More info on the upcoming Techno pls.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spygineer

More info on the upcoming Techno pls.

Post by Spygineer »

Hey folks,

Just wanted to ask those in the know if they can shed more info on the techno. This is one i am looking forward to the most.

Is it a spyderco or custom design? It has an Anso look to it.
What are the dimensions? Is it ladybug size or cricket size?
How does it feel in hand?
When is it expected to hit the market?

Thanks in advance. Havent looked forward to a knife in a long while
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I believe the design is a custom collaboration with a Polish designer. Also got the impression that it would be similar in size to the Leafstorm but I can't say that with 100% certainty. If this is accurate the length would probably be in the ballpark of the Dragonfly, thus a little longer than the 2 you mention.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

It truly reminds me of Ansos work so you're not the only one. It's made by a Polish knifemaker Marci Slysz, I haven't been able to find a lot of his work, mainly fixed blades and a couple folders.

The current prototype shown in Wouters pics seems to be a custom prototype made by Marcin Slysz himself. Since it is not an actual production prototype I would guess it's still rather far from actual production. People were comparing it to the Leafstorm quite a lot so it's probably similar size and many who attended the meet seemed to really like it.

BTW, this thread needs a pic:
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Thank you for the clarification dfens and creepo. I had a very custom look to it which i liked. I totally guaged the size incorrectly. I was thinking spyderco mouse size when i first saw the pics. I was on the lookout for some tank-like little big knives.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It is a great looking knife and I hope that if it goes to production that it changes VERY little. I love the very rugged and tough look that it has.
On the hunt for...
Jijoel

Also my favorite

Post by Jijoel »

I handled the knife and it has the same type of build as a strider pt.
Small but very strong. (size could be compared to the leafstorm but ergo's on this one are much nicer/better ( i really like the looks of the leafstorm but ergo's are not usable for me))

Sal told us spyderco is going to make it just like this custom piece.
Only the clip was to strong and Sal was looking for something else for the clip but the knife was so popular spyderco will try to make it the same as production knife. The clip looks like a sebenza clip.
I really liked the dark stonewash finish on the blade and on the handles.
It looks like it's used and if you are going to use it you wont see any scratches because it has the used look.
I also liked the nice rounded edges on the ti handles. A nice blue backspacer and little lanyard made it even prettier.

It was also my favorite along with the Southard flipper folder.
So i hope spyderco is going to make both knives but also hope they make them just exactly like these custom knives because they were great.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Jijoel wrote:I handled the knife and it has the same type of build as a strider pt.
Small but very strong. (size could be compared to the leafstorm but ergo's on this one are much nicer/better ( i really like the looks of the leafstorm but ergo's are not usable for me))

Sal told us spyderco is going to make it just like this custom piece.
Only the clip was to strong and Sal was looking for something else for the clip but the knife was so popular spyderco will try to make it the same as production knife. The clip looks like a sebenza clip.
I really liked the dark stonewash finish on the blade and on the handles.
It looks like it's used and if you are going to use it you wont see any scratches because it has the used look.
I also liked the nice rounded edges on the ti handles. A nice blue backspacer and little lanyard made it even prettier.

It was also my favorite along with the Southard flipper folder.
So i hope spyderco is going to make both knives but also hope they make them just exactly like these custom knives because they were great.
Very good news, so handle will be steel made, i hove they will not do in titanium.I prefer a polished blade but even satin-stone washed can be.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Great blade, keep 'em overall dull gray in production; LOTS of appeal and charism!

:D
Tom
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Love the faux antique finish and the original Military type jimping.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Lovely knife, absolutely beautiful just the way it's pictured, don't change a thing. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

This one looks great. Looking forward to it.
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

Can someone please tell me what kind of knot is on the lanyard in the prototype photo? Thanks.
majornub

Post by majornub »

It should even come with the lanyard and bead too. The blue looks great with the bead blasted ti.
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

Ok, I posted this in another thread, but on BF there is info and some pics of the production version of the Techno. The steel is to be the CTS-XHP, with a wire clip, a blue backspacer(g10 maybe?) and is to be made in Taiwan.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

rororo64 wrote:Ok, I posted this in another thread, but on BF there is info and some pics of the production version of the Techno. The steel is to be the CTS-XHP, with a wire clip, a blue backspacer(g10 maybe?) and is to be made in Taiwan.
Seriously?! That's sounds perfect the only the I didn't like about the prototype was the tip down clip :-)
phaust

Post by phaust »

wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Looks good to me. I'm really growing to like the wire clips.
phaust wrote:Here are the pics mentioned http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost9729526
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that the prototype looks much better than those pics...
On the hunt for...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

For me the problem isn't that it is blue but that it is a uniform plastic looking blue. A denim look would be nice. Look at all the different shades in the original gray spacer.

Also the original is anodized with the edges sanded to give an antiqued look. The production proto looks like straight TI. If they anodize it in a way that compliments the spacer I'd be happy to sand the edges myself or just let it wear naturally.

I like it overall.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
mattman

Post by mattman »

I am surely following the evolution of this knife... but I must say, the beautifully subtle finish on the proto shown in the Amsterdam thread was the first things that drew me in. The clip change I'm good with, because while the other one was visually more appealing, the ambi wire one will likely be more useful... I would also like to hear some theory on the lock cut-out being on the outside of the scale... I haven't noticed that anywhere before, but maybe I'm not that observant. Is that a common practice? I haven't decided on the spacer yet, as I love that color of blue, but it seems to conflict with the inherent subtlety of the finish on the Amsterdam prototype that was so deceptively eye-catching.

In the end, I'm sure I'll be getting one of these, but I may have to contact Mr. Slysz, and arrange to purchase my first custom, as well.