Bark River PSK- Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tea

Bark River PSK- Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

Post by tea »

I'm thinking about picking up a PSK. It's been on the list for awhile. I've never handled one, but I've always liked the way it looked.

I normally use an Urban or Dragonfly. I'd like to have a fixed blade option of similar proportions. From looking at the dimensions it appears the PSK would be similar in size to a Dragonfly- although with very different ergonomics. I'll add that I have an Izulu, but I find it too big, a bit clumsy, and definitively too 'tactical.' I also carry a Caly3 and Delica on occasion, but find them unnecessary for most of my daily chores. I prefer the subtlety of the smaller Urban and Dragonfly.

The original PSK's were in 12C27. I believe the new production is in 154CM. I've never had a 154CM knife before. What's everyone's thoughts on the steel?

So... Anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I currently have two bark rivers, a coffin handle bowie and a mini skinner, both in A2 steel. They are well crafted knives, more akin to customs than production knives. I think 154CM is a step or two up from 12C27. I have a Manix 2 in 154 CM that has seen tons of use without chipping or any other complaints. Takes a great edge without as much effort as contemporary super steels.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Can't speak from experience with brk. Their knives look amazing and I want some but I can speak on 154cm. Have a two spydies in it and a few emersons. Its a great steel. Very corrosion resistant in my opinion and holds a good edge too. Not as good as S30V but not a bad steel by far.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I have a 12C27 PSK
its a almost perfect "little big knife" in that it fills my (large) hands well, but has a little over an inch of blade.
If i remember i will grab some pics of it with some of my spydercos side by side.
Heres a pic of mine with a Surefire A2 (Orange scales, with Glow spacer and black frames)
power is nothing without control
tea

Post by tea »

Thanks for the picture Echo63. The glow spacer's a nice touch. A read up a bit more on 154CM and it seems to be a good choice considering size and application. Like Spyderco, I shouldn't doubt BRKT's choice of steels. They know what they are doing.

All that to say I put the order in. As most here can understand- the minute a knife catches the eye it is only a matter of time...
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Ok here is another pic, its rather average, but shows the relative sizes between the knives
top to bottom
Boker Wharcom
Spyderco Cricket
Bark River PSK (Orange G10, Glow Spacer with black frames)
Spyderco Dragonfly (Modified with Engraving and Convexed blade)

I Quite like mine, it rides in a KSF Adirondack Pocket sheath with a Surefire A2
I dont carry it too often (a simple SAK is easier to explain to the constabulary) but when i need a small sturdy little blade it is great.

I have a BRKT Necker (with Green Linen Micarta scales) and a BRKT Gunny with bloody basin spacers too
I would say the quality and service and warranty are equal to Spyderco.
the convex edge is a bit tricky to sharpen the first few times, but you soon get used to it, and it seems to keep slicing longer than a similar knife with a V bevel (to my experience anyway)
power is nothing without control
tea

Post by tea »

Despite the pictures, I was still shocked when I opened the box. This is a tiny knife. No complaints about quality or construction- it;s a well crafted blade. For its purpose (Fit in a tiny emergency kit) the design is also impressive.

It's just too tiny for me. I don't feel comfortable using it at all. I've done all manner of chores comfortably and successfully with an Urban and/or DragonFly. Maybe if the PSK's handle had a choil or some bulge or something....

Maybe I should have went with the Lil Creek.
angusW

Post by angusW »

It looks like it would need a fob added to the end to increase the gripping ability. Like that knife a lot. Do they come with a leather pocket sheath now?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
tea

Post by tea »

Yes they do come with a leather pocket sheath now.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Here's the comparison temp ;) .