Your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

Your first Spyderco?

Post by On Edge »

Just thought it might be interesting to see what Spyderco model drew folks into the fold ...

Mine started innocently enough - I picked up a Spin to do double duty as an EDC and a money clip ... and that was all she wrote ...

So, let's hear some stories of your first Spydie, and how you came to own it ...

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
wingman_214

Post by wingman_214 »

Bought a paramilitary 2 a month ago to replace a gerber ar 3.5 I trashed in a motorcycle accident. I now own 5 spydies.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Endura drew me in. I wanted one since I was tall enough to see into the glass at a knife/outdoor store. Got one when I was 16, but lost it camping.

C95 is what drew me back in but stupidly enough, I've never owned one for a significant period of time. I think the C95 is responsible for my interest in knives as an adult period, not just Spydercos. I guess I should get another one. I guess I'm holding out in hopes that there will be a sprint.

At this point though, the one model that keeps me around is Spyderco's business model :) .
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I bought a Tenacious with a gift card, never suspecting it would soon turn into over 150 more :spyder: s.
:bug-red-white
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Bought a NIB Endura stainless SE on ebay in June 2007. Bought it thinking I would turn around and sell it. Over fifty spydercos later, I still have it and I'm still buying.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My first was a Native, which i carried for about 5 years or so. Oddly enough it wasn't the Native that really got me hooked, it was the Delica 4 that replaced it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Waco

Post by Waco »

I found a spyderco knock-off in a box of junk. I really liked it, did some research, and learned a lot about Spydercos. After much consideration, I ended up buying an Endura, which I'm still carrying. I gave the knock-off to my oldest son.
APS

Post by APS »

Mine was a fully serrated Endura, ordered from the Cutlery Shoppe in 1990 or so. Their catalogs would have me drooling for hours.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My first was also a Tenacious. Then I got a Sage3, saw my preference for a finger choil, and gave the Tenacious to a friend.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
shimage

Post by shimage »

My first Spyderco was a blue Lum Chinese folder. I got it to use as a gent's folder, but it was bigger than I was expecting and I rarely carried it anywhere. I went 10 years with just a minigrip and the Lum before finally picking up another knife. It would have been a Calypso Jr in my pocket all those years if I'd known how to close a mid-lock back one-handed back then.
r small

Post by r small »

I bought an "Executive" back around 1989. Stainless steel, 2 1/4 inch blade. A gentleman's knife. Very nice knife. I still have it. Through the years I've bought about a dozen more Spydercos including a few that I gave away.
p8ntballer8491

Post by p8ntballer8491 »

My first Spyderco was a Tenacious. I ordered a plain edge from Amazon in order to see if Spydercos appealed to me, but I recieved a partially serrated. I didn't like it and returned it immedietley. It took my a couple months to make the decision to try it again, and so i orederd a plan edge Tenacious (and recieved the correct one). I fell in love with the knife, and went ahead and made my first major knife purchase, the Sage 1. That was last summer, and now I have 14 spydercos.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

My first spydie was a red ce ladybug I picked up at a boatshow about 15 years ago. Didn't have any friends until about 2 years ago when I bought a native and it all started. Now the red ladybug has over 30 friends and counting...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Slash

Post by Slash »

got a blue zdp delica 4 on the aftermarket. that was a sprint run and I hated the steel. difficult to sharpen and micro chipping. even still, I didn't give up on Spydies.
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

My First Spyderco was a Lava. I fell in love with the design and just had to have it..... Kind of obsessed about it you could say. Sadly at the time there were none to be found. Determined to find one I searched high and low. I found one at Terä-Asekeskus, a store in Finland if you can believe it! I live in Los Angeles! After a week of more searches on the internet I happened to come across a store in Riverside (about 50 miles away from me) that had one. One single solitary Spyderco Lava.... Paid $228 for it with tax and shipping but i cared not! I finally had a Lava in my hot little hands. I have around 30 Spydies now and not a single regret :D
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Mine was a Native i got off of craigslist for 30$ last year whilst i was getting frustrated at waiting 5 weeks for another knife company's warranty "process". Ever since i've had at least 20 different Spydercos and currently own 8.
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

My first Spydie was a Terzuola, but didnt know about Spyderco and traded it for a hewhoshallnitbenamed Benchmade AFCK. They both had round holes...I didnt know!! So, me real first Spydie was a black almite Cricket. Used it as money clip until you couldnt fly with knives. That buy was in early 90's. I didnt buy another Spydie until 2008 when i decided I wanted EDC money clip when not flying...Spin...and the rest is history
On Edge wrote:Mine started innocently enough - I picked up a Spin to do double duty as an EDC and a money clip ...
You are obviously highly intelligent!! :D :D :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My first was a Persistence. That was between Xmas 2010 and New Years 2011, I now have 24-ish. Be many more if I were employed!
On the hunt for...
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

A Flat-Iron folder back in 94-95. My first real knife aside from a SAK. Man I miss that knife!
Couple years later I replaced it with a Rookie. Gifted that to a buddy headed to Iraq.
It was a Military that really bit me though. Think I have about 40 or so now.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My first Spyderco was sharpmaker.
Shortly after that I purchased Native for $40 at Walmart to try S30V. A month later Kopa Cocobolo, than Tiger and Apple Corals................
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian