Meat tests-Mark Goldsworthy's Custom Pakals

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I can just see you using your left hand Doc. I bet your left is many time more lethal than most guys' strong side. :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I can just see you using your left hand Doc. I bet your left is many time more lethal than most guys' strong side. :D
I'm a natural lefty... LOL (but became ambidextrous through Kung Fu and Arnis Training.... ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I'm a natural lefty... LOL (but became ambidextrous through Kung Fu and Arnis Training.... ;) Doc :D
Somehow, I already suspected that. :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Somehow, I already suspected that. :D
My teachers used to say my left side was just a tad stronger than my right...but I never really noticed the difference too much. When it comes to Martial Arts most people don't realize that Left Handed techniques are really for defense against right handed people and right handed techniques is for defense against left handed people...So when you learn to fight from one side of your body...you have learned half of Martial Art. Yes some of the techniques will work from either side, especially if you are fighting an unskilled person, but run into someone who knows what their doing and you can run into a lot of trouble. At least for most American using the opposite sides of their bodies is a big deal , because most people eat and write with the same hand, throw the ball with the same arm and kick the ball with the same leg....ask them to use the other and most are lost....people involved in serious knife combative training should consider training both sides of their bodies as well as those who carry a firearm for SD, not for the same reason mentioned above, but just in case your dominant firing hand is injured, or is some way not usable....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:My teachers used to say my left side was just a tad stronger than my right...but I never really noticed the difference too much. When it comes to Martial Arts most people don't realize that Left Handed techniques are really for defense against right handed people and right handed techniques is for defense against left handed people...So when you learn to fight from one side of your body...you have learned half of Martial Art. Yes some of the techniques will work from either side, especially if you are fighting an unskilled person, but run into someone who knows what their doing and you can run into a lot of trouble. At least for most American using the opposite sides of their bodies is a big deal , because most people eat and write with the same hand, throw the ball with the same arm and kick the ball with the same leg....ask them to use the other and most are lost....people involved in serious knife combative training should consider training both sides of their bodies as well as those who carry a firearm for SD, not for the same reason mentioned above, but just in case your dominant firing hand is injured, or is some way not usable....Doc :D
I totally agree Doc. I do train for both sides but the flesh is weak. :D
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

This also where the pared-down systems like MBC and Shivworks come into play. Less techniques means there is less to train your less-strong side to do to become proficient.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

psychophipps wrote:This also where the pared-down systems like MBC and Shivworks come into play. Less techniques means there is less to train your less-strong side to do to become proficient.
Very True Indeed...Doc :D

stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Doc the pics of the Crusader and Goldworthy's design are slightly different than the the others. Both are wicked indeed. The Crusader is actually upside down in the pic. If you turn it over you have the long sweeping belly and the tip pointing directly at the opposition. When held in reverse grip, no wrist articulation is needed or anything else takes away from sending a jab down the pike while stepping on center(45 degree angle) and closing......then everything else is just the same. Think javalin throw to the face or like a pendulum swing with thumb and first finger and closed the hand on or before impact. You add vicious snap cutting while tracking to shut the person down imminently.....you pretty much nailed the specs down 440c is plenty good for this fighter.....oh my handle is a rare piece called barbwire micarta and black micarta bolster. Scott fused the two together to look like one piece. He nailed it big time. The micarta was left somewhat unbuffed to keep it a bit more tactile. Hope that helps...without going too over we can switch over to PM. Take care all and God Bless!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Doc this thing does horrendous things to meat as you can attest to with your two. When sinking the tip as your bodyweight comes behind the jab/stab...it is the closest to cutting air without actually cutting air.......good stuff. Effortless penetration.......which I believe you experienced.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yes indeed Stonyman the Flora Pakal and Crusader are a little different in design from the others....and they are massive pieces of steel....I can only imagine the amount of damage such a tool would create.....On a side note and probably something very interesting to you Stonyman. The "Crusader" is actually Mark Goldsworthy's design, It was Scott Davidson who asked Mark's permission to copy the Flora Pakal for a customer of his who saw the Flora Pakal on Mark's site. Scott changed the specs slightly, but it was Mark who graciously gave his permission to copy his design.... Doc :)

Goldsworthy

Post by Goldsworthy »

I was graciously invited by Doc to stop in and say "hello".

With all the kind things Doc has had to say, he is quickly becoming my favorite customer! :p Or maybe I should hold off on that until I receive his bill...LOL!

Anyways, I am glad Doc decided to contact me in order to make a couple of knives for him. My experiences with him have been nothing but positive, and my life is better off just for getting to interact with this kind and interesting fellow.

God bless ya' all!

Mark
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Welcome to the forums Mark!
Goldsworthy

Post by Goldsworthy »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Welcome to the forums Mark!

Thank you Chuck!

I ordered the handle material for your knife today, it should arrive tomorrow sometime.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Indeed Doc. Scott did give kudos to the originator......I wanted the enhanced specs to boot. Mark.....your work is incredible!
Goldsworthy

Post by Goldsworthy »

stonyman wrote:Indeed Doc. Scott did give kudos to the originator......I wanted the enhanced specs to boot. Mark.....your work is incredible!
Thank you stonyman! :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Goldsworthy wrote:
I ordered the handle material for your knife today, it should arrive tomorrow sometime.
Thanks Mark. Your work is really fantastic. Effective blade profiles(proven by doc's tests) and really beautiful F&F. Awesome combo!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Mark, Glad you stopped by to say Hi! ....Thanks for the really kind words and even more important, thanks for making me some dynamic knives I can definitely put my trust in for SD purposes. Guys... Mark is truly not only a very humble person but a really talented knife designer and Maker. You can tell he really cares and is passionate about making quality performing tools that you can depend on when you might need them, God forbid, the most. IMHO the only thing that is really missing from Mark's knives (besides his logo or his stamped name or initials on the blade, {Not-There} now that's what I call humble) is the Spyderco Hole or Spyderco Bug we have all come to love. I think if Spyderco ever does decide to make a Fixed Blade Pakal, Mark Goldsworthy would be the guy to collaborate with.
His designs are unique, creative, artful, functional, and effective...all the things that Sal looks for in a knife...I think Sal and Mark would be just the ticket to come up with something wicked...in a Spyderco FB Pakal Knife.....Doc :D

psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Hey Doc, you ever think of using an uncured ham for your testing instead? If you get one that is bone-in, it tends to be very inexpensive per-pound and you get a real bone to check your reactions against rather than trying to simulate it.

Get a big enough one and you can get a whole mess of testing done on the cheap! :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

psychophipps wrote:Hey Doc, you ever think of using an uncured ham for your testing instead? If you get one that is bone-in, it tends to be very inexpensive per-pound and you get a real bone to check your reactions against rather than trying to simulate it.

Get a big enough one and you can get a whole mess of testing done on the cheap! :)
We sure can give that a try....It's a good suggestions because "Pig" DNA is most similar to Human DNA..No one knows why. Pig skin is similar to human skin in terms of color, hair follicles, and subcutaneous fat. So it might make for good testing....Now I got to figure out how to that little squealer into a pair of denim jeans....
Doc :D

DaBird

Post by DaBird »

First off --- WELCOME Mark to the forum !!!

After reading Doc's review and getting contact info etc. -- I am very pleased to say that I just sent you a 2nd email stateing that I'd like you to make me one of your AWESOME Kwi Kwa Ju with , hopefully , just a few custom touches that I'd like done.

Thanks to both you AND Dr. S !!!!!