco would be cool with opening a "for trade" section of the message board.
jackknifeh wrote:I haven't actually read the policy Spyderco has but I understand there is no buying or selling (nothing clearer needed) through this forum but maybe trading is looked at differently. It seems to be by the few who have participated in this thread. A trade category on this forum would be nice. Are there trade forums anywhere?

Jack
Nope, no trading allowed either. See the Selling/WTB/LOOKING FOR/WTT Forum Rule sticky on the General Discussion page.

Most of the forums that are always bought up for selling knives (knife-bst, bladeforums, etc.) also allow trades or have a trading-specific section.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Trading never works as well as selling/buying. In a few situations it's seamless because Person A wants Person B's item and the same is in return. It's balanced, perfect, and with a hand-shake life is good.

The problem is that the world isn't perfect and while I may like your ___ and want it I believe my ___ is of more value. Worst case I don't want your ___ and simply want cash to buy something specific. Trading items vs money is always a pain because it's more difficult to prove that one person didn't actually give another the product. With exchange of funds the legal tracking and security of even Paypal makes a bartering system antiquated.

I have traded knives before and had a good experience. Still, it's hard to argue the civilization step away from bartering of goods to a established currency system.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Guys...

Spyderco makes NEW knives to SELL to people.

I could do a 500 word rant about it but 8 words seem to sum it up nicely.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I've sold on eBay and traded, usually on Blade Forums, and had good experiences both ways. I really like dealing directly with our "knife bros" and find most honest and honorable. But there's always that little concern with a trade. It's kind of like traffic laws--you trust that hopefully everyone agrees to obey them. However, I will echo Evil D's comment that selling often involves a bit of a loss, especially if you factor in the eBay seller fees of nearly 10 percent. If you're selling a relatively common Spyderco, for example a Delica FFG, you're up against many dealers. In order to make your knife more attractive, you may have to price yours a little lower--and you didn't buy yours wholesale. And then there's postage/shipping. If you've got a rare collector's piece, it's a different story; you may be able to charge enough (or set the auction/reserve high enough) to get what you want AND cover the fees and shipping. But it's all a matter of what the market will bear and how much someone is willing to pay for what you've got.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

If you're looking for used goods, trading is great, always been a big fan of the barter system. Why allow third parties and the government to continue placing fees and taxes on the same item and same dollar so many times over? It's ridiculous when you think how many fees and taxes are involved when used goods change hands.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I have always enjoyed partial trades. Putting a few knives together + a small sum of cash to pay for an expensive knife. Just bought a Lion Steel recently with this method. Both ends benefit quite nicely!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
concerning trading, i've never posted a trade myself, only looked for spyderco's and other knives i've been interested in to be put up for trade.
when i found someone posting a knife i wanted, who didn't exactly specify what they were looking for, i would offer something up.
i have a selection of knives that i've lost interest in that i offer from.
if they're not interested in what i offer, no problem.
i wish them luck with their quest, and continue mine with other posts.
i've traded for several spydies, and some other brands, but never traded away anything i wasn't ready to let go of.
i've never traded away a :spyder: !
never had any complaints, on either side, because of accurate descriptions, and lots of pics.
i've always felt like i traded up, even though i may have lost a little money value in the knives i traded away. but those knives were bought some time back, and interest in them had waned.
the knives i've received have always been models that i was looking to buy anyhow.
so as long as the poster decides he wants one of my trade offers, all is good.
just my experience.
yours may differ.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't have any luck with trading and found much easier and faster to sell the knife, which I do not like or need and use $$ to buy what I want. For successful trade you need to find somebody who wants your knife and will to give away, the knife, which you want. In addition to that both of you have to agree on trade values, which is not always easy.
During last years I sold over 30 knives on BF and e-bay and traded only one. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have had 100% success in trading knives. Of course I've only done it once. :)

Blerv mentioned that Spyderco was in the business of selling new knives. That's true. I hadn't even thought about that.

I still like the idea of trading even though there are a few possible negatives. When I traded I mailed my knife to someone I didn't know. He mailed his knife to me on the same day. I think they arrived at each location on the same day also. We each depended on honesty. If you do that often enough someone is going to get taken sooner or later. But I'm going to err on the side of honesty for now, not that I have a lot to trade any more.

Jack
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I'm more of a fan of buying though. Maybe because I really can't trade with only one knife. Problem is, I'm looking for a beat knife. Something that's like 50% off of the original price because of age/condition... and for some reason... all the knife people take too good care of their knives. :p