pretty disappointed in my Carpenter para 2 sprint :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RobC2 wrote:Assuming the markup is the same percentage, then they should have the same ability to "toss" the ones that don't pass QC. It has been said that prices are set based at what the knife costs to make, not what the market will bear, do I don't see why it should be different because a knife is more expensive, it is just percents. Add in the fact that sprints are not discounted as much as normal models in retail and it gets worse. I would rather have a scratched Corvette than a flawless Cobalt too. But if I paid for a new Corvette, I would want it to look like a new Corvette. Never mind that a scratched Corvette and a non-scratched one both go like ****, or that both a Corvette and a Cobalt will both get you where you are going. That is not the point.
It's not about markup, I guess. It's about limited quantities.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

GoMeR , glad you have decided to send the knife in. I think the sooner the better. Then let us know how you made out.

The whats acceptable argument is getting to be like a dead horse with maggots. Its been repeated I imagine a hundred times to call Spyderco or send the knife to them. In the end it will be their call and asking for others opinions is IMHO juvenile. You can look at old threads to get your answer if you really want opinions. Its pretty much the same every time and in the end the OP will have 2 choices. Live with it or send it back.

The same goes for the country of origin quality comparison. Spyderco is Spyderco. They chose the makers , and I make the assumption they are doing their best in Golden to make the best products for the price no matter where they are made. I don't know why I feel annoyed by these comparisons but I have a feeling its got something to do with the fact that those that make these comparisons do it without much knowledge of what it takes to make a perfect knife.

1 last thing . sometimes its helpful if people actually read previous post rather than assuming a thread is going negative. I feel this thread stayed pretty friendly and only 3 posts in the OP got the opinion he eventually decided on himself.
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

Blerv wrote:I would avoid buying sprints or only do so from places you can look them over. These are less production models and more semi-custom in the number produced. 600-1200 simply isn't the size of run that allows as much room for accuracy.
Not sure what you're saying here. If knife production errors decrease with time or quantity (the company gets to work out the kinks), then a sprint run and production run might still have the same error rate for the first few hundred pieces, then both would taper off similarly assuming company production processes remain constant. The sprint run would have the same piece-wise errors as a production run (up to the sprint limit) but those errors would be a far greater percent of the total run. Is this what you meant by accuracy?
Blerv wrote:As a functional tool you bought the one of the best performing tools in the world at any cost. As jewelry maybe not.
True enough, yet we try to park in the safest spot when we go shopping with our new car the first few times. There is a difference, rational or not, between a dent someone else gives us without permission, and the ones we give ourselves through wear and tear.

Perhaps I've just been lucky with my two sprints so far, and CS just shipped my 3.5 Caly Blue, so hopefully I'll be 3 for 3 on Monday.
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Jim from Howe's knife shop has contacted me and my issue has been resolved, I am sending the knife back and it will be replaced with another example of the sprint.

As I stated I have received nothing but excellent customer service from Howe's, per our emails Jim is a very stand up guy and I would be happy to deal with him again in the future.
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

GoMeR wrote:Jim from Howe's knife shop has contacted me and my issue has been resolved, I am sending the knife back and it will be replaced with another example of the sprint.

As I stated I have received nothing but excellent customer service from Howe's, per our emails Jim is a very stand up guy and I would be happy to deal with him again in the future.
Might want to add "resolved" and update the first thread. Lots of people skip over the posts in the middle.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Cool! Jim is a real good guy! He has gone out of his way to help me. Good news!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I was holding my breath because I had ordered one of these same Para 2 sprints from the same batch and it arrived from Howes today. But I'm very pleased to report that the one I received (date code EK) was perfect in every respect. Even the grind was perfect.

This particular model with the 20CP steel has become my absolute favorite knife to date (although there's a good chance that might change when the M390 version makes its appearance some time next year).
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

GoMeR wrote:Jim from Howe's knife shop has contacted me and my issue has been resolved, I am sending the knife back and it will be replaced with another example of the sprint.

That's great news. Glad it is being resolved in this manner.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
vic

Post by vic »

David Lowry wrote:Spyderco makes knives that beg to be used. If you want to buy collector pieces you might want to start buying Case knives or Gold Class Benchmades.

These are such first world problems that it's almost funny.

Use your tool.
do case and benchmade have better quality control than spyderco then?
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Cave Dave wrote:Might want to add "resolved" and update the first thread. Lots of people skip over the posts in the middle.
I believe I did both of what you are asking as soon as i found out but if there is something I missed feel free to pm me with your concerns?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

vic wrote:do case and benchmade have better quality control than spyderco then?
At least there'll be less complaints here about F&F. ;)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

GoMer since this has been resolved, if you choose to you may delete this thread by choosing edit on the first post and deleting it. There seems little reason to continue this thread since all is well. Of course that is up to you. There seems little reason to continue beating a dead horse. Just my 2 cents
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Tdog wrote:GoMer since this has been resolved, if you choose to you may delete this thread by choosing edit on the first post and deleting it. There seems little reason to continue this thread since all is well. Of course that is up to you. There seems little reason to continue beating a dead horse. Just my 2 cents
I think that's a good idea but I think the thread should stay up a day or for those who read it and have not been back will know its resolved.
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

GoMeR wrote:I think that's a good idea but I think the thread should stay up a day or for those who read it and have not been back will know its resolved.
Good call. Deleting this thread just because the issue is resolved is tantamount to sweeping problems under the rug. Why delete this thread if it may help out a future member?
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I am glad it was resolved.
I do not think it should be deleted but it should be locked now.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I agree and think it is important to remember that these are production knives and, in the case of sprints, limited numbers exist. To expect the dealer to accept a return (especially to expect the dealer to exchange the knife for another of the same sprint) is, well, I'd say "optimistic" at best. I also think that the definition of "defect" is getting stretched mightily in some cases. :(
The Deacon wrote:The fact that people buy something as a collectors item does not mean it the manufacturer intended it as one. But, assuming a dealer is willing to inspect, then the question becomes, inspect to insure what? Just as peoples opinions of what is acceptable in a production knife are going to differ, so will their expectations of what a dealer should look for, and what they should consider grounds to reject a given knife. Those expectations could range from the extremely reasonable, making sure the correct knife is in the box and that it appears to be intact, to the extremely unreasonable, absolute perfection at 10X magnification and razor sharp to boot.

As for collectors, I still go back to the advice, which I never personally heeded, of a collector of semi-production fixed blades the cheapest of which are more expensive than any Spyderco. "Buy five, keep the best and resell the rest".
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

FlaMtnBkr wrote:How long ago? It's a Sprint run and once they get shipped to dealers then Spyderco no longer has any. The knife shipped a while ago so I can't imagine they have any left they haven't shipped. Maybe he can get lucky if he hurries. I've had problems with 2 different sprints and they didn't have a new one to give me and I sent them in quicker in relation to when they first started shipping.

Glad you got yours fixed but they can't give out new ones if they don't have them.
I sent my knife off about 4 weeks ago and got my new one last week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]