Mini Grip

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gunnut35

Mini Grip

Post by gunnut35 »

I found a mini grip in D2 steel on sale so I ordered it on Monday and it arrived today. This is my first griptilian and I absolutely love it. It will not replace my Spydercos but it will be in my EDC rotation. This thing is flawless and smooth.
Stefan Roth

Post by Stefan Roth »

+1 for the Griptilian. I have a 553 with a S30V blade. Orange Grip. Great value.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

It's the first "high quality" folder I bought, mostly because my local shop only carries a limited stock and it was recommended by the clerk. The pivot action is one of the smoothest out there. I wish I knew about thumbholes back then and gotten one of those instead of the thumbstud version. I wish Benchmade put a thinner edge on their knives but I fixed that myself. :)

Overall, a good knife.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
mkd

Post by mkd »

i bought several benchmades before i ever came in contact with the spyderco knives i now own.if you thing the mini grip is smooth try the 740 or 745 dejavoo. it is the smoothest knife i have ever opened. all the axis lock knives can be adjusted at the pivot screw so they virtually swing open and closed once the lock button is held back.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

ive had some benchmades over the years-no issues with qc or sharpness-
im down to a sibbert mini pocket rocket-it could be said its over built,has m390 steel-

for 4-5 years my work edc was a strider pt 99.99% of the time-since my dfly it hasnt seen the light of day -it cost 1/10th the $$$
D56

Post by D56 »

My first Benchmade was the mini grip. I bought it in US in about 2004 for $60 IIR - they now seem a bit pricey - But I suppose they're still worth it. Full liners, axis lock - mines been back once for repair, an omega spring failed. Came back with new omega springs, pocket clip, scales, washers...in fact it was the same blade in a new knife! Great customer support from Benchmade.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bought one years ago, and returned it. Wasn't impressed. Not a fan of thumb studs, wouldn't buy anything but a Spydie with a round hole.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

[quote="wouldn't buy anything but a Spydie with a round hole.[/QUOTE"]

i fell the same way and just did not feel right getting one with the thumbhole. I was not sure about the thumbstud but with this lock it is not a issue at all.
I am still a hardcore Spyderco fan but lately I am getting a little burnt out on them and had to try something different, and I am happy I did get it.. :D
r small

Post by r small »

I have a mini grip with the thumbhole. Opening and closing is like buttah. The axis lock is slicker than possum fat. But I have a soft spot for lockbacks too so the mini grip shares duty with my Delica.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I agree with the above positive statements. I had a Mini-Grip but gave it to my Dad. My EDC folder is 550HG Griptilian because I prefer the lock and handle to the Endura.

I prefer Spyderco fixed blades and Benchmade folders.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

+1 on the Mini Grip....Other then some Benchmade autos I have,The Mini Grip is my favorite Benchmade knife. so smooth and one of the best and strongest locks in the industry....I bought the Pink one the company brought out for Breast Awareness Funding....I don't mind carrying a Pink Knife at all..specially if it's for a good cause and it's a Mini-Grip...Enjoy that little beauty....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great color/steel combination :) . That would be the Grip I would buy.
Slash

Post by Slash »

araneae wrote:Bought one years ago, and returned it. Wasn't impressed. Not a fan of thumb studs, wouldn't buy anything but a Spydie with a round hole.
If you're hooked on holes. Go check out the bone collector series.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Traded my only Benchmade, a Mini Grip (just like yours except I had a satin blade), for a Caly 3. It was a sweet little knife. Extremely smooth, fluid opening and the Axis lock is exceptionally strong. If I was to get another Grip, it would be full-size, and would have the thumb hole :)
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Just bought one on eBay, with a Custom Made Damascus blade. Should be in this week!
I agree, this is truely a handy little blade, and a bit different from My Spydies. You know what they say, variety is the spice of life !
Charlie
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nothing to be ashamed of! Even though my Spyderco to BM ration is 10:1 I adore the little Blackwater 16707. The G10 & Axis lock make for one heckuva nice knife.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Another mini-grip fan. Bought before I really got into Spyderco. Gave it to my son when he was 11--you can always tell when he's coming,... flick, flick, flick.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I almost got a mini bone collector before I got my Delica. I'm sure there great knives, but I'm glad I went with the Delica. Spyderco FRN is a great value and you can almost buy 2
of them for the price of one BM. I still might get one of there fixed blades for hunting.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I ordered one yesterday. It's going to be my EDC. Seems like it will be a great knife!!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I had a mini grip with the Wilkins aftermarket scales on it, still not happy with myself that I sold it. The scales were kind of a milky green, beautiful knife. Sometimes we get so hung up on Spyderco we forget to check out the other guys. Benchmade makes some really nice knives too, as well as several other makers. I love my Spyderco's but there is always room for some other makers in the EDC rotation.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.