Any tokens for self-improvement and reflection?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knifestyle

Any tokens for self-improvement and reflection?

Post by Knifestyle »

As many know, some of you are carrying knives older than I am. I just started a live-in summer job that has me with quite a bit of free time in a town with very little to do. It's about time I took some to work on some flaws and fundamental shortcomings. No more compensation or rhetoric, someday I may actually be considered an adult on sight which will end all the sympathy and flexibility I receive because of my age. By no means is a public forum a place to get personal and spiritual...Not my intent here, I'm just asking around for any tidbits or life lessons that I may need to hear about or will run into eventually. All the usual issues are present, won't pretend to be 'different' or 'unique'. I'm just another dumb kid who decided to start listening for a change. I'm all-ears without commentary or critique, I'll take input through public posts or private messages. No, you don't know me, but I'm not digging for special treatment or to weigh anyone down with all that. Thanks for your time in advance.
unit

Post by unit »

Experience life.

Make mistakes, learn from them, try not to make them again.

Listening to advice is good, but honestly, making mistakes is probably the best way to know right from wrong, and understanding the depth of the difference.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Treat others like you would want to be treated...
Do things for those that could never pay you back, like the old timer down the road that everyone ignores...
Help the stranger in the mall that is battling to carry stuff...
Smile a lot...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Save your money, do not go into debt, always be yourself.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Don't take anything too seriously but what you contribute to something, mainly your work and what you do for the people who matter to you. For those two things go the extra mile and do whatever it takes, for everything else relax and enjoy yourself. It's tough to be serious and fun, but I think we can all walk that line. I am a little too serious most of the time. :(

It seems to be common practice to not take your work seriously. Not taking your work seriously not only hurts you, your family, and your friends; it hurts your company's customers, your city, your country. The entire world will be lessened by the sub par work that you choose to do. It's not just one bad worker or one bad company, but everything we buy, everywhere we go, everything we experience will be lower quality if no one cares. People don't see the result of their actions, you have to pay it forward and do the best work you can and not just for yourself.

For a lot of people you know, the most good you can do for them is to challenge them. People will not become better if their life is nothing but easy. I see a lot of people taking it easy on the ones they care about, but that isn't the best thing for them. I believe they are hurting the ones they love by taking it too easy on them.

I see this in public a lot, a 5 or 6 year old is crying in a store and the parent bends over backwards to get them to stop crying. The parent doesn't realize that no one else will bend over backwards for them. The children are becoming accustomed to something that only the parent will do for them. When their child gets around other people, the children won't know what to do because the other people won't think the children are the most important thing in the world and do anything to help someone else's child. =\ I've seen some people give attention to another person's whining child, but I think this is only reinforcing the bad behavior of the child and the parent.

This same rule applies to everyone. Someone who is so desperate to make you happy will typically not attract your attention.

(I think I've said too much.)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Never do anything you'll be ashamed of...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I read a book decades ago called The Transparent Self. The psychologist who wrote the book claimed that all neuroses stem from the difference between who we are and who we pretend to be.

That may be an exaggeration but I'm convinced that there is a lot of truth in his insight. Since I've made peace with the flawed goofy inconsistent fellow that I am, I am generally happy, content, loving and more effective than before.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

zackerty wrote:Treat others like you would want to be treated...
Ive got a little twist on this one. Also consider treating others how they want to be treated. For example, even if you like/dont mind direct criticism, others might not, so consider how they might want to hear something. These are both true in my book.

Here is the biggest one. Someone has it in their sig line - Have Integrity - Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Sorry, I cant remember who Im stealing that from - all credit to them, not me.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

You've already learned my suggestion; listen. Lots of people are too busy telling what already know to learn something new. Tasting life as it is is more rewarding than dousing it in your own spices in order to take credit for the flavor.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Do what you are good at.

And I find this one sorta comforting.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfq_A8nXMsQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfq_A8nXMsQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Just a few from here...

* Tell the truth, it's easier than trying to remember or live the lie.
* You can tell a man's worth by the way they treat people "below them".
* Try everything you can. You'll be more disappointed for missing out on something than not liking it.
* If you can't afford to leave a decent tip, you can't afford to eat out.

and the big one...
* Don't get caught. ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Someone said treat others the way they want to be treated and I couldn't agree more as long as the other doesn't expect or demand it. A spoiled, selfish person may want you to spoil them but don't. They aren't worth it. But if someone is sick do what they want. Example: If I have the flu I want to be left ALL ALONE. If I need something I'll ask for help. My wife on the other hand appreciates people waiting on her and showing they care. Two different people that you could make either happy by totally different behaviour.

Mainly, though: I find myself wishing I had appreciated things, times, people and experiences more than I did at the time. I don't even know if that is possible to talk about and someone younger actually understand it and put it into practice. You tell me in 50 years. :D

If you see your life going down a path that further down the road isn't desirable, take the next exit. I'm talking about working, relationships, etc.

Oh yeah, GOOD LUCK!
Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mom always told me "Don't take advice from people who like knives".

:D :D
Jack
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

Start saving for retirement NOW.

Seriously.
Rick T.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'll go with the bard on this one:

"See thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportion'd thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledged comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel; but being in,
Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous, chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Mate, I don't know what your short comings are but anyhow, something good to work on is your listening skills. So few people are good at this. The trick is to listen & process what you hear before you think of what to say in response. Sounds easy, hey ? but because a lot of people are thinking about the next thing they are going to say they never hear properly or understand what was just said to them.
When you get good at this the females around you will really appreciate you. It is a rare thing indeed for the ladies to encounter an attentive listening male who does not poo poo them & their ideas & tries to do as they want, not what the man feels is better for them.
My bussiness success is built on this & the word of mouth advertising runs ahead of me.
O.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Speak less than you know, have more than you show.
When you pick up the phone, smile. The person at the other end will feel it in your voice.
If someone asks you a question you don't want to answer to, just smile back and ask "why do you want to know?"
And now for the sunny side of life:
Work created man, but lazy bones didn't kill anyone either.
Anyone must have an activity, but this shouldn't degenerate into work.
If you colleague works, this doesn't mean you have to do the same.
Your job is not a pub, to stay after the closing time, nor it is a church, to go there on Sundays.
He who doesn't work, doesn't make mistakes - and therefore deserves a promotion.
Don't wish for the death of your boss. Work in such manner that he wishes it himself.

;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Menace

Post by Menace »

Don't cook bacon without a shirt on
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Menace wrote:Don't cook bacon without a shirt on
One in a while a pearl of wisdom which can be put into practice today. :)

Jack
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

All of life's big problems include the words 'indictment' or 'inoperable' - everything else is small stuff.--Alton Brown
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.