Best Spyderco for Self Defense.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

paisa777 wrote:The OP hasn't even posted again since starting this thread.

Do you blame him? :(
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

I am a minor I have carried knives for years and use them as tools. From gutting animals to gardening to all the edc uses. Don't think of it as a weapon think of it as a tool.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

knife nut404 wrote:I am a minor I have carried knives for years and use them as tools. From gutting animals to gardening to all the edc uses. Don't think of it as a weapon think of it as a tool.
If you use it as a tool...it is a tool.....use it like a weapon....it's a weapon....you can call it a tool all you want, but use it illegally...it will be considered a weapon.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Self defense tool?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Self defense tool?
No such thing.....well maybe in the minds of those who consider themselves Politically Correct.....true test would be trying to explain that to a jury of 12.
Fact is all tools can become dangerous weapons. Fact is anything you use against another human being who is not armed and threatening you, say the poker from your fireplace, or if you hit someone over the head with a lamp, or stab someone with your umbrella point, or clop someone upside the head with a telephone receiver, or a hit with a hammer, a slice from a trowel. choking someone with copper wire, the stab of a screwdriver...etc etc.etc. anything used against another will be then be considered a dangerous weapon. You can call it a tool....but they will call it a weapon.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:No such thing.....well maybe in the minds of those who consider themselves Politically Correct.....true test would be trying to explain that to a jury of 12.
Fact is all tools can become dangerous weapons. Fact is anything you use against another human being who is not armed and threatening you, say the poker from your fireplace, or if you hit someone over the head with a lamp, or stab someone with your umbrella point, or clop someone upside the head with a telephone receiver, or a hit with a hammer, a slice from a trowel. choking someone with copper wire, the stab of a screwdriver...etc etc.etc. anything used against another will be then be considered a dangerous weapon. You can call it a tool....but they will call it a weapon.....Doc :D
I concur Doc. :D

Just being facetious but I can see I'm not getting away with it. ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

LOL.....I know you only own tools.....Me too....You should see my tool belt....LMAO...Doc :p

JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP was that he was a reporter for a major news organization, and when I watch Dateline NBC in 6 months I will read the OP again, together with a very carefully selected and edited series of responses from various posters that paint all of us knife toting wackos in our true colors.

Part of the aftermath of the whole BATFE thing ya know...

Maybe I'm.... cynical. :)
Jbgecko13

Post by Jbgecko13 »

*Cho* wrote:It is a good thing Gerry McGinnis didn't come here seeking advice from a couple members otherwise he would probably have been chased away from one of his future careers. I mean if a minor inquirying into knives raised this much of an uproar image the flack a 15 year old wanting to learn how to make knives would get. Because everyone knows this dude just wanted to make a sweet piece which he could brandish in his hood...the snot nosed lil punk.

http://www.crkt.com/gerrymcginnis
This post was great!!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

kawr wrote:As a minor there's no reason for you to even be carrying a knife of any sort. Why? You spend at least 5 out of 7 days inside of a school that does not allow a knife of any sort, not even a SAK. No reason to risk getting suspended or worse expelled. Get some edc knives like the Delica to use at home and if you have a job maybe there as well. I was in high school just a few years ago so I know how it can feel but honestly you just have no use for a SD knife as a kid. Seriously. Unless you walk through the projects to get to school and even then its better to use them nikes instead.
Depends on where he lives doesn't it? I had a knife in my pocket regardless of where I was from middle school forward.

I agree with the overall sentiments of this thread in that "your honor, my defendant just happened to have the aforementioned knife on his person when the incident occurred, and he just happened to defend himself with it...." sounds a lot better than you having knowingly gone armed with the intent to use the knife as a defensive weapon. ;)

I also agree with the concept that anything on your person even a belt or literally the shirt off your back, can become a weapon in a moment's notice. I actually recall hearing about a kid when I was in high school several years ago who was a senior, had "everything going for him"...who one day in study hall decided to kill himself by shoving a pencil through his own eye socket...very similar to the scene in "The Dark Knight".
Jbgecko13

Post by Jbgecko13 »

I would like to relate my personal experience at this age.

I was not the greatest high school kid, punk rocker, and in my day that was not cool, I also had a fair amount of people that did not like my choices and tried to express those opinions to me on a daily basis. At 15 I already had a few SAK's and maybe a cheap folder. I also had a buck 110 (which I still have) and some others I am forgetting. I knew that is was illegal for me to carry a knife to school so I came up with some alternatives that teachers back then did not realize were considered a weapon and just having the tool with me was enough of a deterrent 99% of the time. I had the Famous NINJA key chain attached to my keys and I had a binder that was cloth wrapped steel or heavy aluminum. After a few confrontations at school and the bully seeing that I was ready to smash him with my metal binder I gained a little airspace and never had further problems once the knuckleheads knew I had tools and was ready to make repairs.

the 2 or three times I was in actual fights out of school, pulling my SAK out was the furthest thing from my mind because I also had some intelligent Boy Scout Training that taught me a great deal of respect for knives. If a fight was going bad (I never instigated) I would run, gladly. The old phrase really applies, run away today and live to fight another day. (or something like that)

Fast Forward to today, and nearing 42. The first tool I pull out when a potential conflict is coming is my Fenix LD20 181 lumen flashlight. It can act as a kubaton, it can temporarily blind an assailant, and it has a flasher that some people will start convulsing just when they see that. in the next case something else might be deployed but the situation would need to escalate to fear for my life.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This thread coming back from the grave is like a Macgyver marathon!

