Just broke my ZDP Dragonfly...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCDesigns

Just broke my ZDP Dragonfly...

Post by DCDesigns »

:(

I just knocked my dragonfly off my porch, and unluckily it landed right on the tip on concrete. The tip broke, and is too large to repair/ignore. I dont believe this is the ZDP's fault, any steel would not have fared well...

Would spyderco be willing to send me a replacement blade? or would I have to send it off for repairs?

How long does that usually take?

Thanks a ton, im really bummed about the fate of my most recent spydie! :mad:
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

OUCH! My condolences on the damage to your D'fly. :(

Spyderco does not replace blades. You'll have to send it in for repair (grinding). There will be a nominal fee involved, I think. Best thing is to contact Warranty & Repair to discuss with them. Usually, they will want to physically see the knife before proceeding.

I've only ever had to send in one knife to W&R, a C50 whose liner lock would not engage the blade's tang. I don't recall exactly how long it took, but I think it was less than a month. However, times do seem to vary. You can try a search of the foums to get a ballpark figure maybe?
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Sorry to hear about this DC. How much of the tip broke off?
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think that the repair will cost you $20 plus S&H from Spyderco customer service. As mentioned they do not replace entire blades. Service times vary, but usually 2 or 3 weeks before it gets back to you.

Do you have a pic of the damage?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

All great advise. But, s--t happens.
Don't sweat it.
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Is the tip broken far enough up the blade that after regrinding the new tip would be exposed when the blade is closed? If so, they may need to grind the spine to lower the tip position on the blade.

Sorry about your misfortune.

Jack
unit

Post by unit »

Yeah, bummer.

Good on you for realizing that it is not the knife's fault. Spyderco has gone on record that they will not replace blades. They will repair them for a fee. I have heard stories that occasionally they do not charge for some repairs, but I would not EXPECT this to be the case (but who knows, you might get a pleasant surprise?)

ZDP is great stuff, but perhaps the worst steel for dropping (not that you meant to). As you point out, other steels would have either bent or broken the tip as well, but they would be easier to repair ;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

You messed it up. I doubt it's the fault of ZDP-189. Any knife that lands tip first on concrete isn't going to fair too well.

They don't send out blades. They will repair it for a $20 fee I believe but it's not going to be the same length. I think they will regrind it to a point again (maybe).

Buy another one.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
olorin15

Post by olorin15 »

I've done that (dropping on concrete) with a Sebenza before, and just did it to my new BM Ritter yesterday, and both survived. BM got a tiny nick on the edge, which came right off with a couple passes on a ceramic rod. Sebbie never showed any sign of damage. Both are stonewashed S30V blades. Just saying... while it's not a good thing to do, the outcome may be partly due to the difference in steel.
Dopeler effect - the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter, when they come at you rapidly.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

This thing is definitely beyond repair... I could regrind it myself, wouldnt be hard at all. 1/3 of the blade has cracked off practically though. If they cant replace the whole blade, im not wasting the money. Thats kinda screwed up...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

David Lowry wrote:You messed it up. I doubt it's the fault of ZDP-189. Any knife that lands tip first on concrete isn't going to fair too well.

They don't send out blades. They will repair it for a $20 fee I believe but it's not going to be the same length. I think they will regrind it to a point again (maybe).

Buy another one.
...Thanks? check what I said, I acknowledged it wasnt the steels fault... but whatever.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

ZDP is a harder steel than most, more brittle. Same story with CTS-20CP, S90V, etc.

That coupled with the fact that you're talking about a small knife, with a fairly thin blade, it might not be the best steel for that sized knife if it's going to get banged up, especially the delicate tips.

A good reason to go out and replace it with the G10 Dragonfly :) It's likely VG10 would have faired better.
shimage

Post by shimage »

DCDesigns wrote:If they cant replace the whole blade, im not wasting the money. Thats kinda screwed up...
Considering that 1) the cost of the knife is mostly just the cost of the blade, and 2) Spyderco buys whole knives from the manufacturer as opposed to pieces of knives, I don't think it's "screwed up" that they won't replace the blade.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Ebay it and get a new one. Someone will give you some money for it for parts.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Sorry to hear about your dragonfly, stuff happens, just order a new one and save the old one for parts. next time you might break the handle and everything will work out. ;) I have broke many knifes thru the years, but so far the Spyders have stayed safe. (I think that I may have jinxed myself now though)
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

salimoneus wrote:ZDP is a harder steel than most, more brittle. Same story with CTS-20CP, S90V, etc.

That coupled with the fact that you're talking about a small knife, with a fairly thin blade, it might not be the best steel for that sized knife if it's going to get banged up, especially the delicate tips.

A good reason to go out and replace it with the G10 Dragonfly :) It's likely VG10 would have faired better.
Actually S90V and CTS-20CP aren't that much harder than VG-10. 61 HRC at the most while ZDP is going to be closer to 65. While 4 points doesn't sound like much the Rockwell scale is logrithmic so it is a big jump in hardness.

As mentioned Spyderco doesn't replace blades, even ones made in Colorado. One reason is that knives are constantly being improved so a new blade may not fit right if there has been a modifications to the design. Another reason is that Spyderco has put out a ton of different knives and they would need a warehouse just to store all the parts for each knife to be able to replace parts. It is easier and probably more cost effective to just replace a warranty issue with a new knife. While it may be frustrating to not be able to replace just the blade, there are some pretty good reasons for it. At least you get to pick out another knife to get.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

grind it yourself and leave it in your car or tool bag as a beater
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

tonydahose wrote:grind it yourself and leave it in your car or tool bag as a beater
In the process of doing so ;) . I think I m going for a modified sheep's foot sort of look. I may call it a calves foot because its so small, lol. It will work for something. Perhaps opening packages where I do not want to cut too deep, could be perfect.

I ordered the H1 version a couple days ago, prior to learning the blade cant be replaced. When I get it, Ill swap it into my british racing green handle. At least Ill have a dragonfly Salt that isnt piss, i mean marine, yellow. :rolleyes:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Turn it into a Balance shaped blade maybe?? You still have a good sized chunk of ZDP there. Be careful of the HT, but you probably know that already :) Just throwing out an idea. Appoach the surgery positively and it'll help you feel a lot better about it :) It'll still cut really well.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Mitko

Post by Mitko »

DCDesigns wrote: :(

I just knocked my dragonfly off my porch, and unluckily it landed right on the tip on concrete. The tip broke, and is too large to repair/ignore. I dont believe this is the ZDP's fault, any steel would not have fared well...

Would spyderco be willing to send me a replacement blade? or would I have to send it off for repairs?

How long does that usually take?

Thanks a ton, im really bummed about the fate of my most recent spydie! :mad:
:-) Quickly! Get a new one! :D