what do you want from spyderco in the next 5 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Slash wrote:Not sure what class it's in but...it stains quite easily.
It's stainless, it has 20% chromium, the most of just about any steel out there.

It does get minor staining easily, but it is quite corrosion resistant. I get little stains on my VG-10 blades as well, maybe only slightly less than ZDP. Both have very good rust resistance.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Mentaculous wrote:I completely disagree with you and I think this obsession with getting every last bit of edge out of a knife is just completely pointless. I would much rather have a balanced, ergonomic and safe knife than one that has as much edge as possible. Is that last little 1/4-1/2" of blade really that important? I think the choil is something that makes Spyderco unique, and the majority of Spyderco's designs are not concentrating on maximizing edge space. You can like what you want, but I hope Spyderco doesn't change any aspect of their designs just to please a few people, and in the process become like most other knife companies... BTW, There are plenty with small or no choils out there--Gayle Bradley, Paramilitary (that choil does NOT take up much space), Military, Michael Walker, the entire Tenacious series, the new Valloton model, and several more.

As for skeletonized liners, when have you ever seen it increase the retail cost? The Bradley went from full to drilled liners with no cost increase. That was minimal drilling as well. For an example of a real weight decrease, compare the Manix 2 sprints to the regular Manix 2. It is night and day. I think it would be insane to stop skeletonizing the liners, because Spyderco does it on so many models, and they turn out perfectly weighted and easy to carry. Believe me, you would notice the weight.

You're free to have your preferences, and I'm sure that Spyderco will make knife that satisfies them again at some point (for ex. tenacious series has no choil), but I just am confused how someone can be a Spyderco fan, yet dislike some of their most ubiquitous and consistent design features. Choils, large handles and lightweight, easy carry knives are some of the defining features of a Spyderco knife IMO. Disliking them is to dislike the large majority of Spyderco's designs, no? To each his own, and there are plenty of knives out there that meet those specs from other major companies.
I think that Spyderco makes balanced and safe knives without choils. And I just think that in some knives the choil is not needed. In slipits, yes every knife with a choil because it makes them safer and they are all small knives and in small knives I think that a choil is a great idea because it gives you more area to grip. I think that the Terzuola has got the best choil Spyderco makes and overall has one of the most comfortable grips. But in larger knives that have a larger handle, there really isn't a reason to use up blade for choil UNLESS the choil in in the ricasso and does not lengthen the ricasso or the handle in order to add the choil. I think that the Military is a great example of a choil that is there but doesn't really alter the knife and works well. In the Para2, it is similar, though even with semi large hands, I think that choil could be a bit small to allow a better grip when not using the choil. (With the Para2 I find that the standard grip, I feel a bit disconnected from the blade, using the choil, it feels too tight, I tend to grab it by almost hooking my finger over just the very back of the choil so if it were slightly changed to a smaller choil that was more 75:25, it would be perfect)

It hasn't affected retail cost, but it is higher for manufacturing cost, and I am sure that over hundreds of thousands of knives that cost is quite substantial and if it were not done (except on specifically made lightweight knives) I am sure that Spyderco's bottom line would be better and that can only benefit us, the consumer. You are right about the Manix 2, and as much as I really love the M4 and the S90V, when it comes to a Manix, I always grab the 154CM, because it just feels way better in the hand. In fact I am thinking that I might grab a used M2 and swap the blade to have the M4 blade on the full lined version. I don't think that I have ever found the Manix 2 to be too heavy to carry.
If the Tenacious series were of a better quality and had the variety of steel and locks that other lines do I would be extremely happy.
My favourite knives that have choils, I just never use them. Never used a Manix choil, or a Stretch choil and that is because they are extremely well made and balanced without a choil. But like I said, slipits, and even the Native I find the choils an excellent addition. ****, I would even like a choil on the Ladybug...so don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all choils are bad, I'm saying that on some designs, mostly larger knives, I feel that they are just not needed, or could be redesigned to be less intrusive to the overall knife.
On the hunt for...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I just want to see Spyderco survive the apparent tough economic times ahead.
I will then be happy with any knives that come after that.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

My dream Spydie would be a beefed up Manix ( a couple more torx screws on the frame) and a karambit style ring with all metal locking parts(no clear plastic) with either a full flat grind S30V or VG 10 or ZDP 189 Hawkbill shaped/curved like the Spyderhawk but add a small wave. I would like to see a black frame and blade model and a blue and polished blade model. I think a S30V or VG 10 or ZDP 189 waved ManixHawkkarambit would appeal to many people and would be a MEAN *** looking knife.Waved Hawkbill/Karambit with tip up carry would be hard NOT to open up when removing from the pocket. Also put Cobra hoods (like on the Salsa) on more knives.I want to see a sprint run of the old Salsa.A red Salsa in VG10
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

For the future, how about a sprint run of Jedi light sabers. Then you'll overhear this conversation:

(Person A) "Have you heard about the new light saber Spyderco just came out with?

