Aqua Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunnut35

Aqua Salt?

Post by gunnut35 »

I am thinking of buying a Aqua Salt to leave in my tackle box. I really have not seen to much on here about the Aqua Salt so would like feedback from you all that have one and what y'all think of its performance.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Not sure about the Aqua, but the Salt/H1 series seems to get tons of love and I've yet to see a "failed" h1/salt (fail as in rust).
For performance I'm sure others will chime in, is this a fishing and skinning knife? What are your plans for the blade?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I love my aqua salt SE. It's my primary hiking/camping knife. The main complaint people have had about it is that the plain edged version dulls very easily from the sheath. I have the SE and it works great, no problems. The ergonomics are fantastic as well.
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

I have the PE model, and I like it well enough... except for the sheath problem already mentioned. The sheath is FRN, and it dulls the knife edge from contact. If you're getting one for the tackle box, you could get a small pocket stone to with it. I've seen Spyderco gray stones for like $6 at Cutlery Shoppe, and that's all you would really need.

As for the knife itself... edge retention is okay... for me it's hard to tell because I use mine for stuff that will dull any edge, like gardening. I used one to help cut up some venison, and it was alright, but the cutting board was glass, so again, any knife will be affected. The handle, however, rocked. Even covered with blood and slime, my grip was secure.

Honestly, it's a good knife. I would like to see Spyderco offer a sprint run of the blade with VG-10 and perhaps FFG. I would also like to see Spyderco quit making FRN sheaths, because the Aqua Salt isn't the only knife affected by this. Other Spydercos, and other brands, have the same issue.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I ended up ordering a yellow SE aqua salt.
I have been wanting one for awhile but just seem to pass it up so when i seen them on sale i had to get one. If i like it i will get the black one for my father-in-law to put on his boat.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Grab the yellow, if they have it. Seems like if its used around water a bright colour will be better for recovery.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Half Sack wrote:Grab the yellow, if they have it. Seems like if its used around water a bright colour will be better for recovery.
Last year i gave him a se yellow tasman and he hates yellow so he dyed it. He keeps his knifes on a pistol cord so its not a issue but i do agree with you on the bright colors. I got the yellow for myself to dye orange. :)
MCM

Post by MCM »

Thanks for this thread......... It woke me up on this discontinued model.

Just ordered a black SE from Sierra Trading post.
Have a black P/E now and know If I didnt get a SE to match before they dry up I would regret it. With the sale discount that just popped up there $54.56
Looking forward to seeing how the SE version works in the kitchen.
Am thinking it might break down a whole chicken just by waving it over the thing a few times.......... Fish heads won't stand a chance....... :p
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

MCM wrote:Thanks for this thread......... It woke me up on this discontinued model.

Have a black P/E now and know If I didnt get a SE to match before they dry up I would regret it. With the sale discount that just popped up there $54.56
Looking forward to seeing how the SE version works in the kitchen.
Am thinking it might break down a whole chicken just by waving it over the thing a few times.......... Fish heads won't stand a chance....... :p
Man that is a great deal and i might grab another one now for that price. The one i ordered was 59 but i guess thats not too bad.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

MCM wrote:Thanks for this thread......... It woke me up on this discontinued model.

I did the same about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't pass up 30% off what they had it listed at.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Does anyone know where an Aqua Salt plain blade might be purchased? I have the serrated version and it needs company.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Does anyone know where an Aqua Salt plain blade might be purchased? I have the serrated version and it needs company.
I believe they were discontinued, so unless you find one in an out-of-the-way store that still has some stock, your best bet might be the secondary market. As you found, there are still some of the SE around, Sierra Trading Post seems to always have some.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Tdog wrote:Does anyone know where an Aqua Salt plain blade might be purchased? I have the serrated version and it needs company.
There are some places that still have them but they run anywhere from $90-$116 :eek: . Just do a search and a few places will pop up.
MCM

Post by MCM »

If memory serves, they reduced the MSRP to $119.95 from something much higher.
Great knife that seemed to have limited appeal.
That takes nothing away from the fact that it is a great knife! :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Must say, I've tried almost everywhere online and barring a rediculous price $150+ haven't been able to find the Black plain blade Aqua. Would anyone with suggestions please PM me? I've called a bunch-o places and no one seems to have them in stock. Thanks T