Bringing Your Spydies to Dinner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gus88

Bringing Your Spydies to Dinner

Post by gus88 »

So the food prep thread got me thinking...how many people here actually bring a folding spyderco out to restaurants?

I can think of PLENTY of times I wished I had a sharper knife at a meal. Sure, I could have probably bothered the waiter for a sharper knife, but Im not like that.

I was struck with the idea to legitimately start carrying a folder on specific occasions when going to eat at a restaurant. I just received my brand new SuperLeaf, and as soon as I got it out of the box it reminded me of a nice kitchen knife for some reason. It looks clean and classy, and does not have any wild curves or eye catching attachments.

So who here carries :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: to restaurants???
What are your experiences, and what places do you recommend?

I figured your best bet would be your more expensive place such as a steak or seafood place. Not somewhere 6-star though or they might think you are not fit for their atmosphere. And a typical joint like a burger or burrito place, I also do not imagine would be a great place to use your own knife, as there are many people coming and going and children too. However I imagine if you opened the knife under the table, and didnt draw attention to it, no one would probably notice (except maybe your server)
:cool: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :cool:
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

I carry a Spydie of some sort all the time. Las time I used a Spydeco at a Restaraunt was last summer at a Steak House, a Giraffe Boned Kopa was used to more speedily carve up some dinner for my son.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I hate those dull blunt things they give you for a steak at a restaurant. I remember one company picnic given by the company my dad worked for had steak. Everyone was breaking their plastic knives trying to cut their steaks, except me with a pocket knife. :)
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I don't understand those serrated "steak knives" they give you at some places. They really aren't sharp, they just rip the meat apart rather than cutting it. Personally, I've taken my Para2 out at a steak joint recently (not a real high end place). Fortunately, they served the steak on those nice wooden platter things, so it didn't roll over the edge of my knife. It cut very nice, thin, juicy strips off the steak - just like I like it.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I never leave home without a Spyderco or two in my pockets and if I know I'm going to a restaurant I make sure one of them has at least a 3.5" blade. If they give me a decent knife, the Spyderco stays in my pocket. If not, I use it. It get used most of the time and if the wait person gives me a funny look, I simply tell them that their knives don't cut any better than their forks.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KBR

Post by KBR »

I have no problem taking out my Military and cutting up my food as needed.....all the steak knives that I've seen in restaurants are simply too dull for me. :D

As for the possibility of 'offending' anyone or drawing attention by non-knife carrying sheeple.....I simply don't care and will gladly discuss the purpose of my EDC to any who ask...
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I think that that is really weird. Almost like bringing your own food into the restaurant. Or using your edc to cut your food when you're a guest at somebody's house.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I think the question should be "who here doesn't bring a Spyderco out in a restaurant" :D

I mostly go to Szechuan or Hong Kong style restaurants but the odd time I'm in a steak house then Spydie comes out.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Tank

Post by Tank »

I never leave home without at least one spydie so I always have one when we are out to dinner. If dinner out is planned in advance then make sure I have my stretch or mili with me.
-John
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I think the Centofante 3 is the perfect steak knife myself.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
mrrampro

Post by mrrampro »

I personally think the Endura 4 FFG is a great food prep/eating blade.
:spyder:'s
Police SS, 2 x Endura, 2 x Delica, Sage 3, Caly 3.5,
2 x Tenacious, Persistance, Ladybug H-1, Salt 1,
J.D. Smith, Centefonte 3, 3 x Cara Cara, Robin SS
And my fav the Para 2!!!!!!!!
Simper Fi
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I was told that until a while ago it was fairly common for people in France to use their own pocket knife at a cafe when they ordered food. I suppose this was in the days when most people routinely carried a good, sharp knife and so there was no need for the cafe to supply any.

I'd have no problems getting my UKPK out in a restaurant if they didn't supply knives that were up to the job. Recently I heard of someone who, when he asked if he could have a sharper knife, was told that they were all fairly dull for "health & safety reasons" :eek:
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

ChrisR wrote:Recently I heard of someone who, when he asked if he could have a sharper knife, was told that they were all fairly dull for "health & safety reasons" :eek:
Not to mention that when you load a bunch of "knives" into the industrial dishwasher over and over every day, they tend to get dull pretty quick. Even if they bought good steel, they wouldn't know how to care for it...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Oh heck no, not around here.....

Someone would call 911 in a split second....

Don't use my folders on food anyway, but I wouldn't even try and use a small fixed blade in a restaurant....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:Oh heck no, not around here.....

Someone would call 911 in a split second....

Don't use my folders on food anyway, but I wouldn't even try and use a small fixed blade in a restaurant....
As bleating heart liberal infested as this area can be, if I'm at a table or in a booth rather than sitting at a counter I honestly don't believe anyone would bat an eye if I discreetly unsheathed a Street Beat, Aqua Salt, or Vagabond in a restaurant, placed it on the table, and then used it to cut my food.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:As bleating heart liberal infested as this area can be, if I'm at a table or in a booth rather than sitting at a counter I honestly don't believe anyone would bat an eye if I discreetly unsheathed a Street Beat, Aqua Salt, or Vagabond in a restaurant, placed it on the table, and then used it to cut my food.
I wouldn't bet money on it. ;)

It might not happen the 1st time or even the 5th time, but it only takes once to cause a real problem....

Then you would have to justify it, good luck with that...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I saw folding knives in a catalog designed (or advertised) for taking to resturaunts as steak knives. Folded, they were slim enough to be in a jacket pocket unnoticed. I thought it was a good idea because it's a little annoying to saw on a nice steak with a dull knife. You just need to "take the edge off" so a razor edge doesn't roll on a hard plate leaving you with a duller knife than the server gave you.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I used my ZDP Endura to cut up some skewered meat for my granddaughter in a food court last week. I believe I even saw some "want to borrow" my knife looks for their barbecued meat.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jackknifeh wrote:I saw folding knives in a catalog designed (or advertised) for taking to resturaunts as steak knives. Folded, they were slim enough to be in a jacket pocket unnoticed. I thought it was a good idea because it's a little annoying to saw on a nice steak with a dull knife. You just need to "take the edge off" so a razor edge doesn't roll on a hard plate leaving you with a duller knife than the server gave you.

Jack
If the steaks are that tough then they aren't worth eating IMO.

I can cut the steaks I make with a butter knife easy. ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Ankerson wrote:If the steaks are that tough then they aren't worth eating IMO.

I can cut the steaks I make with a butter knife easy. ;)
I'll be needing your address so I can come over the next time you cook steak. :D I used a smilie to indicate humor but I'm serious! Where do you live?

:D :D
Jack