Need oil/lube/grease suggestions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeyondRazor

Need oil/lube/grease suggestions

Post by BeyondRazor »

Basically I use the rescue and assist series of knives a lot. These are excellent lightweight knives and have been using them for a long time. Usually I will clean the knives and then oil the hinge with WD40. I know there are better products available for making the knives easier to deploy what should it be?

Thank you! :)
"If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut!"
dschur

Post by dschur »

If you want to keep is simple, cheap and effective IMO - Break Free CLP. I started using it on handguns and just naturally carried it one to my spydies. Works great, cleans a bit as it lubes.

Recently I've tried something a little more purpose built - Rusty's Rags (http://www.rustysrags.com/) and his oil. While it works quite well in it's own right it doesn't seem to mix well with the CLP (and I prefer that for the pivots). It's definitely less pre one to dust/lint than CLP, but my verdict is still out on it in a big way,
Iole

Frog lube

Post by Iole »

I just discovered Frog lube. It is green and safe on skin.

It is like seasoning a frying pan over time. It seem to make all steels stainless, that's my definition.

http://youtu.be/9kOxD2Zcl54
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

A lot of folks like Tuf Glide or Miltec which are both lubes that go on wet, penetrate well, bond with the metal and then the liquid evaporates off leaving a dry lube behind that doesn't attract dirt or dust, inhibits corrosion and lasts a long time.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

White Lightning Easy Ride on most everything except a dedicated food prep knife, then i use food grade mineral oil.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

mongatu wrote:A lot of folks like Tuf Glide or Miltec which are both lubes that go on wet, penetrate well, bond with the metal and then the liquid evaporates off leaving a dry lube behind that doesn't attract dirt or dust, inhibits corrosion and lasts a long time.
+1 on both TufGlide and Militec. Both are extraordinarily good products.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I use Quick Release which I am very pleased with. :)
jcullen

Post by jcullen »

Rem oil is my favorite......
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The truth is that unless you are a diver or using the knife for food prep, it really isn't critical.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

TuffGlide or Mineral Oil are my two favorites.

WD-40 doesn't work well as lube in my experience, it breaks up dirt and displaces other liquids though so works great for cleaning pivots before lubing with something else.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What I use and why:

There are two things to consider, corrosion prevention and lubrication. Most products will do both, some are better at one or the other.

1. Tuf-Glide and Tuf-Cloth by Sentry Solutions.
Bonds with metal so even after it dries and you wipe off any excess there is still a corrosion prevention barrier on the steel. I've been using it for a few years now and haven't had any corrosion. Good lubricant.
(http://sentrysolutions.com/)

2. Quick Release is supposed to be like Tuf-Glide as far as corrosion prevention and bonding to the metal. I've used it some and been very happy with it. According to testimonials on their web site it is an outstanding lubricant.
(http://quickreleaseoil.com/)

3. Finish Line. This is a wax based lubricant used a lot for bicycle maintenance. It dries with a dry wax coating. White Lightning is a wax lubricant also and I've heard good things about it. If a lubricant is used on bicycles that are going to be getting wet, dirty far more than a knife it seems logical that it will provide excellent protection against dirt for folding knives.
(http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/lubechoices.htm)

I bought a Kiwi3 about a month ago. It doesn't have a pivot screw that can be adjusted. As usual I drowned the entire knife in Tuf-Glide for corrosion prevention and lubrication. Within a few days the knife opened and closed easier than at first which is normal. Then the opening action seemed a little dry. I put a little more Tuf-Glide on it and it was very smooth again. Three days later it felt dry again. I used Quick Release and it was smooth again. In a few days it felt dry again. I put Finish Line (the wax based lube) in the pivot and it has remained perfectly smooth for 3 days. If it stays like this for 4 more days I will be of the opinion that it provides better lubrication. Then I will use Tuf-Glide on all metal surfaces and Finish Line in the pivot or wherever there are moving parts. The Kiwi is the first Spyderco I've had the issue of the pivot feeling "dry" in just a few days after lubing it.

About wax lubrication. It seems logical that a wax based lube will dry leaving a waxy film inside the pivot area to keep dirt and moisture out. I understand you need to apply it a little more often than other lubes. Every couple of months or so.

This is my experience for the past 4-5 years during my own search for good corrosion prevention and lubrication. Maybe it will help you.

Jack
Butaangas

Post by Butaangas »

Thanks for the info for me aswell. I've ordered a few. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:The truth is that unless you are a diver or using the knife for food prep, it really isn't critical.
Not critical, but it makes a world of difference on some knives, particularly compression locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If I feel a knife needs additional lubrication I just put a drop of 3 in 1 oil into the pivot. Wipe off the excess and you're good to go :) It is rare I find one that needs some lubrication. :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I use food grade silicon lube. Just in case I want to cut an apple or food packaging, I would rather not be getting WD40 or other petroleum based products on my foodstuffs. Also, some petroleum based products will melt certain plastics, so you have to be careful.
You may have to use it more often than WD40, but if you cut food or food packaging, I would recommend it.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:Not critical, but it makes a world of difference on some knives, particularly compression locks.
My personal opinion on the ideal lube for framelocks and compression locks is CRK grease, but there's a ton of room for YMMV as long as it's not going to get into food.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Imo, it is important to avoid using lubricants that leave a sticky film because they tend to attract and hold dust and grit. That is why I like Tuf Glide and Militec which go on wet for good penetration and coverage, but then the liquid carrier evaporates leaving the dry lubricant (which has bonded to the metal) behind. Plus a small amount goes a long way. I'm not even half way though a 1/2 oz bottle (with needle applicator) that I purchased about 5 years ago.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Sentry Solutions TuffGlide here also - and Tuf Cloths.

I used to use Ballistol but the container is too big, smells like sour feet and gets EVERYWHERE AND it has a used by date. Ballistol has good knife customer service though which counts for something. When we asked them about copper washers and Ballistol one of their bosses actually got back to us with an answer. Because its some sort of mineral organic compound I guess they cant do too much about the smell.
the ob

Post by the ob »

so if I might possibly want to cut food the best thing to use would be food grade mineral oil? Or silicon grease?

any specific one?
Stretch zdp-189 blue handles / Caly 3 carbon fiber / Delica 4 FRN / Sage carbon fiber / Perrin PPT / Massad Ayoob / Delica 3 black DLC coated / Lum tanto sprint / Michael Walker CF ZDP-189 (x2) / Gayle Bradley
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

the ob wrote:so if I might possibly want to cut food the best thing to use would be food grade mineral oil? Or silicon grease?

any specific one?
THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION.

I don't use my folders for food prep frequently but will occasionally peel potatos or cut a sandwich with my knives. I've never used any FDA approved lubrication on my knives. I use Tuf-Glide from Sentry Solutions the most. It is not approved by the FDA. Tuf-Glide goes on wet then the "carrier" for the product dries leaving a dry corrosion prevention barrier which "bonds" to the metal. After applying it I do wipe off any excess and the blade is left dry to the touch. If I cut a sandwich there is no oil getting on the food. What I'm getting at is that I choose the corrosion prevention/lubrication I use on folders based not on food preparation but the little I do use folders for food cutting it doesn't hurt me as far as I know. For kitchen or food prep knives though I'd use the mineral oil.

Jack