Spyderco 2012 Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dapagco

Spyderco 2012 Calendar Contest!

Post by dapagco »

The Contest

The 2012 Spyderco Calendar will be a 12-month wall calendar of images created by you, our loyal fans. We’ll choose a total of 13 images, one image for each calendar month and one grand prize ‘Best of the Best’ winner to be used as the calendar’s cover image.

I hear the decision wasn’t easy last year thanks to the fantastic competition. You can view last years thread to give you some ideas.

Just like last year, we are looking for anything extraordinary (that we can print): photographs, drawings, paintings, water colors, digital creations, you name it. If it can be printed, it’s fair game.

The Prizes:
The grand prize will not only get their photo featured on the cover of the calendar, but they will also receive a long-discontinued Spyderco “R” - C67S in an autographed box by Sal and Eric Glesser.

The artists who have their images chosen for each month (a total of 12) will each receive a Spyderco Dyad - C39P&SBG, a Sprint Run knife in an autographed box by Sal and Eric Glesser (more info on that knife here)

Contest is open 0900MST June 1, 2011 – 0900MST August 1, 2011. Winners will be selected by the Spyderco Crew over a two week period and should be posted on the forum on August 15, 2011.

Please read all of the submission requirements before posting.
Submission Requirements:

Please include a 2-5 sentence (max) description of your image - why you chose the products featured, the history of the image, etc.; Something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

Image must include a Spyderco product(s). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Product can be mint, used and abused, or radically modified. Your submission can be seasonal, retro, traditional, artistic, black and white, color, sepia, comedic or serious. Set your imagination loose. We want to see it all.

You must include the model name of the product(s) used in the image. Model name does not necessarily need to be a part of the image, but it must be included with your submission.

Only one image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

FORMATTING: The Spyderco 2012 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Portrait formatted images will be considered, although significant cropping/resizing may occur. Image must be available in high resolution at 300dpi.

Submitting Your Image: (IMPORTANT!)
In order to be considered, you must post your image to this thread. No links to other image hosts, please. Due to image size restrictions on the Spyderco Forum, you must submit a condensed version of your image. Please do not try to upload a 300dpi 6000px wide hi-res image to the forum.

*You must keep the high resolution copy of your image saved locally until the winners have been announced in order to qualify. Once selected, winners will be contacted and asked to provide the hi-res image. We are unable to use the image posted to the forum for printing-quality reasons. If you can not supply the image at the end of the contest, your submission will be disqualified.

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted works (unless you own the copyright), anything in the submission must be entirely original and created by you. Image may not contain any kind of promotional material. This includes all trademarks and logos, even those for your own personal endeavors. Only family friendly, G-rated and tasteful submissions will be considered. If it’s salacious, offensive or anything the Disney Channel would reject, so will we.

Eligibility:
The 2012 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to everyone. If artist is under the age of 13, the artwork must be submitted by their legal guardian. Prizes will only be shipped to adults over 18 or to those who provide written consent. Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win. This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Winning images become exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By submitting, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

Contest ends Monday August 1, 2011 (0900MST).

For full contest rules, please read Spyderco 2012 Calendar Contest Rules.

**Calendars will be available this fall through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Sweet! Now I just need to learn how to use my camera!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

That's it....those are the Prizes...Don't mean to be ungrateful for the contest...but seeing how this is a great promotional item as well as a money making contest for Spyderco, through sales of the calendar IMHO, I find the prizes a little disappointing. Others may not agree, But I'll sit this one out....I look forward to seeing all the magnificent photo's taken by the forum members...I love the Dodos and Oranges in June's 2011 Calendar on my wall right now...Good luck to everyone...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:That's it....those are the Prizes...Don't mean to be ungrateful for the contest...but seeing how this is a great promotional item as well as a money making contest for Spyderco, through sales of the calendar IMHO, I find the prizes a little disappointing. Others may not agree, But I'll sit this one out....I look forward to seeing all the magnificent photo's taken by the forum members...I love the Dodos and Oranges in June's 2011 Calendar on my wall right now...Good luck to everyone...Doc :D
Yep...

But on the other hand if it was a chinook 1, I might get a little depressed when I didn't win. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the contest, Dan. Do have one question though. What's are the minimum and maximum size/dpi for the actual image being entered (not the one posted in this thread, the one you will request if the image is selected). One or the other might be a factor for some folks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

How about a post count minimum, or something similar? There were a lot of 1-post entries to the tag line contest (with eerily similar content and user names to earlier posts).
:bug-red-white
dapagco

Post by dapagco »

Thanks for reminding me about that. I edited the post to include that the hi res needs to be 300dpi.

