pocket scalpels, what are yours?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Micro-Dyad, Grasshopper, Honeybee.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I just got a cf balance and have turned it into one **** of a pocket scalpel.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
unit

Post by unit »

"Pocket Scalpel" conjures an image for me of a knife that only requires the force of an angel's whisper to make a cut.

This knife always seems to spring to mind.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

That would be my SS Cricket/SE and my Kiwi Slipit Bone :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Caly jr, or Red Jess horn in zdp. Dragonfly ZDP is pretty powerful for a small one. Lots of choices here.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

.357 mag wrote:I have an older ATS-55 mini dyad that is very sharp but the wife carries it in her purse. I carry my delica ZDP that I've thinned the edge down to 9 degrees and put a 15 micro bevel on it.
How are those angles on your Delica holding up? I've put down to 10 deg. back bevels on ZDP but anything lower that 18 (preferrably 20) degrees right on the edge and I get micro-chipping. I've learned not to worry about it too much because the knife is just as usable and you don't even see the chips unless you look for them. You can feel them a little when opening envelopes or things like that but guess what? The envelopes still get opened. :D

I think I've been crying about ZDP chipping more than I need to (spilled milk situation). Even with a little micro-chipping it's still a great steel IMO and they are easily removed with just a little sharpening (just a touch-up).

Jack
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

My ZDP BRG Endura.. :spyder:
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Caly Jr. ZDP is the first to come to mind. There is a reason it is my favorite knife.

Meerkat sprint is a good second. It has very good geometry and has and has an amazingly sharp edge.

The Dragonfly zdp that I got could whittle hair straight out of the box. I gave it to my BIL after he seemed so impressed by the performance of my Caly jr.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Every time i look at a pic of the Balance, i think how awesome that little knife would be with a wharnie blade. The angle of the edge would have an almost hawk bill quality to it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Zoldner

Post by Zoldner »

Probably my ladybug zdp and caly 3 cf
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Ladybug ZDP is on my wish list. A Caly is also, but I can't afford too much right now.

Balance CF is very effective with the serious negative blade angle. It affects with it's inocuous look closed, but when open it is a little powerhouse. No doubt it's the intent of the design. One that seems to work well for me :) It's one that goes with me everywhere :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

Even though the ergos don't really work for me, the Spin is probably the the sharpest knife I own. It will push cut through paper with ease.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Current Spydie Count 21
JLS

Post by JLS »

The Caly Jr. is probably my favorite pocket scalpel, but there are others too.

I had a Toad at one point that was amazing. It was hollow ground VERY thin behind the edge. A friend found it amazing so it left my hands. It was later stolen from him, so someone out there has an amazing knife that didn't come by it honestly.

The Morans are amazing for a small fixed blade, especially the earlier ones that seemed to be ground a bit thinner behind the edge.

I briefly had a Sprint Run Walker in ZDP-189 that was also very impressive, but another friend fell in love with it and has carried it daily since he got it.

The Bladeforums 440V/G-10 Blue Native was also amazing, though my memory may be making it better than it actually was. That was a knife that I actually shaved my face with a few times just to show my roommates how sharp and safe a knife can be. And it was a great shave every time, too!

I've often thought of trying to pick up a C25 or C50 Centofante, as they seem like they'd be wonderful as well.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Not a small knife but the blade on my leatherman charge is a freakin scalpel.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Black Warrior.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

ZDP Ladybug is in, and with a little refining this knife will become another pocket scalpel. The stock edge is sharp, but both looks with the loupe, and feels to be a bit toothy. My inclination is to smooth and polish the edge some before it sees any decent use. Hard won experience with the D'Fly has shown me some of the nature of this material and I believe it will like polished better :)

Keep your knives sharp :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Black ZDP caly jr. It is very light and very sharp.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

bammann45 wrote:Black ZDP caly jr. It is very light and very sharp.
I will say that the one that I have is like a laser. It cuts like nothing else I own...
On the hunt for...
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Currently dragonfly 2 salt and a ladybug hawkbill salt
drf

Post by drf »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I will say that the one that I have is like a laser. It cuts like nothing else I own...
This. After making it my edc for 2 years--never sharpening then sending it to Golden for a $5 touch up I can say it is my favorite spydie. I have more glamorous Spydercos in my collection, but this is the one I come back to. I dread the day I break it and can not find a replacement.