Model Suggestion: The Spyderco Delphinus

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I’m a right hander but often like to carry and deploy on the weak side to free my right pockets for more frequently accessed items.

I see the flipper as potentially augmenting/complementing the Spyder hole. The OP suggests a feature that peaked my interest; that a flipper will facilitate weak side carry, as the mechanism can be easily opened with either strong or weak hand. Of course this feature is null on Spyderco designs that are inherently ambidextrous (i.e. on midlocks with traditional Spydiehole and many liner lock designs), but does make a lot of sense on designs featuring RIL and some liner locks where the hole is partially obstructed for left hand use and especially when the clip is designed for right side carry only. Good examples are the Perrin PPT, Viele C42, and the Zowada C56. All three designs are biased against left hand use.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

If there is a spyderco flipper folder in the works, I would hope that they use the IKBS system for the pivot. I have a CRKT ripple with the IKBS and it is SOOO SMOOTH! I also read that IKBS can be used by any knifemaker for free, so long as they submit their design for approval to the inventor, so there should not be that added cost.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
jossta

Post by jossta »

I swear I read that it Brad was planning on it, but I could be completely off.
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

Why would you put a flip in a spydie holed blade? Gimmick, sure, but it would only cause problems IMHO.. But the Michael Burch, in the pic, is AWESOME!!! :)