Anyone else losing interest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kawr

Anyone else losing interest?

Post by kawr »

Between my Para 2, Sage 2, and ZDP Stretch I've lost all interest in purchasing knives. In the past I would always find something new to lust over but nowadays I'm just content to use my 3 favorite knives and enjoy them. Maybe I just need to get into exotic steels :D . I'm curious as to what keeps other people going and bringing them back for more.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

"Maybe I just need to get into exotic steels " This!
I only have 5 or 6 different models, my favorite being the Military, Para 2, and Manix 2, but 2 (soon 3) Militaries, 2 (soon 3) para 2's and four manix 2's all in different steels and handle configurations. So whats better than a para 2? A para 2 with an new/interesting/upgraded steel and new color G10, maybe preorder the new M390 para 2 ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, I'm not seeing anything that might kick this gray para out of my pocket(yet) but the blue para seems like it will share pocket time with the gray if I manage to snag one.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Well, I'm not seeing anything that might kick this gray para out of my pocket(yet) but the blue para seems like it will share pocket time with the gray if I manage to snag one.
That's how I feel too. :) But I am also interested in some Millie sprints (not that they are likely to kick my Para 2 sprints out of pocket).
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Jcob.T

Post by Jcob.T »

Have you tried different manufacturers like benchmade, emerson etc.... it'll give you a break from the spyderco designs, then when you get a new spydie it'll be "refreshing" LOL. Just my 0.02 :D
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Another thing (a whole world actually) is really getting into sharpening your wonderful collection of knives as well as kitchen knives, and great Japanese kitchen knives are another world too, available in many exotic steels.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I am.

Between my great jeans-change-pocket Dragonfly 2FRN PE and really cool clip-on BM Ritter Mini Griptillian I am satiated. I've purchased numerous Spydies and Benchmades, and am glad I've sobered up...for now.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm not running out of interest, I'm running out of money. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I know I've slowed down since I retired, and more so after I started house hunting, but to some degree. I know part of it has simply been a scarcity of new models that excite me. But some of it is that I've become a lot more selective, and much less willing to buy anything except the models which appeal to me as a user - midlocks with usable 50/50 choils. Thus I've pretty much opted out of the whole Manix 2, Military, Para 2 circus. What I can't put a finger on is how much of that is a result of reduced interest and how much is simply the result of less disposable income.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I thought I was for a bit too. Got a sage 2. I thought it was perfect (still my EDC) Then that salt ladybug, needed one of those. Then the ZDP ladybug, I had been wanting to try out that steel. Well I liked the ladybug, but I felt I wasn't really sure, I needed to try it out in a larger platform, that meant a zdp delica.

Now I see a few more must haves: the chaparall coming, which should be a great knife for when I'm dressed up and the Sage 2 is a bit bulky. (suit) and then that stout looking techno is coming too. And then the return of a classic but in Ti the Native 5. I also will probably pick up another ZDP blade eventually, I like that steel.

A couple more are on the radar also, not sure I'll get them but they are interesting and I will avidly follow the hand on reviews.

Manbug

Tuff

and maybe a couple different iterations of the chaparall if I like that knife. (I am a sucker for Ti scales.)

I thought after the sage that Sal was not gonna get much more of my money...I was wrong.

Grizz
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nope - in fact I used to complain about the Native a lot and now it's my favourite. Go figure. I love it when a knife grows on me. It happens all the time and kind of keeps it fresh for me. Some don't see pocket time for quite a while, then suddenly I'm liking them more.

- best wishes, Jazz.
MCM

Post by MCM »

A: "Steels & Sprints"

Q: "I'm curious as to what keeps other people going and bringing them back for more."
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Jcob.T wrote:Have you tried different manufacturers like benchmade, emerson etc.... it'll give you a break from the spyderco designs, then when you get a new spydie it'll be "refreshing" LOL. Just my 0.02 :D
Blasphemy!
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I have two different catagories. As far as users I am set for now, but thats just the ones I want to thrash on.

I still lust over knives I want to own, but not necessarily use.

For example, I have been lusting over the Jigged bone delica in orange since I got the 2011 catalog in the mail. I never got a fair shake at a reasonably priced blue one, so the orange was a must even though it will never do much cutting.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

As long as Spyderco keeps making "little big knives" they have my interest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

New steels, colors, handle materials, and LOTS of cool new models coming out very soon. There's still plenty of interest for me.
:bug-red-white
jossta

Post by jossta »

I have most of the ones I want at the moment. Right now I'm more into pimping the ones I have instead of getting new ones.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm approaching the point where I have most of the older ones I want. So not that I am loosing interest, but I am finding a point where I don't feel the need to be constantly searching the forums hunting things down...course there are still a few I need/want that are nearly impossible to find. The Captain being a prime example...
On the hunt for...
cckw

Post by cckw »

The dealer exclusives are not to interesting to me for some reason. Otherwise I'm still all over the sprints even when somewhat redundant. so yes and no
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'm done buying knives for awhile. I've bought 6 syderco's in the last 6 months and love them all. I use them all every week and they are all the perfect EDC for me. I still look and dream about getting a few sprints but with the way fuel prices,natural gas,water,garbage,mower broke,weed trimmer broke, new transmission in the wifes truck are, I think it's best to hold off. Or maybe I'm just getting older and wiser. ;)