Help me decide

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Help me decide

Post by Evil D »

I normally don't like the help me pick threads...i usually know exactly what i want, but i'm so undecided on this one so here goes. I need a small EDC knife, and i mean SMALL. I've narrowed it down to either a Dragonfly or a Ladybug. I know the Dfly is still a big larger than the Ladybug, which is my dilemma. I'm pretty familiar with the Dfly as far as size and ergos and all that, it's a knife that i really like a lot. The Ladybug on the other hand, i've only really looked at and i pretty much brushed it off because i had no use for such a small knife.

What i really want is a small wharnie...i'm toying with the idea of getting a Dfly and modding it or even having it done by one of the regrinders out there. The other thing i've considered is a hawk bill Ladybug, but i only see an H1/SE version. My issue with that is, i suck at sharpening serrations and would really prefer not to have them. I would be in LOVE with something like a ZDP hawk bill or wharnie Ladybug, but nothing like that exists. I've been saying for a long time that i want to try a SE H1 knife so maybe that Ladybug is the knife i need. This knife will be used almost entirely for opening boxes and light EDC tasks, and possibly even left on my keys (If i opt for the Ladybug, otherwise just clipped in my pocket if i get the Dfly).

So the questions are:

1) Did the Ladybug come in a hawk bill without serrations? How about the Dfly?

2) Of the two knives which do you prefer and why?

If not the hawk bill H1 Ladybug, i'm very likely going to get either a ZDP Dfly or ZDP Ladybug, since i don't expect to use this knife a LOT and i figure the edge holding capability of ZDP will really be nice on this knife. I'm thinking along the same lines with the H1/SE Ladybug since it has been said that the H1/SE combo yield ridiculous edge holding characteristics.

Discuss :D

(totally unrelated but i thought it was funny, on the catalog page at the bottom where it says "related items" if you search for Ladybug and click the ZDP version, it showed me a Superleaf as a related item.....HOW exactly is a Superleaf related in any way to a Ladybug aside from the brand?? LOL)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

if you're not worried about the edge holding on ZDP, then dont worry about serrated H1 because its the toughest spyderco has tested. source: a posting by Sal. its because h1 is a work hardening steel and grinding serrations into it makes it nice and hard. somebody correct me if im wrong, but that's what i got out of what Sal said.
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah that's what i recall reading....my only gripe is my own ability to sharpen it. I really need to get some rods and learn how but besides that i'm usually very plain edge biased, but for this particular knife and what i plan to use it for i don't think it will matter so much.
~David
jossta

Post by jossta »

That's what I got too. Pretty sure it never came w/out serrations. Even the VG10 one was serrated.

Also, for the price of the ZDP D'fly, you could get the H1 SE and ZDP Ladybugs, so I vote for that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jossta wrote:That's what I got too. Pretty sure it never came w/out serrations. Even the VG10 one was serrated.

Also, for the price of the ZDP D'fly, you could get the H1 SE and ZDP Ladybugs, so I vote for that.
That's exactly what i was thinking. I'm a bit surprised at myself because i'm heavily leaning towards the Ladybug, which is a shocker because i really really like the Dfly. It's just that for the purpose of this knife the Ladybug seems to be a winner.
~David
jossta

Post by jossta »

I really like the D'fly too, but haven't ever had one. Something about the ladybug just attracts me though (weird since I don't have any). I will probably end up with the two of those and the Man Bug. I'm a sucker for bolsters.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like both knives, here is what I suggest, First off, if you don't have a ladybug in your collection, you are really missing out, it is my most used knife for everyday tasks, the Dragonfly is small, but probably not small enough for what you are looking for. I am carrying a serrated Ladybug in H1 today...it was gifted to me, it holds an edge a long time but after one years use it does have a little blade play side to side...I have six other ladybugs and have never had a blade play issue with any of the older models, even the one that is over 20 years old, carried for like 16 years used daily. So I don't know if others are having issues with blade play in the newer models or not, or if my new H1 is just a fluke. That being said I would still get a ladybug...The other thing you might want to consider is a knife from KaBar, called the "Last Ditch" it's a tiny FB Wharnie with tremendous cutting power for it's size, it's about the same size as the ladybug only a tad wider, it comes in a small kydex sheath, that I like to wear around my neck, (don't even know it's there) but is small enough to be hidden anywhere on the body, ie. static cord carry around the waist, or pocket, even velcro under a shirt collar works....Slipped into a wallet compartment ect ect If you take a look at one or get one, consider putting a little bit of paracord to wrap the handle part for a better grip....It can be had for under $20 retail......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like both knives, here is what I suggest, First off, if you don't have a ladybug in your collection, you are really missing out, it is my most used knife for everyday tasks, the Dragonfly is small, but probably not small enough for what you are looking for. I am carrying a serrated Ladybug in H1 today...it was gifted to me, it holds an edge a long time but after one years use it does a little blade play side to side...I have six other ladybugs and have never had a blade play issue with any of the older models, even the one that is over 20 years old, carried for like 16 years used daily. So I don't know if others are having issues with blade play in the newer models or not, or if my new H1 is just a fluke. That being said I still get a ladybug...The other thing you might want to consider is a knife from KaBar, called the "Last Ditch" it's a tiny FB Wharnie with tremendous cutting power for it's size, it's about the same size as the ladybug only a tad wider, it comes in a small kydex sheath, that I like to wear around my neck, (don't even know it's there) but is small enough to be hidden anywhere on the body, ie. static cord carry around the waist, or pocket, even velcro under a shirt collar works....If you take a look at one or get one, consider putting a little bit of paracord to wrap the handle part for a better grip....It can be had for under $20 retail......FWIW< I usually don't post in these "Help me Decide threads" but because you have been around here awhile now I figured you might be in a state of :confused: so I was happy to help out....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You could mod anything really. The Spin came as a PE wharnie which might be a consideration as a more substantial version of the Ladybug. Throw a cricket in there just for fun too.

