Any More "Lefties" In The Works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spinynorman

Any More "Lefties" In The Works?

Post by spinynorman »

Hi All,

Wondering in the wake of the awesome left hand Millie, if there are any plans for any other left-hand variants?

I would LOVE to see a left hand Persian, for instance... I've always loved that knife, but I can't quite get around the right-hand only carry bit.

I have an old lefty Mariner, the lefty Millie, and all my others are left or right hand carry.

Sorry if this is a dead-horse forum subject, but what the hey, the squeaky wheels sometimes get the oil.

Cheers,
Doug
angusW

Post by angusW »

Doug, I haven't heard of any in the works but I'm with you there on a couple more left handed models would be good. Thing is, there are quite a few models that are ambi so I don't see it happening soon but you never know what's happening in the Spydie cave.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
cr123

+1 lefty

Post by cr123 »

after being a shelf queen, i decided to edc the lefty military. and i'm glad i did. it's cool to use a liner lock in my "right" hand.

i've learned to open/close right-handed linerlock/framelock knives in my left-hand. but nice to have a lefty model. the lefty military is my only dedicated lefty knife (i do have the p'kal and delica which feature left/right friendly locks).

i can only dream of a lefty Ti Military. :0)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spinynorman wrote:Hi All,

Wondering in the wake of the awesome left hand Millie, if there are any plans for any other left-hand variants?

I would LOVE to see a left hand Persian, for instance... I've always loved that knife, but I can't quite get around the right-hand only carry bit.

I have an old lefty Mariner, the lefty Millie, and all my others are left or right hand carry.

Sorry if this is a dead-horse forum subject, but what the hey, the squeaky wheels sometimes get the oil.

Cheers,
Doug
Have to admit that clip placement is not an issue for me, personally, as I take them off. It's also, IMHO, the one "handedness" issue which can be remedied relatively easily on an otherwise desirable knife.

However, I must say I was somewhat baffled that the tactical version of the Persian was not set up for a 4 way clip. As for liner and frame lock models, I think left handed versions of a few of the most popular ones would sell well enough to be worth the R&D and tooling costs for Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With a number of 4-way clips and ambi locks it seems there are quite a few.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that the frame locks would be nice to have lefty....please sal.
On the hunt for...
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

The Deacon wrote:However, I must say I was somewhat baffled that the tactical version of the Persian was not set up for a 4 way clip. As for liner and frame lock models, I think left handed versions of a few of the most popular ones would sell well enough to be worth the R&D and tooling costs for Spyderco.
Exactly - I love the Persian, and it's ambidextrous except for the clip. Couldn't it be designed for a 4-way clip, like the superb Para 2 was? Does it really add significant production costs, or is it a matter of the clip placement not working out with the knife's design?

And yes, there are several Spydies with 4-way or ambi clips already, but I don't get the ones that aren't - the all stainless police for example - right-hand only. You wait long and hard, and pay thru the nose for a left-hand police. 4 way clip on the police 3, but not on the stainless. The rookie also, never seen a leftie. Boo hoo.

Thanks,
Doug
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

The only Spyderco I've ever bought that wasn't 100% ambidextrous or lefty was the Superhawk, as the compression lock is pretty lefty-friendly.

There are too many truly ambidextrous knives out for me to fool around with Spyderco's that aren't 100% lefty friendly, like their linerlocks that are drilled for left hand carry. Benchmade's Axis, SOG's Arc lock, etc.
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

I'd buy any and all dedicated lefties Sal decided to produce. I got a lefty sebenza about a month ago. It's been the only thing to unseat a Spydie from my pocket in a few years. The only reason: Lefty Framelock.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
DeathBySnooSnoo

Mwalle6 wrote: Lefty Framelock.
Yup...exactly. The other locks I can deal with...but would love a Leaf Storm, Techno, Ti Military, Ti Para2, done for us lefties...
On the hunt for...
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

Yea, I find I've been holding off on a few models cause of the handedness issue.. but so many interesting releases in the midst, it's just so hard to do at times. Yojimbo 2 anyone? :)
But I agree, frame locks can feel a bit odd at times with the 'proper' hand ;)
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I have absolutely no compromise in me on the lefty issue. This saves me a bunch of money as I'd otherwise be interested in some of the liner locks, especially in the ethnic series.

It's true that there are a goodly number of fully ambi Spydies, but they tend to be the least interesting designs. Absolutely fantastic edc's like the Cali, Delica/Endura, or Manix, but very few more unique designs like the Lum Chinese, Rock Lobster, Perrin PPT, or Chokwe.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Douglas, I was thinking the same thing regarding saving money. If I was right handed I would have more in my collection. I have been on the border with the Chokwe though. Very close to buying it a couple of times.

My Spydies
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Douglas wrote:I have absolutely no compromise in me on the lefty issue. This saves me a bunch of money as I'd otherwise be interested in some of the liner locks, especially in the ethnic series.
Agree 100%. I collect enough crap as it is, so I'm probably secretly grateful that I am a lefty and can skip the majority of Spyderco's releases.
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I'd love to see more lefty dedicated knives!! I absolutely love my lefty millie and have thought about buying another as a backup just in case it is ever disco'd. All of my knives must be lefty friendly, the only exception I have made is the lum tanto and I still have reservations about that purchase.

How about a sprint run, one of a kind, Spyderco knife dedicated to loyal Spyderco customers? :)
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

A left hand Para-Military2 (Do we even have to add the "2" anymore? When someone says just "Endura", that usually doesn't mean that he is talking about the molded clip version. Anyway..) would be nice. Right handed compression lock works fine with the left hand, but actually even better with the right hand. A left handed Ti/G-10 combo, integral lock version of that knife is my dream knife, but I guess I'll keep dreaming about that one, at least for a while.
Just got: Green FFG Endura
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

Water_Gremlin wrote:How about a sprint run, one of a kind, Spyderco knife dedicated to loyal Spyderco customers? :)
Yea! Let's piss off all the righties for once. Although, a lot of people would probably buy it just to flip it, as is the norm with most of the sprints now, and ruin it for all the lefties who wanted one to use.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
cckw

Post by cckw »

Yes, there are many knives I do not buy because of right handed lock mechanisms. my dream sprint run would be a lefty millie S90V. there would be many right handed guys crying like babies about being excluded due to the orientation :)

left handed in the only minority group that I fit into, and the only one that gets nothing for it!
DeathBySnooSnoo

lefty millie S90V sounds good to me!

Sal are you reading this? :D :D
On the hunt for...
angusW

Post by angusW »

Did someone say left handed Milllie with S90V? When's it coming out? :D

My Spydies