Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

Military

Post by Waco »

I just noticed that the Military comes in a left-hand version and was thinking about trying one. I have two concerns. First, it's bigger than my Endura, which makes me wonder if it will be comfortable for daily carry. Second, it's a liner lock. My only experience with a liner lock was one that wore out and got loose long before the rest of the knife showed any significant wear.
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

the millie is my favorite spyderco knife! It is sooooo light for its size, and not terribly obnoxious for what you get. It does take up a lot of space, but if you carry an endura now you will love this knife. I wear wiley x gloves a lot, and the 5 in handle is perfect. As for the lock, I have never and never heard of one failing. Mine did develop some play, but some tweaking tightened it right back up. Overall, it is perfect imo, and I hope they never change it.
"I'd rather get blown up than look stupid."
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
Anon.Alpha

Post by Anon.Alpha »

I carry a PE Military as my EDC/utility knife. It's the most ergonomically comfortable folding knife I've ever carried. I think that this is because of it's size.
If you want to get a south-paw Mili though, you may want to wait for the Military 2. As I understand it, it's suppose to have all the same attributes as the Para-Military 2, i.e., "...ambidextrous-friendly four way clip which carries tip-up/tip-down, left/right-hand..." (from the catalog).
Speaking of the Para-Mili 2, if you like the Mili but are put off by it's size, it may be the knife for you.
"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." ~William Shakespeare

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." ~Mark Twain
Mad

Post by Mad »

When is the 2 comin?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sometime this century, unless something goes wrong along the line. ;)

No one outside Spyderco knows what stage of developement the Military 2 currently occupies. It could be released as a Christmas surprise (yeah, right) or it could still be five years out. Don't hold your breath waiting.

My Millies have held up very well, with tight lockup, no discernible-to-me play and never an inadvertant lock release. It looks huge, but it carries a lot smaller than it looks.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Was it said if the compression lock was going on the military 2?
On the hunt for...
Anon.Alpha

Post by Anon.Alpha »

yablanowitz wrote:No one outside Spyderco knows what stage of developement the Military 2 currently occupies. It could be released as a Christmas surprise (yeah, right) or it could still be five years out. Don't hold your breath waiting.
Wow, that sucks! I didn't realize that the release date for the Military 2 was so nebulous. I've been drooling in anticipation ever since I saw the Para-Mili 2 and heard rumors that the Mili 2 would follow it's re-design lead.
"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." ~William Shakespeare

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." ~Mark Twain
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

yablanowitz wrote:... Don't hold your breath waiting.

My Millies have held up very well, with tight lockup, no discernible-to-me play and never an inadvertant lock release. It looks huge, but it carries a lot smaller than it looks.
Anon.Alpha wrote:Wow, that sucks!
I don't have problem with that! The millie is quite good enough for me.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Was it said if the compression lock was going on the military 2?
I believe it was being designed around Sal's stop lock. I think you can see the PDF for the patent application of the lock here.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Whether any given knife is "too big" is a very personal decision. The Military is too big for me because it won't ride loose in my back pocket and that's where I've carried my knives for nearly sixty years. On the other hand, a lot of folks swear by it, so they must not share my opinion. As for liner locks, passing on the Military because of a bad experience with another brand would be like passing on a Toyota after a bad experience with a Yugo. The Military is a very well built knife and has been in Spydercos lineup for around 15 years, with few legitimate complaints.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

+1 for what Deacon said. It's an amazing knife. Not all people love it, but no one would argue with the design and build quality. It's in my top 3 all time spydies for sure.
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Waco

Post by Waco »

Anon.Alpha wrote:Speaking of the Para-Mili 2, if you like the Mili but are put off by it's size, it may be the knife for you.
I hadn't really given that one much consideration, but it does have some nice features.
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

It shrinks after you carry it for a couple of weeks...
BAL

Post by BAL »

CubistHamster wrote:It shrinks after you carry it for a couple of weeks...
+1 on that.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Most amazing knife, had one of the first in Holland in 1999, lost it and found a few other ;) this year.
Large knife, light-slim package. As I carry it on my back in my waistband I forget about it in 5 minutes; but it is truely THERE! :rolleyes:
I prefer carrying it against any Endura. I am sure that the entire charm, feel, ergos etc. will fit you too, no doubt! Besides that I never had any issue with a (Spyderco) liner-lock. I prefer the ease-of-action of a liner above the backlock.
The only downside might be the mentioned 'No-Knife-People'-fear of seeing such a large blade coming out of your pocket....
Tom
coonan

Post by coonan »

I have had a Military for 14 years with no problems at all, love it so much I just picked up a Brown millie I am sure you will also like it .
Waco

Post by Waco »

toomzz wrote:The only downside might be the mentioned 'No-Knife-People'-fear of seeing such a large blade coming out of your pocket....
Yeah, I've gotten the "He's got a knife!" reaction to my Endura. I'm lucky to live in a knife-friendly place like TX. Most people still recognize pocket knives as tools. Before I bought my first Spyderco, I was looking at a SS Endura in a hardware store. I commented on the large size and the guy behind the counter pulled some knife out of his pocket that was significantly bigger for comparison.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Anybody have a picture of a Military, a Para-Military 2, and an Endura side by side? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Para-Military 2 because, if anything, my Endura is bigger than I need.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here you go.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.