tanto!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

a china line based on a tanto blade?

**** yeah!
35%
nah i'm not sure
65%

Total votes: 51

spyderfan123

tanto!!!

Post by spyderfan123 »

what about a tanto china line like the tenacious...?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not many tantos do well. Some, like the Lum Tanto sprint will sell a certain amount but recall it was disco'ed due to lack of sales/vs production capacity which time could be more profitably used , and it's a very nice knife with name appeal.

Not many tanto designs will have enough long term sales potential to make the engineering and tooling up worth it, much less dumping another knife from the line to free up production capacity.

I am all for this Lum tanto sprint and I've heard forumites calling for it for years. I wouldn't recommend putting a Tanto into production though.

The Byrd line is the place it might work, for a while IMO.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Keep tanto japanese. There is enough 'japanese' stuff made elsewhere in Asia...
Tom
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I' definitely getting a lum tanto but only because of the lines of knife and the grind on the tip. I can't say I find tantos too utilitarian. I love the lum tanto though. As in any tanto he has produced. Just has great lines. Most tantos are too pointy and boxy. Stiff lines. Lum used curves and smooth lines that ease into the tanto shape. i'd take a leaf or drop point any day over a tanto blade. Even a clip point. Just don't see much practicality in the way most tantos are made now. Guess I just don't have any mall ninja in me. If someone has insight into the practicality of the tanto shape please feel free to inform me. What can that shape do that no other can.
nightburn

Post by nightburn »

VashHash wrote:I' definitely getting a lum tanto but only because of the lines of knife and the grind on the tip. I can't say I find tantos too utilitarian. I love the lum tanto though. As in any tanto he has produced. Just has great lines. Most tantos are too pointy and boxy. Stiff lines. Lum used curves and smooth lines that ease into the tanto shape. i'd take a leaf or drop point any day over a tanto blade. Even a clip point. Just don't see much practicality in the way most tantos are made now. Guess I just don't have any mall ninja in me. If someone has insight into the practicality of the tanto shape please feel free to inform me. What can that shape do that no other can.
I'll attempt to answer that.

I've actually found the tip of a tanto to be very utilitarian. For instance, you can use it like a hand chisel. If you hold the knife with your other hand resting on the spine near the tip you gain considerable control over the secondary edge on the tip of the blade.

The tip of the blade also allows for a greater angle of attack than a typical leaf or drop point blade does. Since that portion of the blade is considerably smaller it allows you to "get into" places you normally can't with other blade shapes of the same size. (Example: cutting wire tires in tight spaces, you can vertically attack them, instead of horizontally like most blade shapes)

I hope that makes sense?

I would be all over a smaller Spyderco EDC Tanto. Less than or equal to 3", g-10, compression lock?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Useless blade shape to me.

- best wishes, Jazz.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I think a lower priced tanto is just what i need. As long as its not light grey. :)
JD Spydo

Japan made Tanto: Thumbs up

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:Useless blade shape to me.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I used to have that same opinion of Tantos in general years back until I snagged a couple of the C-46 Spyderco Lum Tantos and Mr. Lum's design totally changed me around. His contoured point versus the squared off points you see on 98% of most tanto blades really make a big difference.

Like I said in another thread I've been carrying my user C-46, black-bladed, CE, ATS-55, G-10 handled Lum the past 3 weeks or so and I've been using mine for a lot of everyday cutting chores here of late. That handle on the C-46 is so ergonomically perfect for my hand it truly feels like a custom tailored handle for me.

Now I will admit that sharpening the tip can be a bit frustrating at times but I'm getting the hang of it. The super thick spine on the C-46 truly makes it an awesome Self Defense gem IMO. I got to speak to Mr. Lum himself back in 2005 at the ATlanta Blade Show and I was really contemplating having him make me a custom Tanto Folder for me before his untimely demise. I wish now I would have pulled the trigger on that deal. He truly was a top notch knife designer and a very nice gentleman as well and I enjoy many of his designs.

As far as Spyderco offering one made in China>> NO WAY!!! The Tanto design is truly a Japanese work of art and it would be apropos for Spyderco to have it made in Seki City Japan IMO. I am not a fan of Chinese made knives for many reasons. To me it would be like having a Chinese company make American men's western wear.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I'm assuming the "Americanized" Tanto, so no. I don't see any gain out of it other than for stabbing car doors and such.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

so most of you guys say no because of the usefulness(is that a word? LOL)but since most of us are collector's we don't always need a user especially against the tenacious price (if you didn't notice that's what i mean with china line)
i think it just looks very cool! :spyder:
jossta

Post by jossta »

Isn't it kind of weird that there is up roar about a Chinese-made, Japan-inspired knife, when everyone is pretty fond of an existing folder that is a Japan-made, Chinese-inspired one?
unit

Post by unit »