I like the Ladybug a ton. It's extremely small and very useful (especially in crowds of knife-haters). The Dragonfly is about the smallest knife I've never felt under-gripped with. It can do work that a Delica can with little difference in comfort.

No PE hawkbill Ladybugs, just: drop-point PE and SE, hawkbill SE, Rescue SE. Dragonfly only has come PE and SE.

Of all those the Ladybug imho is easy to forget it's in your watch pocket. The others, thin or small as they be, are obviously on your person. That's a good and bad thing really. Frankly with the ZDP-189 FFG Ladybug I think most small knives have very tough competition...2mm of FFG madness is hard to beat. :p
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have a H1 ladybug PE and so far it has been used mostly for opening mail. But it is never off my keychain and has come in handy. But it is really tiny. Not sure what your use is for it, but DF to ladybug is quite a size difference. Mine has some play in it, because of the light use it gets I'm not too bothered by it, just tightening up the lock bar screw has helped but not eliminated the play. If you are really looking for a wharnie then why not go for the Urban? It's about the same size as the DF and comes already wharnie-d.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I was going to suggest looking into an Urban too. But you might want to have a lock. The Dragonfly is about as small as I ever like to go. I have a few Ladybugs, but never use them. I find them a little too small, plus I like to have a pocket clip.
:bug-red-white
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Of all my knives I carry the Ladybug the most. Because of it's size you can carry it anywhere without scaring people and it is really a lot more knife than you expect in that size. I would pick one up for 22 dollars at Howes and at least give it a try if I were you. That's just my 2 cents.
Spyder Count: 7
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well that didn't take long...a quick stop by the local knife shop and i'm now the proud owner of a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill. First impression is, i don't like yellow LOL. Sorry i'm not big on bright colors...i know there's a line of thinknig that says cute colors make them more acceptable around NKP, but completely subdued and low key works even better. In fact, if they ever make a DLC coated Ladybug....WOW.

Anyway, it'll probably get dyed, i'm thinking about trying to dye it khaki colored since that's part of my everyday dress. If that fails i can always go full black. I'm also thinking about how to put a small pocket clip on it...i'll post results if i work something out.

Oh and Doc i'll check out that wharnie...that sounds interesting. I was toying with making something like that myself.
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

like this?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I was going to say dragonfly just based on carrying one for the last week and I'm hooked. It's my go to knife for just about everything and it rides great with all my other spiders. But I'm sure your new ladybug will be great.

One thing about the yellow. I've had my H1 for a week and I'm starting to grow fond of the the color. When I first wanted the knife the first thing I thought was " I'll be dying it as soon as I get it". But I haven't yet. All I'm saying is, try it, you might like it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So far so good. I made a quick lanyard/fob/grip extension thing which works quite well both to extend the grip some and to keep from dropping it, and it rides on a keyring belt clip. I may even try one of those retractable key cord things that clip to your belt.

~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Dragon or Ladybug? I carried an AUS8 FRN Dfly for years on my keychain. Wonderful little cutter and small enough to have it always around with the ever-there-keys-of-your-life. I liked that better than the Ladybug somehow, which I had on my chain after that. The VG10 LBK was replaced by the.....you guessed it, DF AUS8 again...

No to be underestimated, I think the Ladybug is a little small. Besides that I see more disadvantages in a hawkbill than advantages in EDC-ing 'a small knife'. Don't get me wrong; Hawkbills are great. I used a Merlin yesterday to cut a away some grass and that is its greatest purpose: 'gardenish, farmerish' :rolleyes: My next grail will be the superhawk....LOL

I would stick to the Dragonfly, no doubt. However, if you have a little patience because more small EDC Wharncliffe's are coming; Des Horn and this little Gayle Bradley which is in the developments....
Ever considered the Walker ZDP? Just a little bigger as the DF. Think about the Dyad sprint. There you have two knives in the size of one Ladybug...

It is up to you. The Dragonfly would be my choice over the hawk LBK. A little more handle and a bladeshape and edge that is more useful IMHO.

Cherio, happy picking :D
Tomas
Tom
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I have the same Ladybug and love it. Instead of the keyring for your pinky try buying a $5 Swiss Army Classic and attaching it to the ladybug. That's what I do. It extends my grip enough and adds a toothpick, tweezers, smal scissors, small flathead screwdriver, small PE slipjoint blade, and file to a very small package
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (28.52 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmmm...i like that, as i also have a closet love for those Swiss Army Classics..i use the little scissors all the time. I'll have to look into that.

This is definitely not primary EDC material, at least not for me. I only chose a hawkbill because the primary use of this knife will be to open boxes, and the tip pointing downward is perfect for that, and since i couldn't get the hawkbill in plain edge, i went with what i could get. It's also a great opportunity to try out H1, which i've been wanting to do anyway.

Chances are good that my EDC combo will end up being a Yojimbo 2 and this Ladybug.
~David
SpyderTex

Post by SpyderTex »

Though a little off topic, can someone inform me what type of fixed blade is pictured with the white handle?

Tex
Owned :spyder:: Sage 1, SS Cricket se, Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, SS Kiwi3 slipit, hawkbill ladybug H1.

Wanted :spyder:: Bolstered Stretch PLEASE!, Ti Chapparal, Large Kiwi, Manbug, Dyad Jr. sprint.