Removing delrin spacer Millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Post by brj »

David Lowry wrote:My standard CPM-S30V Military has an aluminum backspacer. I scratched it to see, no plastic at all.
as I have found out, somewhere in the fall of 2009, Spyderco replaced delrin with aluminum on all Millie models
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
brj

Post by brj »

type00rev wrote: Perhaps Spyderco has moved to putting aluminum back spacers in the current production Military. My old S30V Millie dated AG (01/07) sports a delrin spacer.
you are correct; as I have found out, somewhere in the fall of 2009, Spyderco replaced delrin with aluminum on all Millie models
type00rev wrote:Is the aluminum tapped to accept the handle screws or is a push in stand off still used as with the delrin spacers?
tapped
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

brj wrote:The way I see it, the rigidity of the handle is assured by the huge amount of steel that extends inside the handle when the knife is open - on the pivot end, and by the stepped lanyard pipe - on the back of the knife, and only marginally by the backspacer... The fact that the fluted Ti model has only standoffs may also corroborate.

I cannot recommend that you remove the backspacer on your knife, but I can confirm that in my 2+ years usage I have noticed no differences determined by the lack of the backspacer on my Millies... of course YMMV :)
G-10 is considerably less rigid than titanium, and the G-10 Military has only partial liners, so there really isn't a huge amount of steel in that rather long span between the blade tang/stop pin in the front and the lanyard pipe in the back.

Which is not to say that, for the vast majority of users, stand offs would not work just as well as the partial backspacer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

brj wrote:The way I see it, the rigidity of the handle is assured by the huge amount of steel that extends inside the handle when the knife is open - on the pivot end, and by the stepped lanyard pipe - on the back of the knife, and only marginally by the backspacer... The fact that the fluted Ti model has only standoffs may also corroborate.

I cannot recommend that you remove the backspacer on your knife, but I can confirm that in my 2+ years usage I have noticed no differences determined by the lack of the backspacer on my Millies... of course YMMV :)
I understand that that's how you see it...but I think it's important to remember how the designer of the knife sees it. :rolleyes:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think the cf millie should have come with a peel ply textured back spacer. To increase rigidity, visual appeal, and add a little grip. But mostly for aesthetic qualities. If I had time and money I would fabricate one myself. I wish the g10 models came with a g10 backspacer too. The aluminium used not is better than the delrin in my opinion though. I would love to see a standoff only millie though
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

VashHash wrote:I think the cf millie should have come with a peel ply textured back spacer.
That is not possible. Peelply G10 and CF is, AFAIK, flat. The back of the handle, and the spacer, are curved.
Tom
dialex

Post by dialex »

I wouldn't worry about removing that ugly piece of plastic (or aluminium). There are many knives that use only standoffs and they are doing fine.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

brj wrote:you are correct; as I have found out, somewhere in the fall of 2009, Spyderco replaced delrin with aluminum on all Millie models

tapped
Thanks for the info.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

dialex wrote:I wouldn't worry about removing that ugly piece of plastic (or aluminium). There are many knives that use only standoffs and they are doing fine.
Ergo: my orange squashed jellybean isn't that bad....
Tom
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Depending on what you put the cf/g10 in would depend on the overall shape. That's the beauty of such materials. They start off soft and pliable then become rigid after the epoxy cures. You can basically cast carbon fiber into any shape. They make cellos, violins and guitars out of the stuff