*EDIT Gbelleh, we keep an eye out for cheating as best we can, but if you see anything fishy, it would help if you let us know.
The Deacon wrote:Thanks for the contest, Dan. Do have one question though. What's are the minimum and maximum size/dpi for the actual image being entered (not the one posted in this thread, the one you will request if the image is selected). One or the other might be a factor for some folks.
unit

Post by unit »

The amazingly versatile and high value VG-10 Endura IV FFG along side the experimental Angle Edge Guide. I think this image represents Spyderco's attention to their customers (the knife is the result of many continual refinements to a best seller, the guide is the result of Spyderco offering something that us forumites begged for). I invested a lot of myself into this knife profiling and polishing this blade (among other mods not shown in this image), but not nearly as much as Spyderco has invested in constant improvements to this model.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
wec12

Post by wec12 »

For those who are wondering what the dimension of the original pic should be:

Hope this helps.

Good luck everyone :D .
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Donut

Post by Donut »

They are using portrait images for a calendar?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

wec, shouldn't the width and height numbers be swapped?
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Kinda with Doc Snub on this one. As fun as these contests are, they're an even better way for spyderco to save insane amounts of money that would go to a marketing company. The end result is a seemingly professional product with little to no cost to the company (considering the knives have already been produced). If a company has a very loyal following it's a brilliant way to cut costs. Again, not trying to be ungrateful, but the prizes do seem a bit weak. Looking forward to all the submissions nonetheless, good luck to everyone!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't get all the bellyaching about the prizes. Win or lose, these contests are fun. I'm not a marketing professional and don't expect to be paid like one. These contests are a great way for us fans to express our creativity and show our enthusiasm for a hobby and company we enjoy. If it saves Spyderco money, that's more cash to invest in R&D and CQI.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

While I do agree about the prizes...think of it this way, maybe the savings will be passed onto us, the consumer. If things like this are what is needed/decided on to help keep costs down and knife prices down, then why not. And really the biggest prize is getting to show everyone that you have YOUR picture in the calender.
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Donut wrote:They are using portrait images for a calendar?
Per the instructions, it should be landscape format but they will consider portrait format as well (I'm assuming with the intention to crop to the landscape format).

P.S. For those who are disappointed by the prizes, I have no problem with what they chose. It's a great way to recognize the forum members who contribute photos to the forum anyway. Talk about looking the gift horse in the mouth. On the plus side, if there are lots of people opting out because the prizes aren't good enough, I'm fine with the reduced field of competition. Bring on the R (or Dyad)!
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:And really the biggest prize is getting to show everyone that you have YOUR picture in the calender.
Agreed!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It sounds like it will be a lot of fun :) It'll be a fun post to check everyday too :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
unit

Post by unit »

I would like to go on record now and say that if MY entry is selected for the calendar, I want nothing in the way of prizes. I am happy to participate, and my photo is just a crappy picture I took and shared on the forum months ago anyway.

I like Spyderco, this forum, and contributing any way I can. I would be honored to have one of my images used in the calendar.

Not taking a shot at anyone...just stating the way I feel.

In that regard...I would welcome dapagco to take a look at my albums here on the Spyderco forum and if anything there looks promising, I would gladly give you rights to use any of them for the calendar also (no strings attached). They are not great, but they were all shared here on the forum at some point.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I think I'm just bitter because I suck at photography! :( I've already seen some epic photos in the photo section that would no doubt be in contention for a top prize. The ladybugs with like 1000 ladybugs on them and the spydie spyder both come to mind. Also some pretty cool woodsy photos. This thread should prove to be AWESOME!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

This picture was taken while diving in “the Grotto” in Saipan. I am looking out of the underwater cave towards the open ocean with my trusty Spyderco Pacific Salt in hand. Using an absolute rust-free knife for dive and EDC purposes is a no-brainer when you are always in the ocean like myself. Special thanks to Brad Southard for grinding it down to a wharncliffe blade.

Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

This a picture of my Spyderco Police P.I.G. I took a couple of months ago when it was still snowing over here.
The Police model is the one that got me hooked on Spyderco and I feel it is one of the most iconic knives. This particular version of the model took me some time to find in this condition.
Thanks for the opportunity !
Spyderco's owned: Worker, Police (9 different versions), Captain, ATR (2x), Endura, Tenacious, Gayle Bradley, Delica, Terzuola, Terzuola Jr., Ti Military, Lum Chinese (in Ti and black), Lum Tanto Ti, Lum Tanto sprint, ParaMedic PE, Manix I, Manix I sprint, Civilian, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Starmate, Navaja

Incoming : Manix I

Want: CF Police

Grail : Civilian PE