Your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

My first Spyderco was a white Endura 4. I now own the Spydies below.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BAL

Post by BAL »

I saw Michael Janich using and training with one on THE BEST DEFENSE TV show. Great show by the way if you have never seen it. He didn't say what brand of knife is was, but he had the Spyderco logo on his shirt. I did some online research and came across the Spyderco website and this forum. I do a ridiculous amount of research before I but anything, so I would visit the forum to get opinions of the knives. I picked up an old blue one-piece handled Delica at a Gun Show that someone had apparently tried to sharpen with a grinder. I rescued the little fella and have it razor sharp now, although it still looks rough. I am not sure what it is about Spyderco knives but there is a crazy addictive quality that they possess.
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

ERRR! My hart is still recovering from the loss of my g-10 Civilian I bought back in 09. This was not only my first Spyderco but it was the first knife I spent over $80 for and when I got in hand to truly examine it I immediately knew what quality was.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Endura 4 Black Blade CE was my first. Best folder I had to that point in my life and I EDCed it all over the world. I was so impressed that I picked up a Ladybug SE for my key chain and a Delica for trips to DC after I discovered knife laws on the Internet. Now they just seem to follow me home a lot...
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I was grabbed by the Green Chinese Lum. That beautiful curve just sucked me in :) Still love carrying it on occasion.
Attachments
lum chinese folder small.jpg
lum chinese folder small.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

In the 90's when it was the new blade to be had and red didn't come on just the trainers. :)

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Mine was a Delica from the early 90's, I still have it even though it is a bit banged up on the handle but the blade is still great.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Mine was the SS SE ATS-55 police. Lost it. :( didn't buy a spyderco for.about a year. Next got a Harpy. Then a few months later a mini dyad. I carried both of them for the next 15 years. Then just this last Christmas, I got a delica. Then a endura. Then a h1 dragonfly. Then a rescue. Now I'm feeling the itch again. :-)
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Police SS PE was my first about 12 years ago. I had about 5 of them since, and still have them btw. Now got about 60 :spyder: 's in my collection and it's still growing. :rolleyes:
juggler

Post by juggler »

I was searching the internet, trying to learn how to sharpen my good old SAK (which was getting a bit dull).

You know how it goes... I ended up on knives forums, discovered these strange-looking knives with a hole in their blade, and finally ordered two of them :

_ a Centofante III : I liked its classy-yet-different looks, and it seemed to be quite a cutter (it is !);

_ a stainless steel Jester : the perfect keychain knife, small enough to be carried all the time, yet more than adequate for most cutting tasks. I should have bought two. Or three.

Oh... and my SAK is still dull (but not for long, hopefully : a SharpMaker was in the mail today).
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

My first Spyderco product, was a sharpmaker. My first Spyderco knife was a Meerkat. I really like interesting and unusual and the Meerkat is both of those. I still carry it today as my EDC. This is what started my addiction with Spyderco.
phils

Post by phils »

I started with a 203M sharpener that I bought from Sal in KC at the knife guild show. Soon later I lost my carry knife and ordered my first - a lh worker. I loved it and became a dealer.
Today I am no longer a dealer and my usual carry knife is an Endura.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

My first was the SS Police. Had to have been... 1999-2000 ish. I had to have it... I think a policeman friend of my dad had one or something. It took a few paychecks to accrue enough expendable cash (16 year old boys get into the lifeguarding business for a lot of reasons... none of which is the high pay :p ), but I managed to obtain one. Since then, I've had probably half a dozen of that model alone. A few of them have walked away, some have been given away, and one broke (through no fault of manufacture or materials... it was a user headspace and timing issue). More often than not, the one I still have (ironically, not the most recently purchased... I believe this is #2, thought it had grown legs on me, and then found it in a coat pocket several years later) still gets the prime spot in my left front pocket.

EDIT: May I just say DiKa, you clearly have fine taste in knives :D . I'd have complimented you pre edit but I neglected to read your post... apologies.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Caly, Jr. Gray Sprint was my first. The Tasman was the one that got me hooked though. The Caly Jr. now resides with my girlfriend.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

In reading the previous posts I found it ironic that someone else's first Spyderco was a knock-off. This was also true in my case. Cheap piece-o junk that the blade wobbled in. My first real spydie was an old Delica my brother gave me. It was beat up and didn't do much for me. At the time I commercial fished and fixed blades were my primary knives. At some point I aquired a Spyderco police and still didn't have the bite. My first Spyderco that got me going was the Aqua Salt. Still one of my favorite Spydies (have 3). Now have over 30 others and love the new designs and steels. The Para 2's are probably my favorite at this moment. But really love all those in my small collection. It's hard to have a favorite when they are all really so great. Thanks to those at Spyderco.
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

In 1995 I bought a Delica with a full spydie-edge in G2. I still have and use that knife.
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

Although I'd known about them for years, I always thought Spyderco knives looked kinda weird with the holes and the humps and stuff and there was no way I was going to pay $60+ for a pocket knife. A couple of years ago while looking for a replacement for my cheap Gerber pocket knife that I had lost, I ran across the Byrd line at a prominent online retailer. I was intrigued by the lines of the Flight model and it started me investigating other Spyderco knives. That's when I found the Tenacious. It was priced right and had a certain appeal so I took the chance and bought it. I'd never had a knife that was so smooth and solid, and the fit and finish were absolutely perfect. I was immediately hooked. Now I have over 20 Spyderco knives, some quite high-end, and every one I get makes me want more. I have the sickness... :D

That Tenacious is a gateway drug, I'm tellin' ya! :spyder:
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Mine was a blue ffg Delica this past January. Since then I have bought 5 others and a Drangonfly 2 is currently in the mail. 1 per month seems like a pretty good pace.
Spyder Count: 7
xCarbonSteelx

Post by xCarbonSteelx »

New to the Sypderco and the forums. I just dove in and picked up a Manix2 and Ambitious.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

welcome CarbonSteel

My first spydie was purchased this past January . It was a 440v PE military . I bought it at my local knife shop. I didn't realize it was from 1997 until I got home and saw it on the box. I wasn't hooked but definitely broke my addiction for another knife company. Now I have 15 :spyder: Thanks spyderco