(Person B) "Wow, that is so cool! How much are they?"

(Person A) "It doesn't really matter, it was a sprint and they were all pre-sold. There aren't any left."

(Person B) "Bummer, dude."
emel

Spyderco Framelock Flipper RJ Martin Collaboration

Post by emel »

Make a Spyderco RJ Martin Collaboration with a full Ti Framelock with carbon inlay (no outside screws) and a 4 inch S110V Flipper blade :D

Think these will sell for good money and many other knife manufacturers will be pissed off.
beatlman87

Low rider clips!

Post by beatlman87 »

would love to see some clips with the current shape but low rider style :cool:
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Bill1170 wrote:For the future, how about a sprint run of Jedi light sabers.
No, no: "Sithco" rolls off the tongue much better.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

What I would like to see (seems out of line compared to many others):

- more slipjoint designs, including a heavy duty slipjoint knife, and a strictly two-hand opening slipjoint knife (for the growing list of countries where carrying one-hand opening knives becomes problematic).
- an innovative kind of SAK ("Spyderco Army Knife" :-) ), hence a kind of multitool, can be both locking and a slipjoint variant
- a "french style" folder, meaning an elegant folder with a thin 4" blade that looks great at the table, think about a spyderco alternative to the typical laguiole or Le Thiers designs.
- the return of the classic Manix 1
- medium sized kitchen knives
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Big blades good. [grunt]
—Daniel Jackson
dialex

Post by dialex »

Guy Vanderveken wrote:I forgot to mention the need for a Spyderco Competition Chopper(MULE), that would rock!!!

oops,
Guy
A few years ago, Ed (Schempp) designed a competition chopper. It was handy and beautiful, with blue G-10 scales (unfortunately I can't find a picture so you can judge for yourself) :( . Anyway, I would love to see a production version of it.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Dialex,

Thank you for that info- Now you got me searching.

Cheers,
Guy
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

As in the last 5 years Sal and crew usually know what I want long before I do know myself. So what I still want is probably in preproduction right now.
I just want them to stay as healthy and creative as they can be.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

hiredgun wrote: 5. Take just one of the flagship models (Delica, Endura, Military, etc.) and offer a custom shop for it--scales, clip options, steel. Charge more but get more.
6. Yearly contest for you and a friend/spouse/child to win a trip to Spyderco and have a half day with Sal and crew. (Hey, a guy can dream right?)
7. Kitchen knives
These are all good ideas to me.

I would love to see a custom shop like Buck knives has. Offer different handle colors/materials, different blade steels, choice of bright or black clip/hardware and maybe different locking mechanisms (think liner lock or RIL on the Millie). There are a lot of people who make "Frankenspydies" because all the things they want are made, but just not in one knife. For example a Millie with ti RIL on one side, orange G-10 on the other, S90V blade and black hardware.

The contest for a personal tour/meet & greet with Sal and crew sounds great and I would think they could spare a 1/2 day somewhere in their schedule.

Finally kitchen knives. I would love some premium kitchen knives. I have a couple Shun elite knives and I like them a lot. They are sharp and thin and ergonomic. Spyderco, we know you can outdo those Shun knives, lets see what you got!
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
numb

Post by numb »

A Lava 2 in G10
A long handle bushcraft tomahawk
deep carry clips
and fewer choils

oh, and a senior to go with the upcomming junior... ;)

/N
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Pretty simple.

Stay in business, and keep up with the quality control. Do that and I'll keep buying stuff. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

id like to see a millie in m390 at optimal ht and something like a colored g10 or half CF half ti framelock.
MCM

Post by MCM »

5 Yrs? Maybe a part time retirement job @ 55. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

More seriously than my last post in this thread, I'd like to see a production Paramilitary 2 in M390.

I'd also love to see a big-handled knife with two locking blades, a 3+" leaf at one end and a short (maybe 1.5") hawkbill on the other end that opens to only 135º for pulling cuts. A lot of what I do works better with a short blade, and a hawkbill at a Schempp-ish angle would be extremely useful for heavy cuts like in cardboard, carpet, etc. A very wear-resistant steel would be indicated for the short blade and nice in the other blade.

Bill
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bill1170 wrote:More seriously than my last post in this thread, I'd like to see a production Paramilitary 2 in M390.
I have been thinking hard of getting a folder in M390 from the the other company but I just can't pull the trigger. If Spyderco were to make one, I wouldn't even need to think about it.