favorite food prep spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

favorite food prep spyder

Post by Popsickle »

What's your favorite food prep spyder? I used my para 2 20cp tonight to cut limes and lemons at the bar and I felt like the blade wastoo short....still though it blew right throug them with a quickness
catamount

Post by catamount »

This one.

I had Tom Krein regrind it to increase the edge length, and thin it to .01". Fantastic slicer.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I only use kitchen knives for food prep. The idea of using a pocket knife to cut food is kind of gross to me.
:bug-red-white
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I use my Millies or Large Persian where I have to on picnics. Otherwise in kitchen the Spyderco Santoku or various other kitchen implements usually makes short work of foodstuffs
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I'll use my street beat for food prep when camping but otherwise I use kitchen knives at home
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

i should have specified lol..... it wouldnt be used at home. im a bartender and i cut lots of fruit lol. lemons, limes, oranges, etc
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

just got home and realized how tough lemons and limes really are on knives lol..... it may still be sharp but at a 30 inclusive it still took some damage. hopefully a few passes on the sharpmaker should fix that
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jwrickma24 wrote:just got home and realized how tough lemons and limes really are on knives lol..... it may still be sharp but at a 30 inclusive it still took some damage. hopefully a few passes on the sharpmaker should fix that
Hey Josh, what kind of damage? Maybe from the cutting board?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

ill take pics and show you chuck... im at my families house right now. going home tomorrow
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

and it would be my geuss that it was from the cutting board.... its more near the tip area
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jwrickma24 wrote:ill take pics and show you chuck... im at my families house right now. going home tomorrow
Thanks Josh.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks Josh.
get in chat if you can :p
cr123

Spydie Military

Post by cr123 »

Hi:

I use the Spydie Military Lefty model for food duties. I don't like cutting steak with those single use serrated steak knives. I do make sure to slice the steak horizontally so the blade never touches the ceramic plate. Or if rice or noodles are available, i place the steak on top and slice away using the rice/noodles as an edible cutting board.

and i do make sure the blade is food friendly before and after use.

stay sharp.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

My Chokwe works well in the kitchen. I've found the Military's blade is too thick for chopping vegetables but is otherwise okay. Barong, Stretch, Lum Chinese have all given good results too. Dyad's PE blade is nice for delicate work.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Stretch has been my go-to knife for food prep away from home for years. Partly because it's what I carry but, then again, I carry it partly because it's so good at food prep.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

catamount wrote:This one.

I had Tom Krein regrind it to increase the edge length, and thin it to .01". Fantastic slicer.
This knife should have this kind of blade from the beginning. :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

G10 Endura with FFG, VG-10 blade. Excellent size, ergo's, stainless, grippy - what's not right about it? I've used mine for camping and food prep for a couple of years now and love it.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I love my spydies......but when it comes to food prep my japanese fujiwara petty kitchen knife blows them away. During camping I use a fillet knife, out on the trails will be whatever knife I have on me, but I find the narrow blade knives like the ladybug peels fruit better than some of the wider blade spyderco's
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I tend to use two of my kitchen Spydies more than any others - the short Wharnclif paring knife and the santoku. Beautiful knives - I've got a couple of other kitchen Spydies, but these are my go-to tools.

I wish Spyderco would have made a serrated general purpose chef's knife - somewhere between 5" and 6" long. Most of the cutlery lines have these in their lineup now - and they are extremely useful. Maybe next time! :-)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My most used :spyder: for food preparation is Yang. Distant second is fully serrated K05.
There is no knife is good on the kitchen like kitchen knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian