favorite steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Cheygriz wrote:I wish Sal would offer some medium and small blades, like the Native and Michael Walker in S90V and/or S110V. :) :) :)
Or CPM M4.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Cheygriz wrote:I wish Sal would offer some medium and small blades, like the Native and Michael Walker in S90V and/or S110V. :) :) :)
I would totally be good with that. Especially the MW...that knife in S90V...I would be totally in heaven!!
On the hunt for...
Mateyhv

Post by Mateyhv »

jwrickma24 wrote:What is your favorite steel that spyderco uses, and why? Also what is normal da to day use for your favorite steel?
All steels that have iron :p

By the way you should have expected to see every available steel in this thread ;)
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

VG-10 for me as well, easy to restore to shaving sharp in just a couple minutes. I was kind of surprised but glad to see how many people picked VG-10, since it's not one of the super-duper hot new steels.
I was also surprised to see that S30V seems to be either a close second to VG-10 with some and close to last for others. I would be in the first group - it's not much harder to sharpen, but keeps an edge longer than VG-10.
I may though have a bias towards VG-10 since I prefer my Seki knives a bit more for overall F+F and design. If my knives were all exactly the same design but had different steels, and the steels were not labeled on the blade, a blind taste-test as it were, I wonder which one I'd pick then??

Doug
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

My current favorites are CTS-20CP (in the Para 2 sprint) and M390 (in the Mule), both of which are fairly new to me but they have really been impressive. I hope to see Spyderco using these steels in more knives.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

My favorites are VG-10,It`s great for just about all of my cutting tasks,and also H1 which I use every time I`m out fishing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had S30V the longest of any of the typical Spyderco steels, and i've really grown to like it. I really can't tell much difference in sharpening S30V vs. VG10 until it comes time to reprofile, and then S30V takes a bit more time/effort. I really love ZDP-189, but i haven't carried and used it as much as my S30V knives because of the knives i have the steel in...i love my Delica but it takes second stage to my Para/Para 2. I haven't really used my H1 Ladybug enough to have an opinion of it, although first impressions on the SE H1 edge retention are pretty impressive for what i've cut with it.

In the end, for me it comes down to the knife that a steel is available in more so than the steel itself. If a particular knife is only available in a certain steel, it won't sway me from buying it because in truth none of the steels Spyderco offers "suck" by any means.

That said, i am dying to get my hands on some S90V, but i just don't have the cash for what the S90V Para 2's are going for. I would love to see a Para 2 in ZDP-189...that would be an awesome knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DJ

Post by DJ »

Evil D wrote: I would love to see a Para 2 in ZDP-189...that would be an awesome knife.
Mili or Para ....that would be awsum. :cool:
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

The current Para 2 sprint in CTS-20CP is virtually a clone of S90V and according to Ankerson's testing is indistinguishable in performance from S90V and you can still (for the time being) get that now for under $200 from various vendors. It's an awesome steel in an awesome knife (imo).
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I tend to change my mind on this issue, but I always go back to S90V. I look forward to the day when/if Sal gets around to making a larger Manix 2 because then hopefully a FFG sprint in CF/S90V will emerge.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

One of my favorites is 4140 but it's not used in any spydies.
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

My favorite folder steel for wear resistance.......xhp is great sharpens, as easy as vg 10,has wear resistance similar to zdp and has toughness close to a2.yes xhp iis awesome .that said I think cts 20cp is my favorite folder steel. It doesn't hold that fresh of the stone sharpness as long as xhp but it simply holds a shaving edge ffffooooorreeevvveer.its carpenters improved s90. It is second generation powder wich means its cleaner then the cpm.my favorite fixed steel would be infi
the ob

Post by the ob »

I have read through the steel charts etc and still cannot keep it straight. Is there a thread somewhere that explains the advantages and disadvantages of the different steel's?
Stretch zdp-189 blue handles / Caly 3 carbon fiber / Delica 4 FRN / Sage carbon fiber / Perrin PPT / Massad Ayoob / Delica 3 black DLC coated / Lum tanto sprint / Michael Walker CF ZDP-189 (x2) / Gayle Bradley
camokid

Post by camokid »

H-1 have my vote in a folding knife.
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

mongatu wrote:The current Para 2 sprint in CTS-20CP is virtually a clone of S90V and according to Ankerson's testing is indistinguishable in performance from S90V and you can still (for the time being) get that now for under $200 from various vendors. It's an awesome steel in an awesome knife (imo).
If you look at the two magnified edges from Ankersons" cpms90 vs cts 20cp shootout" thread on bf it looks as if s90 has more micro chips to me after same tasks even though said sharpness was same.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

spydusse wrote:If you look at the two magnified edges from Ankersons" cpms90 vs cts 20cp shootout" thread on bf it looks as if s90 has more micro chips to me after same tasks even though said sharpness was same.
I agree. It appears that 20CP may even be slightly better than S90V probably due to the second generation powder metal technology Carpenter uses (or it could also be due in part to hardness variations of the particular samples tested). But my previous post was directed at those who perhaps aren't yet familiar with the steel at all and who may not be aware it's basically intended to be a clone of S90V and offers similar, if not better, performance.
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

mongatu wrote:I agree. It appears that 20CP may even be slightly better than S90V probably due to the second generation powder metal technology Carpenter uses (or it could also be due in part to hardness variations of the particular samples tested). But my previous post was directed at those who perhaps aren't yet familiar with the steel at all and who may not be aware it's basically intended to be a clone of S90V and offers similar, if not better, performance.
They were both tested at a rockwell of 60.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

VG-10. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of the latest greatest super steel. I like a good strong reliable steel that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

spydusse wrote:They were both tested at a rockwell of 60.
Great, again I agree that it appeared from those particular photos of his tested blades that 20CP might be slightly better. However, IIRC, Ankerson didn't feel that his testing methodology warranted the conclusion that one steel was better than another, so I am hesitant to draw it as well.
catamount

Post by catamount »

With the Manix 2, and now the brown Milli, I'd have to say CTS-XHP has become my favorite. It is stainless, dead easy to sharpen, takes a very fine aggressive edge, and holds it very well.

We'll see if Elmax in the LionSpy, and/or M390, in whatever model, will displace it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex