Spyderco 2012 Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knife is a "factory custom" Spyderco Stretch featuring cocobolo scales behind stainless steel liners. It was given to me by Sal Glesser earlier this year. I chose it as my subject because the Stretch is my favorite Spyderco, because this one is beautiful, and because I feel honored to have received it. The photo was taken today, July 27th, in my garden, against a background of wood chips.
Attachments
bolstered_cocobolo_stretch.jpg
bolstered_cocobolo_stretch.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bflo

Post by Bflo »

The pic is of a 154CM Manix 2, which my lovely wife just purchased for me. I’ve wanted a spyderco for years, and now I am addicted! I took 5 different shots, and combined them to create this image. I have a higher resolution version of the picture.
Attachments
Cropped Manix 2 Infared Low Res.jpg
Cropped Manix 2 Infared Low Res.jpg (98.03 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
Simona

Post by Simona »

I´m sending my pic and allow me please short explanation, as "dapagco" mentioned at the calendar thread start :

I chose :spyder: Shabaria from following reason: I think Shabaria is one from mostly mystical knives, what Spyderco & israeli knifemaker Edouard Bradichansky (as a Shabaria designer) produced.

BECAUSE it´s a very special knife, I made very special real background for the knife photo.
It´s a handmade wood tablet which is made from forest oak. Basic work I did with chainsaw and next work with zillion tons of different sandpapers. :) Uf!
Tablet is heavy, weight is 45kg.
And final color of the wood is blue stain, plus slight polishing.
Easy to recognize, tablet is a David star with a six angle glass inside, where is placed jewish dark red handmade skull cap.

Join me in please, here´s the pic:

Post by 1623 »

Upon reading of Blackie Collins passing, I decided to do a bit of research on him and found a short article from an Atlanta newspaper that brought a smile and also inspired me.

I find it remarkable that even at such a young age, Walter Collins knew exactly who he wanted to become; and did it. A true American dream within the heart and soul of a child.

Blackie Collins still remembers the words of his second grade teacher, Mrs. Fryer (he never knew she had a first name) when he told her what he wanted to be when he grew up.

The other kids in his class at Harlee Grammar School in Florence, S.C. had the usual dreams; fireman, nurse, doctor, etc. but little Walter Collins looked at the world differently. He still does.

“I want to make guns and knives” little Walter told his teacher.
Mrs. Fryer had made some sort of supportive, positive comment on each child’s wish...until then.

“She got a very stern look and said, "By the time you’re grown there won’t be anymore guns and knives” said Collins, who came of age somewhat that day. “I didn’t understand anything about teachers being liberal, but even then there was a hardcore resistence to outdoor stuff.”

No matter. Mrs. Fryer obviously didn’t make much of an impression because Blackie Collins designs have been sold in the millions in the last 25 years or so.

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Simona,
Did u cut out the star with the shabaria!?!?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Called the "July 4th Endura" :D

Spyderco Endura4 with RIT Dyed Scales.
Come Join Us Click Here
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Yeah French Endura!! :D

How did you do that?
I think one scale come from a trainer, between the scales is from a white endura but where does the blue one?
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
captnvegtble

Chokwe

Post by captnvegtble »

This photo is submitted on behalf of my wife and I. It's called "Chokwe stares down African Elphant." Chokwe is one of my favorite knives and the picture is meant to highlight the African heritage of the knife. Thanks!

*** Edit: This photo is sharp on my computer but shows up blurry here. Anybody know why? I've tried saving it in multiple formats.
Attachments
IMG_5996_chokwe2.jpg
IMG_5996_chokwe2.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
bd51

Post by bd51 »

This is a photo of my BRG Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 in a fountain in my backyard. The blade is blocking some of the fountain hole, causing the water to shoot up into the air and around the blade. Thank you Spyderco for such a cool contest.

spliggs

Post by spliggs »

Well, I've been going to take some new pictures of some ideas I had for this, but realized time was running out. Figured I'd dig through my current pictures and at least post one up in case I don't get to taking some new ones before time is up...

So, while not up to the same standard as many already shown here, here is mine (for now). A Delica4 plain edge and Salt I spyderedge hanging out together...
Attachments
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Like a wildlife photographer would photograph a flock of birds, I unleached my swarm of Spidies. This provided a nice picture in which I wanted to included the different materials Spyderco used over the years. I included different handle materials and blade steel. Of course this means including some nice oldies. Enjoy!!

Knives Used:

C03PS Hunter
C08 Harpy
C71PTI Salsa Titanium
C49GP Tim Wegner Jr
C130CF Chicago
C11PTI Delica Titanium
C67GYP R2
C145GP Zulu
C10PBBK Endura 3
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

just an idea for those who can take good pictures greeetzzzz :) famillie is the most important thing "defend it"
Attachments
L1040534.JPG
L1040534.JPG (99.63 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
L1040533.JPG
L1040533.JPG (93.97 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

bartvdb wrote:just an idea for those who can take good pictures greeetzzzz :) famillie is the most important thing "defend it"
Reminds me of the story I grew up on "Sal Glesser and the Three Bears!" :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
kts

Post by kts »

:rolleyes: Image
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Here is my photo, It was taken in the Adirondacks at my hunting camp. In it is my Ukpk slipjoint that I made wooden handles for, You can't see the knife, only the silhouette but that is what makes it great. Thanks for the Contest

Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Knife

Post by Knife »

After using many knives, floated to the top of the Spyderco Tenacious. that is my EDC knife. With this picture I tried to present that. I called this photo "On the top".

I have this photo in full large format.

Trainman

Dragon Fly 2

Post by Trainman »

This amazing picture was taken by my daughter. I love how it shows the craftmanship of the blade. The Dragon Fly II really is a great looking knife.
Attachments
DSCN0560resize.jpg
DSCN0560resize.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

The Spyderco Delica is an amazing value for what you get. Compared to other knives, what seems like pocket change gets you a fantastic knife.

Creepo

Dragonfly by the lake

Post by Creepo »

Found this little Dragonfly buzzing around the lake so I snapped a picture as it landed on some rushes. This specimen happened to be sporting an amazing beautifully etched tattoo on it's back that is truly like no other I've ever seen on a knif... I mean dragonfly. :cool:

C28T Dragonfly Tattoo
Attachments
C28T by Creepo.jpg
C28T by Creepo.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
Momma J

Sage 1

Post by Momma J »

The Sage 1 is by far my favorite knife I have owned and wanted to show it off. Didn't intend on having the water flow through the Spydie hole but when it happened I thought it was pretty cool.
Attachments
IMG_0266resize.jpg
IMG_0266resize.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 4526 times