Why no tip-up carry option for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Isaeus

Why no tip-up carry option for the Military?

Post by Isaeus »

Greetings:

Just curious why more carry options have yet to be incorporated. Seems an easy thing to do. Goofy as it sounds, the lack of tip-up carry really is keeping me from buying this revered knife. Thanks for any replies or any information about an impending updated version!

Cheers,
Isaeus
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Hi,

As this question gets asked alot some of the bigger kids may not reply. Spyderco deemed that the safest carry method for this knife would be tip down carry. Some users on knife forums have modified their millies for tip up carry. However the point should be made that the expert knife designers over at spyderco thought this was not a good idea and did not incorporate it into their design. If you feel strongly on the issue perhaps you might consider the Para 2 - the design is similar but with that model tip up carry is an option.

I hope this answers your question and gives you an avenue of action to get your own millie style knife.
Cheers,
A
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't know Spyderco's reasons for the clip placement, but I'm generally a tip up fan. So, at first I was hesitant to get a Military too. But once I got one and carried it for a while, I saw that tip down really does seem to work for this knife. The size and shape make opening from a tip down position very fast and natural (at least for me). Now I would carry it tip down even if I had the option.

I'd say it's worth trying.
:bug-red-white
BAL

Post by BAL »

I had the exact same thoughts and didn't get one for a long time. Then when I changed my mind and ordered a Digi-Millie satin and now I am on a waiting list. In many ways tip down has it's advantages, the way that you can grab the end of the knife and rotate your hand around. It works quite well actually. But I do like having a constant method.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea long answer made short it's an older design that carries the tip-down methodology. Safer and designed to Spydie-drop deploy.

I bought the Massad Ayoob and was hesitant trying to figure out am aftermarket tip-up option. A couple days playing with it I think it's preferred over tip-up. Practice with one of your Spydies the gripping and see if you have the same feeling.

If not, there are always options. I think STR has an answer if need be. Eventially my guess is the Mili2 will incorporate 4-way positioning.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Until recently all Spyderco's models with RH Walker locks were RH tip down only. It was done mostly for safety reasons but, in the case of the Military, may also be due to its use of a partial liner to minimize weight. G-10 simply does not hold screws well, so allowing tip up carry would mean extending the liner and increasing the knife's weight.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dmon

Post by dmon »

Good point Deacon.
Isaeus - generally I prefer tip-up myself, but will take tip-down over increased weight any day. Besides, after playing with Military enough most would carry it tip-down even if given another option. Deployment speed is something that depends on owner's skills a lot, often even more than it depends on design. If you like the knife then why not to give it a try?
gb12549

Post by gb12549 »

My strong hand side is Left, and my preferred carry is tip up. I'll continue to vote "no buy" on premium priced knives that don't accommodate that in this day and age of tech & materials. Caveat Emptor: I'm talking as "users" and not collector knives.
I'd love a Ti Millie or Bob Lum's Onslaught, but I'll be damned to pay that sorta scratch and not get what I want! :D
Isaeus

Post by Isaeus »

Greetings, everyone:

Thank you a whole lot for your helpful replies. The abbreviated liner that Deacon mentioned was news to me and sounds like a compelling reason for keeping the Military solely tip-down as long as that design element remains. I've never seen a Military in person, although that has never kept me from buying other knives in the past. :) I'll carry my Cara Cara or Endura tip-down for a while and see if I like it. And then I'll likely post pictures of my new Military in the near future.

Cheers,
Isaeus
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I don't get why people are saying tip-down is safer. With tip-up carry, the spine of the blade rests against the edge of your pocket, so that it can't open accidently. With tip-down, there's nothing but the knife's own detent stopping it. The Military has a strong one, though, and I've never really been worried about it accidently opening.

Another advantage to tip-up carry is that the spine of the blade can't rub against other stuff (Like a flashlight in my case) in that pocket.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I must be in the minority of those who prefer tip down. Especially on the Military, tip up would simply not feel as natural.
APS

Post by APS »

yowzer wrote:With tip-up carry, the spine of the blade rests against the edge of your pocket.
That's only if you carry in the front right hand pocket. If you carry in the right back pocket, the blade is more free to open with tip up/liner lock carry. Same thing with front edge of a cargo pocket.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I usually carry tip down knives in the back right pocket too. It works well.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The partial liner is one reason, but after carrying my Para tip down, i have an understanding that some knives are too big and are better carried tip down..at least in my experience. A knife that big, to me, is a lot easier to pull out by the pivot and spydie drop than it is to pull out and change your grip and shimmy your hand up to the end in order to flip out the knife with your thumb.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I personally like it, because I think tip-up carry is awkward and slower for knives over 3.75-4". Tip down lets you end up with your finger right at the whole, while with tip-up, you have to adjust your grip considerably to open the knife. I prefer tip-up for small or medium knives, but I think tip-down works much better (for me) on knives aroud 4"

Plus, as mentioned, there's the weight thing. Also, the clip style wouldn't really work that well tip-up IMO. I'm personally glad it is the way it is. I love my Military and (I have to mention this in every thread about the Millie), I can't freaking wait for my Brown G-10 and XHP sprint run!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mentaculous wrote:I personally like it, because I think tip-up carry is awkward and slower for knives over 3.75-4". Tip down lets you end up with your finger right at the whole, while with tip-up, you have to adjust your grip considerably to open the knife. I prefer tip-up for small or medium knives, but I think tip-down works much better (for me) on knives aroud 4"

Yup. This^^^.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Heh I dont think the tip up or down argument will ever be solved. One point I did notice though....If you have a knife which has ONLY tip down carry....why do they include a Fob hole on the knife? I mean if there is no way to secure it as tip up in the pocket on a large folder....whats the point?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Armalite Native wrote:...If you have a knife which has ONLY tip down carry....why do they include a Fob hole on the knife? I mean if there is no way to secure it as tip up in the pocket on a large folder....whats the point?
Well, if you notice, they don't call it a fob hole, they call it a lanyard hole and that's exactly what I use them for when I go to the beach or to thick brush areas.

[img][IMG]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8677/lanyards.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

I've never liked tip up carry because it seemed I would get debris in the pivot, since it's exposed. For people who end up in grimy, sandy, dirty environs, I think tip down protects the knife from gunk.

Randall