Dull Caly3??? zdp189?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gus88

Dull Caly3??? zdp189?

Post by gus88 »

So I got my Caly3 the other day and fell in love with the knife.
However, before paper testing or doing any other tests, I simply used the knife to open 1 blister pack (it was about a 6" cut) and I noticed that I struggled with the cut. Blister packs are no problem for all my spydercos.

So then I decided to paper test it, wouldnt slice at all without ripping. Tried many times.

So Im about to sit down and try sharpening this thing. Im sure Ill be able to get a great edge on it, but I hear zdp189 requires some work!

Anyone else have any problems with zdp189 or more specifically the caly3?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Funny you should ask. I have a multi-page thread going about this exact knife here:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49396

Come join the discussion!
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Not here. Excellent model and then sharpened up at 30 degrees inclusive angle.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

If you have to reprofile a ZDP blade, it can be quite a chore and take a fair amount of grinding that goes very slowly. It's best to use something very aggressive like coarse (or XC or XXC) diamond stones or the diamond SM rods. Once you have the bevels properly set up, they are pretty easy to touch up and keep sharp, ime.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

ZDP is a PITA to reprofile, Diamond stones are the way to go. It doesn't act the same way as vg-10 or S30V. If you build up a large burr it will take a piece of the edge with it when it goes. It pays to take time and gentle pressure to sharpen.

I was successful with my D'Fly. The stuff just wants to stick to itself though :eek: Probably why it keeps the edge so well :D It's a challenging material to sharpen (notice I don't say steel) :rolleyes:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

ZDP, like most knives are easy to maintain. My ZDP delica wouldn't have gotten dull enough to not slice paper.

I just reprofiled mine to 9 degrees per side, then put a 18 degree microbevel. It took 2+ hours with a 120 grit water stone to reprofile. Then it took 3 minutes to put on the micro bevel to 3000 grit polish. I maintain with a few strokes on each side with the tape.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

.357 mag wrote:ZDP, like most knives are easy to maintain. My ZDP delica wouldn't have gotten dull enough to not slice paper.

I just reprofiled mine to 9 degrees per side, then put a 18 degree microbevel. It took 2+ hours with a 120 grit water stone to reprofile. Then it took 3 minutes to put on the micro bevel to 3000 grit polish. I maintain with a few strokes on each side with the tape.
Exactly how I feel. I don't go as low as 9 deg. for a back bevel but do keep an 18-20 deg. edge bevel. This makes for a very nice slicing knife (depending on grind), great edge retention and an easily maintained sharp edge.

Jack
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Hi there,
Seems a bit unusual for a Spydie to not be scary sharp out of the box. I used to find ZDP to be a PITA to sharpen, but with the Sharpmaker it isn't too much of a problem. Requires a bit more work (I usually give it 40 strokes per side), but it holds the edge really well. A great knife.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My ZDP Caly 3 was easily the sharpest out of the box that i've experienced with Spyderco. That knife honestly made me sit down and reevaluate my sharpening skills and basically start over from scratch because it blew away everything that i thought was sharp up until that point.

I will say though, it was a serious PITA to sharpen once it got a bit dull, and then it became the basis of my relearning of sharpening.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpydieDelica4

Post by SpydieDelica4 »

My caly3 came extremely sharp, but i still touched it up. it hasn't been a chore for me to sharpen, but i keep up with it. I think it's one of the best edge holding blades i have besides my military.
gus88

Post by gus88 »

I was definitely expecting one of the sharper spydercos when I opened that box. Still sharp, but wouldnt cut paper just after cutting one blister pack.

I threw it in my Lansky (I know I know I need to get a sharpmaker for these FFG blades!!!) and re-profiled it to 20degrees per side. Took quite some time on the basic rough stone, but I got it where I want it to be. For some reason I must have not been paying attention to the tip though, as it is still not up to par. Gonna work on that this evening.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gus88 wrote: (I know I know I need to get a sharpmaker for these FFG blades!!!)
Eh, i've been using mine for about a year now with no issues whatsoever on FFG blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

20 degrees per side is kind of high for the blade profile, imo, especially for ZDP. Usually 20 degrees is for a micro bevel. The "back bevel" should be no higher than 15 degrees per side and many people profile ZDP blades to lower angles than that. It will cut better at 15 degrees per side, imo.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).