Coloured handles : thumbs up or thumbs down ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
juggler

Coloured handles : thumbs up or thumbs down ?

Post by juggler »

Out of the five Spydercos I own, three have a coloured handle : blue (obviously...) for the Sage 3, purple for the Ladybug and yellow for the Salt (my latest purchase).

While it's not exactly a top priority when choosing a knife, I quite like the fact that Spyderco often makes this option available.

So... what's your take on coloured handles ?

Who likes them ? Who doesn't ?
For those who do, do you choose colour over "plain old black" whenever possible, or does it depend on the knife itself ?
Are there some colours you always come back to ? Some you wouldn't be caught dead with ?
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I can go either way. I tend to to think of knives as utilitarian, so black, gray, etc. Are fine by me. But I do like a little variety, so color is nice. I alo like the color orange, so my ukpk, urban and manix CS sprint work well for me. At the end of the day, i have nough knives where color is becoming more attractive to for more variety.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

I love the colored Delicas! :) There was a thread just a few days ago about the Pink Delicas. Some for their wifes, etc., and for the men to carry as well. Less scary I 'spose. For me, you can't go wrong with the colors. :D

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
wingman_214

Post by wingman_214 »

I like black, grey, maybe dark blue for edc. I don't want to be attracting too much attention. But I can see the usefulness of high visability colors.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thumbs way up! Not so much for me... I've only ever bought one as a gift... but the NKPs love em'. It seems that a knife is inherently less threatening looking if it has a purple handle :p . Whatever gets pocket knives back into pockets is good in my book :D .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Love em :) . Prefer muted ones tho. Light or dark rather than primary color brightness.

Dark blue or burgundy would rule.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I like subdued colors, dark green(BRG or Lil' Temp), dark blue, brown - don't care for black or bright colors.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I love colorful knives. If there is the option I will always get the colored version instead of the black one as long as the color isn't pink. It brings more variety to the knife drawer.
Spyder Count: 7
r small

Post by r small »

I'm with Henry Ford on this one. I like any color as long as it's black.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Not a big fan of the colors. I wish I could get the Delica and Endura FFG models in black. I also agree with Henry Ford on this one (thanks r_small). I like any color as long as it's black.

I think that knives should have handles made of metals or alloys, wood, G10, Micarta, bone, or stag or even FRN (in BLACK ONLY) :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

I am not a Ninja, at least if I was... I would not tell you, so therefore I do not need to have every knife I own a stealthy black. It's nice to have some color, though my radical experiment in colored Spydercos only consists of Gray at this point.
:spyder:74:spyder:
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I like the darker greys, blacks, dark and light greens so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in my pants.

But its not a break or make deal for me. The only colored handled spyderco I have is a Dragonfly 2 salt.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm not at all fan of any bright colour for my knives. Black, darker grey, navy, olive green those would be colours that I would gladly take. However, given that with Spyderco I often don't get a choice, I will take what I have to in order to get certain steels. The upcoming blue Para2 with M390 being a perfect example...I really....really...reeeeeally, do not want any smurf blue. But I do want M390. So I suck it up and get it, then see about changing the colour so it doesn't look like I have a gd smurf in my pocket.
On the hunt for...
Stasis

Post by Stasis »

I like colored inlays, (like the blue bone Kopa I just got today... :D ) but something about brightly colored G10 and FRN just turns me away, particularly blue like the blue Dodo or the Sage 3.

More subdued colors like gray or foliage green are fine, but I'm not a fan of other colors. They don't do anything for me, so black is just fine. :)
salguod

Post by salguod »

I'm all for the colors. Variety is nice! High visibility colors are useful in situations where the knife could otherwise be easily lost. Color personalizes the knife for those who like that. I can give my wife the same blade that I have and we can still tell them apart. What could be nicer than his and her Dragonfly2’s? I wish the ZDP-189 Dragonfly2 came in multiple colors. As many have already pointed out; colored knives are less threatening than "Ninja Black". A non-menacing color may allow you to carry a larger knife as your EDC without upsetting the community. Virtually every knife model will also come in black for those who prefer black. I see no downside here; nobody is making you carry a girlie colored knife.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I'm a big fan of the colors. My two most common EDC Spydies are my orange Millie and grey Para 2. Makes the knifes raise less eyebrows in public, plus I just plain like the colors. Every folder seems to come in black, nothing wrong with variety.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I like the colors, too. Bright colors are less threatening to many, and easier to find when set down on the ground or floor.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

I`ve always liked basic black in knife handles. But I really like the fact that Spyderco gives us choices of different colors. I have Spydercos with handles in several different colors to add some varity to the basic black these days. :)
Hold Fast

David
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I'm really digging the brown G10 and I like the colored Delicas too. I have the Sage 3 and while the color isn't my favorite it goes great with a pair of jeans.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Up, love the colors. Lets see some more coloured G10. I would love to see dark(purple)blue! For as far as the grey PM2 (20CP) and the Caly sprint (SB) it will be RIT-time. I will dye both handles ;)
Tom