Thinking of picking up an endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

What would be a good, reputable place?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Check your private messages.

Jack
gb12549

Buy a Cara Cara

Post by gb12549 »

MiniBear:

If you like the shape of the Endura but are price conscious, go for a Byrd Cara Cara 2: $15 for FRN, $25 for G10.
It will perform almost as good, and I think the difference is negligible. Collecting has very thick lines of demarcation as to pricing & rightfully so, but it would be tough to impossible to say that an Endura performs 3 to 4 times better than a Cara Cara 2 on the price vs. utility ratio. Mine was paper shaving sharp out of the box, has processed meat and fish flawlessly, and has served as a great secondary SD carry with the zip-tie mod.
There's a bunch of comparison vids out there, as well as deep reviews too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gb12549 wrote:MiniBear:

If you like the shape of the Endura but are price conscious, go for a Byrd Cara Cara 2: $15 for FRN, $25 for G10.
It will perform almost as good, and I think the difference is negligible. Collecting has very thick lines of demarcation as to pricing & rightfully so, but it would be tough to impossible to say that an Endura performs 3 to 4 times better than a Cara Cara 2 on the price vs. utility ratio. Mine was paper shaving sharp out of the box, has processed meat and fish flawlessly, and has served as a great secondary SD carry with the zip-tie mod.
The Cara Cara is a great knife and very well executed. I don't think any knife (within reason) performs 3 or 4 times better than another. If it separates matter it "performs", the rest is style points and preferences.

That said, VG10 has better properties than 8Cr13Mov even if negligibly so. The FRN between the Byrd and Spyderco can't be compared. Bi-Directional texturing IMHO is one of the best, if not the best, in the industry.

The rest as mentioned is personal. I think the Byrd hole doesn't work as well as the Spyderco but do appreciate the choil offered by the Cara Cara 2 over the Endura. The FFG is a very nice feature for the money.

If money is tight and you are looking for a great knife to use as a tool it's hard to fault any Chinese made Spyderco. However, if you are building a small collection some of them can become redundant compared to their more sophisticated siblings. A Crossbillcouldn't be compared to a Superhawk, but dang, for $25 it's a serious tool.
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

gb12549 wrote:MiniBear:

$15 for a Cara Cara 2? Where are you shopping? The cheapest I can find it for is around $20-$21 on eBay or Amazon, including shipping.
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

u should calculate the total of all the cheaper knives you've had to purchase, multiply that x2 or 3 for future purchases and compare that to one Endura thatll last a lifetime...
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

DaRTH SfaRi wrote:u should calculate the total of all the cheaper knives you've had to purchase, multiply that x2 or 3 for future purchases and compare that to one Endura thatll last a lifetime...
There is no reason to believe that a Cara Cara won't last just as long. Inexpensive does not equal cheap. I'm giving you first hand field use experience vs. statistical based on the materials: the Cara 2 in G10 has been used heavily by me without a wimper or failure.....really, the only thing is I need to Lock-Tite the clip screws. The Endura is one of the best knives ever made, and this is its kissun cousin!
$15 for a Cara Cara 2? Where are you shopping?
Google shopping - FRN for $15 is the first one that came up.
jotobo

Post by jotobo »

I just bought a Delica 4.

Without question it is the greatest EDC knife I have ever owned. The ergonomics are spectacular, the blade is crazy sharp, the handle is nice and grippy, and the action is nice and smooth.

But either the Delica or Endura and be happy. Yes, they are worth the money.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Alright, I think I'm going with the endura, because the cara cara's steel is definitely not as good as the endura right? And I want to buy a good knife, ad not need to buy more upgrades. I think endura will do the trick.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Minibear453 wrote:Alright, I think I'm going with the endura, because the cara cara's steel is definitely not as good as the endura right? And I want to buy a good knife, ad not need to buy more upgrades. I think endura will do the trick.
There are advantages and disadvantages if any steel. Of the features it's prob the one few would realize w/o the placebo effect. The round hole and handle texturing, far more noticeable.

The Chinese Spydies are amazing. For me they don't quite have the magic of the other ones, but at half the price expecting otherwise is silly.