what do you want from spyderco in the next 5 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Post by cckw »

casey1 wrote:by 2016, what new sages do you want?

what type of new models?

what do you think should be gone by then?

what should spyderco have improved on your knife by then?
As a service to the underprivileged A lefty para.

(I have the lefty Mil)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

cckw wrote:As a service to the underprivileged A lefty para.

(I have the lefty Mil)
You say underprivileged, I say highly evolved :p .

+1 to that though, or any lefty models for that matter.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
elena86

what do you want from spyderco

Post by elena86 »

A new Police with the same blade but a different handle, maybee white FRN or Micarta.
Keep the Caly 3 in production with different vibrant colours FRN handles and VG10 steel blade.
More coloured FRN handles.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

1. More knives with the laminated zdp 189 steel like the Caly 3. Toxic Green Delica with flat grind. And something like the Mule Team in the Delica line, different steels to try out.
JD Spydo

We've talked about these before

Post by JD Spydo »

There are quite a few items I wish the Great Spyder Factory would embark on. First of all I truly do want them to come out with a top quality axe or hatchet for camp, self defense and other demanding uses. It seems that one of their main competitors has done well with one that they've recently introduced.

Also back around 3 years ago I remember a thread from forum members wanting Sal to design and produce an old fashioned straight razor. I love shaving with the one I have and I just know that Spyderco would make a super straight razor.

One last thing I wish they would consider would be a practical fiixed blade knife something like the old original Temperance 1 model with a big sheath that you could load with survival gear. With survival and prep forums getting so popular I would love to see the Great Spyder Factory have a super quality fixed blade with a pouch/sheath that could hold a sharpening device and a few small pieces of essential survival gear such as a fire-starting device of some sort
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

I have been awaiting the Native 5. But, better yet would be the Native 5 in Carbon Fiber. You know it will happen, even if it is a sprint run.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Keep doing the great job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

More production knives in super steels, collaborations and colours is all I ask :D
steeltoe

Post by steeltoe »

Dagon wrote:What I would like to see (seems out of line compared to many others):

- more slipjoint designs, including a heavy duty slipjoint knife, and a strictly two-hand opening slipjoint knife (for the growing list of countries where carrying one-hand opening knives becomes problematic).
- an innovative kind of SAK ("Spyderco Army Knife" :-) ), hence a kind of multitool, can be both locking and a slipjoint variant
- a "french style" folder, meaning an elegant folder with a thin 4" blade that looks great at the table, think about a spyderco alternative to the typical laguiole or Le Thiers designs.
- the return of the classic Manix 1
- medium sized kitchen knives
I have to second this.
More slipjoints. How about some kind of scandi ground folder or smaller fixed blade to be used for wood carving. Mora has a small fixed blade that is wonderfull to carve with.

I would love to see the UKPK with a ffg vg-10 blade and since one handed opening is prohibited in some countries, Denmark for one, two handed openers might be a good idea for the european market. Remember the old DKPK?

I was also thinking of some kind of lock that could be put into the thumbhole to undo the one handed opening feature, it would be really cool if it also was possible to remove say with some kind of lock so that the same knife could be legal in the city but one handed on your own property or when going out and about in nature. Perhaps some kind of torx-preasure lock to secure the disk covering the hole.

In germany it is ok to carry a folder that is either one handed opening or locking, so what about a locking folder that has the decorative hole and is a two handed opener. I belive Böker are looking into this market with some new models.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd like to see a "set" of two (or maybe three) knives which are almost identical except for size or something. Small and large would be my first choice for differences.

I started a thread on this as a poll then thought it could be a thought for the next 5 years.

Jack
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

There are so many knives i would like to see.

But the bottom line, as long as spyderco continues to produce the core knives (ladybug, dragonfly, delica, and endura) I am good to go
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

I'd really like to see different color G-10 scales on knives. Spyderco is
the king of variety, and innovation, when it comes to blade and style!
The Leafstorm, is a fine example of more of what I'd like to see on some knives.
I'm so tired of Black, time and time again from manufacturers let's open it up
and come out with some new colorations. :)
Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

A series of Ladybugs or Finches with many different blade styles. i.e. tanto, wharncliffe, civilian-style, clip-point, spearpoint etc.
Cavender76

Post by Cavender76 »

Para Mil 2 H1
Arillon

Post by Arillon »

A Paramilitary with orange g10 scales and a black dlc coated M4 steel blade. What I would give for that...
12/25/2010 - :spyder: Manix 2 Orange Sprint run.
1/31/2011 - :spyder: Endura 4 Blue.
3/26/2011 - :spyder: Military Black Blade Digi Camo.
7/13/2011 - :spyder: Paramilitary CTS-20cp Sprint run.
9/6/2011 - :spyder: USN Toxic Green Catcherman Sprint.
12/25/2011 - :spyder: Moonglow Manix.
1/5/2012 - :spyder: Navaja.
2/25/2012 - :spyder: M390 CF Military Sprint run.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd like to see a Dyad that has the plain edge blade it now has paired with a wharncliff blade instead of the serrated edge. I bought the Byrd Wings knife and use it on my tool belt. I never use the serrated edge but have thought a time or two I wish I had a straight edge (like a utility/sheetrock knife replaceable blade). I haven't wanted a Dyad because I don't need a serrated edge but would seriously consider one if it had a clip point and wharncliff blade also.

Jack
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

More toxic green/lime green FRN. While I'm wishing, I would kill for something with toxic green G-10 that didn't cost three thousand dollars :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DrChimRichalds wrote:More toxic green/lime green FRN. While I'm wishing, I would kill for something with toxic green G-10 that didn't cost three thousand dollars :D
I like the idea of colored handles. I just read an article in Blade magazine about the Delica and Endura and their history. In it was mentioned white scales for customers to dye themselves. I'd like this. We even mentioned this a couple weeks ago here on the forum. I know what you mean about the money. I'd say $2,500 max. :D

I have a black blade Manix2 and the M4 Manix2. Now the black blade knife has orange scales and the M4 knife has blue scales (G-10). I made the scales which I enjoyed but dying would have been a lot easier.

Jack
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

It'd be cool to see some more brand collab models such as a Case/Spyderco model...if possible. Also, more hawkbills....umm, maybe G-10 Salts or even just some upgraded Salt models, etc.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Sorry, by upgraded Salts...all I mean is an upgraded handle via the Delica IV as opposed to the Delica and Endura 3 handles alot of them use now....and I like how the byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill has a choil...would love to see the Tasman upgraded with something similar to that.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban