"Can I borrow your knife?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

marlinspike wrote:Not only do I readily lend knives, I've even given knives to people to keep. I find that after I do that, they always have a knife on them.
I agree.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think that people don't want to tell you what they are going to use your knife for if they know it is stupid to use a knife for something.

I do lend my knife, but I usually wince when I do. I try to keep my knives scary sharp and I know one of these days someone will do something stupid and I will be seeing red. Luckily I have a friend who borrowed a knife before and warns people not to borrow a knife from me because they are so sharp.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:I think that people don't want to tell you what they are going to use your knife for if they know it is stupid to use a knife for something.

I do lend my knife, but I usually wince when I do. I try to keep my knives scary sharp and I know one of these days someone will do something stupid and I will be seeing red. Luckily I have a friend who borrowed a knife before and warns people not to borrow a knife from me because they are so sharp.
I never let anyone touch or borrow my knives....I don't even use them....If I need a knife for something stupid...I'll borrow one from Donut..... :p Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
STAK

Post by STAK »

marlinspike wrote:Not only do I readily lend knives, I've even given knives to people to keep. I find that after I do that, they always have a knife on them.
:spyder: OK please give me: MANIX2 154CM, MANIX2 CTS-XHP, MANIX CF S90V, PM2 S30V, PM2 S90V, PM2 CTS-20CP and a few others :D . . . . I see you are reluctant :eek: . . . . Come on people, i never lend my SPIDIES, maybe sometimes i lend and/or give an old SAK or a gift folder from KC ;) . . . . I keep my SPIDIES super sharp and except the fact that SPIDIES are expensive folders, if someone ignorant try to use my wicked sharp SPIDIES the result will be "fatal" :eek: . . . . I have a story too . . . . A friend of mine asked me for a folder to cut open a big envelope, and trying to do so my SPIDIE (ENDURA2 SS SE) fall verticaly and hit the tip :mad: . . . . Result a blunt tip, fortunate not broken or bend, and me RED-BLACK-RED with smoke coming out of my ears :D . . . . Had to spent almost an hour to carefully correct the tip . . . . My friend sent me an apology written by hand, just to be sure that we are OK and he is not in DANGER any more :D . . . . NO SPIDIE GIVING, NEVER !!!! :) . . . . :spyder:
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

STAK wrote: :spyder: OK please give me: MANIX2 154CM, MANIX2 CTS-XHP, MANIX CF S90V, PM2 S30V, PM2 S90V, PM2 CTS-20CP and a few others :D . . . .
LOL...I'll lend my expensive knives, but if I give one as a gift it's usually a sub-$50.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I have a friend that I go camping with quite a bit and they are always asking to borrow my knife. After getting a Mora gnarled up a few times I bought em a BK-2 to wreak havoc on. I do not hand my Spydero to anyone unless they just want to admire it.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I have no problem lending a knife to someone who needs to cut something. I always carry a Victorinox Driver (I bought 3 at $9.95 each on sale) which I will happily lend. However, nobody gets to borrow one of the 2 or 3 Spydercos I'm also carrying.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Depends. If the friend is more valuable than the knife, then yes :) Rare, though-such people either ask me to cut for them, or have their own.

If not, then I'll dig out a cheap Mtech from my bag.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

At work, I loan out the lousy box cutters they issue. If I'm not at work and someone wants to borrow a knife they are evaluated individually and I do ask what they plan to do with it.

I have used statements like....

"why don't you have a knife?"
"where is your knife?"
"would you like to buy a knife?"
"have you ever used a sharp knife before?"
"do you have $300 on you right now?"
"is there something I can cut for you"
"no"
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Well, you have to think about what they are really asking.

If it is a non-knife-knut, it is probably, "I have this thing that need cutting, oh Joe has a knife, Sara told me so, I'll go get him." My response to that is, "sure, let me get that for you", and make knife conversation on the way.

If it is a confirmed user, their thought is probably "Hey I have this thing that needs cutting, but I forgot to grab my knife as usual, Joe has his I'm sure." To which my response is the same, "sure, let me get that for you", and make conversation on the way, maybe rub it in why they do not have theirs.

To a knut, they are thinking, "What do I have around here to cut so I can make an excuse to see Joe's new knife?". To which my response is, once again the same "sure, let me get that for you", but let them see it after the cut is made.

Short version - Lend to none, but share when possible.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:At work, I loan out the lousy box cutters they issue. If I'm not at work and someone wants to borrow a knife they are evaluated individually and I do ask what they plan to do with it.

I have used statements like....

"where is your knife?"
"no"
I have never been asked , but When ,or if I am. I will follow the above teachings. # 1 = evaluate the individual
# 2 = depends on #1
Donut

Post by Donut »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I never let anyone touch or borrow my knives....I don't even use them....If I need a knife for something stupid...I'll borrow one from Donut..... :p Doc :p
You don't even use them? :confused:

What happens if you get attacked by a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I lend my knives to my friends and they know how much I value my knives so they don't abuse them. Most are a bit nervous handling such a sharp blade that they're inherently careful.

I think sometimes we get too protective with our favorite knives that they don't get used as intended. I thought about carrying a "borrow" knife but I bought the (enter your favorite folder here) because it's such a great cutter. So it gets used.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Donut wrote:You don't even use them? :confused:

Doc carries 20 knives but rips sandwiches in half with his bare hands. :D
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Doc carries 20 knives but rips sandwiches in half with his bare hands. :D
Wait until one of those sandwiches makes a wrong move and attacks him. Then the blades will come out quickly. :p
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
unit

Post by unit »

It is a case by case basis....but most of the people I would trust with my knife, already have their own, and those that I do not trust...well not only would I not loan it to them, but I usually find that their "task" is not a knife job anyway.

Last time someone asked, they wanted to pry a couple pieces of metal apart...Nope, you can not borrow my knife, and I won't do the job for you, and don't bother ever asking again because you showed me everything I need to know. Perhaps I am a jerk...but they are my knives and anyone that is going to pry with someone else's knife....
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
unit

Post by unit »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:
"where is your knife?"
"no"
I am going to use these (all of them and in the order you have them). I bet few of the people that I encounter will make it to the last line before giving up and walking away...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
sgt Merrey

Post by sgt Merrey »

my responce is your a full grown adult male Why arent you carryn one yourself.Noyou cant borrow mine.
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Usually I am glad to help people, but most of the time I want to know for what they will use it. If it is no knife task, the don't get my knife.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:You don't even use them? :confused:

I have "Simple Man" Cut it for me...then we make knife conversation....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*