I would not say "useless", but but it is definitely one that offers more limitations than benefits for my use.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think the really big thing that gives china such a bad name is the good ol pot steel we get on those shoddy $5 knives at gas stations. China can produce quality products with quality steels if that's what the consumer wants. People don't even like spending $30 on a knife. Americans have pride in their country. But almost everything we use is imported because we can't afford our own economy and greed. American companies like levis start making products in other countries and eventually the whole brand is made outsourced. I will never buy a pair of vietnam made levis. Some won't buy chinese spydies. The vietname levis use thinner cotton. The chinese spydies use cheaper steels but you pay less for it. Back to the topic at hand. Certain tantos will sell. The lum is a work of art. The lum chinese used to be american made by an asian american with american materials. I think it would be a bad move for spyderco to make a tanto knife in china. Everyone else already does that.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Tanto anything. Spyderco needs more tanto. Tanto is king.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Honestly, I'm down for any expansion of the Chinese spydie line. The more variety the better. I'm not all that fond of them myself, although I own one of each of the available models, but I think they make a great entry point for the brand. I wouldn't hesitate to give away a 30$-60$ knife as a gift (as opposed to a 100$+ knife), and it wouldn't bug me (too much) if I lost it or broke it. I like the fact that they maintain the Spyderco round hole (as opposed to the weird Byrd ovally comet-y thing... or as I like to call it, the reason I haven't bought a single piece off that brand line). When I was brand new to high end cutlery, that was about the price point I was willing to jump to from 5$ gun show POSs. The functionality of the tanto pattern, and in particular the more angular Americanized tanto, is debatable. The popularity of the pattern... not so much. People like it, and people buy what they like. Pretty much every knife company except Spyderco has at least one tanto pattern in production. If Spyderco added the pattern to their entry level brand line... it would attract some of that market share their way. No matter which side of the debate I fall on personally, that sounds pretty good to me.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

For those wanting a "real" tanto, I'm pretty sure the Butch Vallotton would fall into that category.

As far as the "Americanized" tanto goes, I sometimes like the shape, but would actually rather see a Besh Wedge folder. If we're going to have a knife that's good for scraping and chisel type stuff, let's go all the way.
(Yes, I already have a Besh Wedge folder, but as a folder it's pretty poorly executed. I wish that knife had been designed and made by Spyderco.)
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
jossta

Post by jossta »

VashHash wrote:The lum chinese used to be american made by an asian american with american materials. I think it would be a bad move for spyderco to make a tanto knife in china. Everyone else already does that.
That only applies to the Lum Chinese though. He didn't invent that shape. But it's still a variation of an originally Chinese design being made in another Asian Country. China has culture just like every other country, but it doesn't see to bother anyone that a variation of a Chinese design is being made in Japan. The Navajah and Bradley designs aren't exactly Taiwanese...

Everyone else also makes non-tanto knives in China, does that mean Spyderco should stop?

I actually don't really have an opinion here, just playing devil's advocate, or else I just don't get the logic of the argument unless it applies both ways. I could care less if Spyderco makes more tantos or if they do, where they're made. I, like many others, am only in for the Lum Tanto b/c of the grind. Simply beautiful.

If I want an affordable tanto folder, I'd get a Recon 1, but if Spyderco made more tantos, I would buy based on design, price and materials, not COO.
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

unit wrote:I would not say "useless", but but it is definitely one that offers more limitations than benefits for my use.
so for you it offers more limitations than benefits for your use.
but doesnt it make sense that (my opinion) spyderco tries to make&sell knive's for every one's use and job's so that means that people that need it have to opportunity to grab that chance and have a folder of their favorite brand and favorite style. and we all know that tanto's are mainly designed as a fighting knife but they also work great as a hard user so i was thinking another tenacious kinda line for another great work knife that's easy replaceable.

and BTW... isn't it just great to have another knife in regular production made by your favorite brand?!

thanx spyderfan123 :spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

You need a few more options on your poll.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
unit

Post by unit »

spyderfan123 wrote:so for you it offers more limitations than benefits for your use.
but doesnt it make sense that (my opinion) spyderco tries to make&sell knive's for every one's use and job's so that means that people that need it have to opportunity to grab that chance and have a folder of their favorite brand and favorite style. and we all know that tanto's are mainly designed as a fighting knife but they also work great as a hard user so i was thinking another tenacious kinda line for another great work knife that's easy replaceable.

and BTW... isn't it just great to have another knife in regular production made by your favorite brand?!

thanx spyderfan123 :spyder:
I agree with everything you say but I thought the question was probing weather I and others like tanto blades. So I answered.

Regarding Spyderco making them...I think it has everything to do with unit sales and profitability. If the market would support it, Sal would probably be in favor. I will refrain from hypothesizing in regard to what the market will do...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.