Not really, lol. :)
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

My edc tool is my Endura with the wave, its larger than any work need I have but really I'd look a whole lot more threatening with a large kitchen knife or a screwdriver in my back pocket if we're talking weapons.
For self defense I've had everything from pens to cans of axe to double as mace, knives to mini bats, the best self defense I've ever *used* though is knowing my surroundings, knowing when to shut up, and not placing myself in a dangerous situation to begin with.
Most offenders look for an easy target, a "mark" if you will, being aware of your surroundings and situations, may allow them to pass you over in search of an easier target. That's YOUR best defense.
Too many people think, I'll see it coming, I'll get the drop or the upper hand on them. Victims are made very quickly best way to avoid becoming one is not being a *potential* victim.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I carried a Bali-Song when I went to High School on the outskirts of Chicago. Gang violence and general fist fights broke out frequently.

The only fight I ever got in though was caused by.... wait for it.... the Bali-Song in my back pocket.

Go figure...

Want to hear something even funnier than that? The Bali-Song was a Christmas gift from my 15yo girlfriend (now my 38yo wife) who had to have her mom buy it because you needed a credit card. What the heck kind of parent buys a freaking Bali-Song for her daughter to give to her boyfriend???
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
gus88

Post by gus88 »

Zatx wrote: What the heck kind of parent buys a freaking Bali-Song for her daughter to give to her boyfriend???
they dont sound too bad :D :D funny story
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

^That's a parent I'd like my girlfriend to have :D

To OP, if you're still listening:

I'm a minor as well and I'm guessing that your situation is rather similar to mine. The earlier posts regarding training are very apt ones. Don't worry about self-defence first, worry about things like situational awareness and being able to read body language. Have a good, healthy dose of common sense-know where to go and where not to.

On the choice of a knife:

To me a knife is tool first and weapon last, so my carry choices are far more tuned towards, say, Kiwi, Dragonfly and SAK than Yojimbo, Ronin or P'kal. (I'm waiting for my G10 Dragonfly, upon which the Kiwi will be passed down to one of my junior Scouts). That said, learning how to use one can do you no harm. Do make sure that you don't do anything dumb with it-as far as possible try to make sure nobody knows you have one.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Zatx wrote: What the heck kind of parent buys a freaking Bali-Song for her daughter to give to her boyfriend???
Sounds like the type of fam I'd marry into as well, they're looking out for you.
I'd like to know how that fight started...

Self defense is key if you have anything on hand or not, you cannot allow someone to have their will overpower yours, especially if their will is to do you harm.
I'm hoping when I move I can get into some sort of training, not just bladed but general self defense, better to be prepared and not need it.

The reason I made a point to mention my knife was my Endura was selected as a tool obviously, I used it today to open packing slips while someone else used my cheap box cutter. My reason to buy the wave was, if I need it in a hurry it will be there, and quickly. At work I often use the wave, back pocket or front because why not? Gets the blade out quick so I can get to using it. If I ever need it for self defense, boom same deal.

I was originally looking into balisongs (cannot legally have one where I live, trainers are fine) but it was either buy a cheap one that would likely break, or buy an expensive trainer like the spyderco, then I thought, instead of a "toy" why not spend the cash and get a true blade I can legally carry? The wave happen to suit the "true blade" thinking for fast deployment.

SD I'd look for something that can be ready quick and you feel comfortable with the P'kal endura delica with a wave is the way to go. It gets out fast and your ready to rock.
The Cold Steel Paradox would have been cool I guess but 2 handed opening just seemed too silly to be worth it.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
gus88

Post by gus88 »

i dont usually carry for self defense, but when i do, its typically the endura wave. fastest deploying knife there is, and fairly good size. only problem is mine is a little loose on the lock-up...but ive noticed all enduras and delicas are :( :( i really wish they made a para2 wave...id carry it every day...probably wouldnt look right though. oh well

but like everyone else has said, the best defense is awareness
EnderWiggin

Post by EnderWiggin »

It is funny how times and perceptions change.

When I was in high school in the late 80's, I carried a stainless Worker every day to high school. It just wasn't a big deal. I used it as a tool when needed. I never got into fights though.

After I graduated, I passed that Worker down to my baby sister. Now for her, I showed her how to slash with it, from nads to neck. Ha, I was always worried about her and trying to look after her especially after our single mother had passed away when she was 11, and I was 16.

I think she still has it. I need to ask her. Kinda wish I still had it. That was not my first actual knife, but it was my first clip knife and my first Spyderco.

I am happy I kept my Shabaria. Original, factory edge, never sharpened, #271 with numbers matching box.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

gus88 wrote:i dont usually carry for self defense, but when i do, its typically the endura wave. fastest deploying knife there is, and fairly good size. only problem is mine is a little loose on the lock-up...but ive noticed all enduras and delicas are :( :( i really wish they made a para2 wave...id carry it every day...probably wouldnt look right though. oh well

but like everyone else has said, the best defense is awareness
Ziptie mod,poormans emerson for your ParaII.
thewannabesurvivalist