Best Online Spyderco Dealer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
littlenomad

Best Online Spyderco Dealer?

Post by littlenomad »

Hi, I'm new to Spyderco. I just ordered a Para-Military 2 from thespydercostore.com and have been pretty pleased with the purchase, although the knife wasn't as sharp as I thought it would/should be.

After ordering from thespydercostore.com, I stumbled upon an older thread here that was critical of that site (ca. 2006). Have things changed for the better since then? It's not that I want to deny the official Spyderco site my business, but if I can find official Spyderco knives cheaper from larger retailers, I'm going to go that route.

What are your suggestions?

Also, if Spyderco knives are purchased from retailers besides Spyderco, are their warranties still valid?

Thanks!
log man

Post by log man »

Thespydercostore.com is an independent Spyderco dealer. So no foul. Poorfish, Howes, spydercovt, The Cutlery Shoppe, etc are all good sources.

LOG
jossta

Post by jossta »

Welcome.

Reputable shops are Cutlery Shoppe, Knifeworks, Knife Center, Howe's and a few others. Just have to check around for the best deal.
littlenomad wrote:\Also, if Spyderco knives are purchased from retailers besides Spyderco, are their warranties still valid?

Thanks!
Yes
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

My two favorites: Cutlery Shoppe, Howesknifeshop

Backups (more expensive and larger, overall): Knifecenter, GPknives, spydercovt.com

The Spyderco store's prices are pretty high compared to what i'm used to. Whatever you do just try and avoid places like "Tactical Outpost". Chances are if their site looks cheap and they are not mentioned here then they are a scam site. Keep in mind that some of the cheapest retailers we have listed have sites that could use some work, but they are tried and true dealers that all of us use so you can feel safe using them.

Honestly, if you don't intend on buying sprint runs I would just use Cutleryshoppe.com and howesknifeshop. You will always get the best prices and service cause they are small retailers with little overhead.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I've used CS and KC occasionally. Good retailers, CS usually is better on price, but both have good customer service. The warranty is not affected by the knives being sold by a retailer.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Let's not forget New Graham, they like Howes are good people making an honest living by selling us products at fair prices. GP is also good to deal with and have a good site and selection though sometimes their prices are slightly higher. I have purchased from others to get a knife that may not be available elsewhere. Preorder is often required for sprint runs. Jim at Howes has always done well for me. There is sometimes a wait at CS but they have great prices and have always done me right.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

New Graham is my favorite and, AFAIK, still the only dealer to make BladeForum's Hall of Fame. Can't really go wrong with any of the others named here, although I personally avoid those who have written off the entire state of New York over something which involves only New York City.

As others have noted, Spyderco's warranty covers knives purchased from any Spyderco dealer, not just at the Spyderco Factory Outlet. In fact, Spyderco keeps prices at SFO at full MSRP to avoid competing with their dealers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Can't believe that no one has mentioned Tom Berry, Catamount on this forum. Now the really good thing about Toms service is that he opens the box & inspects the knife for any defects or flaws before sending it to you. For us who don't live in U.S.A. this is a good, good thing because warranty returns are a bit more than a complete PITA
I see so many threads lately complaining of QC issues. Save yourself the hassle, buy from Tom. :)
O.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

O,just,O wrote:Can't believe that no one has mentioned Tom Berry, Catamount on this forum. Now the really good thing about Toms service is that he opens the box & inspects the knife for any defects or flaws before sending it to you. For us who don't live in U.S.A. this is a good, good thing because warranty returns are a bit more than a complete PITA
I see so many threads lately complaining of QC issues. Save yourself the hassle, buy from Tom. :)
O.
Someone did, it's the spydercovt.com that was mentioned above.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Thanks, I see it now.
O.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spydercovt, Cutleryshoppe, Poor_Fish on eBay, etc.

I wouldnt think twice shopping from NGK or Howes (I just haven't yet).
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I do Cutlery Shoppe since Jeff has earned my loyalty like Spyderco has. Great prices and he will fix any issue he can! For stuff that he doesnt have, I sometimes go thu ebay.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

Knifeworks is my No.1 "go to" by far. Roger is a great guy to do business with.
But New Graham, Bento Box Shop, Knife tree, and a few others already mentioned are great also.

However, because of cost and convenience, I personally try to avoid the "brick and mortar" stores if possible.
Slash

Post by Slash »

They are all good...if the price is right. :)
jason yao

Post by jason yao »

warriors and wonders
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As mentioned, prices may range a little bit, but all the dealers above are good people to deal with and have good reputations. I might be missing a couple that I can't think of right now (it's getting late... ;) ), but here's a recap of some I've used so far and that others have listed (with common forum shorthand/owners in parenthesis). I've included links to the websites for your convenience.

Cutlery Shoppe (CS/Jeff)*
New Graham (NGK)
Spydercovt (Tom/Catamount)
Howe's Knife Shop
Knife Center (KC)*
Knifeworks (KW/Roger)
Grand Prairie Knives (GPK)*
Poor Fish (also on eBay)*
Bento Box Shop (BBS)**
Spydietalk (Mike)*
Sierra Trading Post (STP)* (I don't think they're a dealer, but when Spyderco discontinues knives, they have some great deals here + sign up for the newsletter and they almost always have an additional 25-35% off coupon code)
Warriors and Wonders (Canada)

*stores I've personally bought from before
**I haven't bought here yet, but have a preorder in that's due next year
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice job jabba359.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

O,just,O wrote:Can't believe that no one has mentioned Tom Berry, Catamount on this forum. Now the really good thing about Toms service is that he opens the box & inspects the knife for any defects or flaws before sending it to you. For us who don't live in U.S.A. this is a good, good thing because warranty returns are a bit more than a complete PITA
O.
I got my Chaparral (and a few other Spydies) from Tom (SpydercoVT.com) for exactly this reason. He inspected the Chaparral before shipping at my request, and I received a perfect one! That level of service is definitely worth a few extra bucks, especially for the more expensive knives.

As for prices, I found that no one dealer consistently has the lowest prices for all models. Part of the fun of this hobby/addiction is shopping around among the reputable dealers looking for a special deal!

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bal wrote:nice job jabba359.
+1

Can we create a sticky on this topic?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Tdog wrote:Let's not forget New Graham,
Feels like buying from a neighborhood store. Knifeworks is one of my favorites too.