Military : What could be better ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
geronm042

Military : What could be better ?

Post by geronm042 »

Hi guys,

I got my first mili a fiew weeks ago (black blade / digo camo... Goooooorgious !).

I try to edc it as much as I can. I'm such a big fan of this knife which looks like the most perfect piece of design I have ever handle. So simple but so achieved in every way.

I've tried to search some threads or information on an hypothetic second version (when ? what ?) but ended up with tons of threads on the current version on the mili and PM.

So what would you guys consider as an improvement of this knife ?

My only points at the moment would be :
- Improving the handle shape close to the pivot in order to get a better access to the jimpings (the ones where the forefinger sits)
- Improving the blade / handle length ratio

PS : sorry if the question was already ask somewhere else... :rolleyes:
LeathermanFan

Post by LeathermanFan »

The Ontario Rat 1 is suppose to be a great knife for people in the military.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I haven't seen anything better if you live in an area where a 4" blade is legal. The lightness of the Military makes it easy to do fine work with that you would normally use a smaller blade for.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
cr123

Post by cr123 »

What could make it better? Maybe one for each hand. :0)

I know some folks wanted the option to carry it tip up.

If anything, it would be nice to see more lefty variations. I EDC the lefty but would be nice for it to come in safety orange g-10.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

geronm042 wrote:Military : What could be better ?
Two militaries. ;)
LeathermanFan wrote:The Ontario Rat 1 is suppose to be a great knife for people in the military.
What the heck are you talking about? The OP is asking about a specific model that spyderco makes. I guess you better lurk more and learn more and post less in the meantime.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

What could be better? Use a better steel than S30V for the stock production model.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I'm betting that when the Military 2 comes out it will have a stop lock, 4 way clip, and the bushing pivot all similar to the Para 2 changes except the lock of course.

Knowing Spyderco, they will be subtle yet good changes. I hope they come out with the model soon.
LeathermanFan

Post by LeathermanFan »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What the heck are you talking about? The OP is asking about a specific model that spyderco makes. I guess you better lurk more and learn more and post less in the meantime.
To be honest, I just posted my response based on the thread title alone.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

LeathermanFan wrote:To be honest, I just posted my response based on the thread title alone.
Obviously... :p
KBR

Post by KBR »

geronm042 wrote: So what would you guys consider as an improvement of this knife ?
IMO, along with the opinions of many other admirers of the Military, there shouldn't be any changes made to the current Millie....this Spyder is perfect. The only thing that would interest me has already been done.....using other steels in place of S30V(i.e. S90V, D2, etc.). I do believe that the current Military is so popular that even if/when Spyderco comes out with the Military 2, the original Military will still stay in production as well.
My only points at the moment would be :
- Improving the handle shape close to the pivot in order to get a better access to the jimpings (the ones where the forefinger sits)
- Improving the blade / handle length ratio
I'm curious.....how could the blade/handle length ratio be improved in your opinion? :confused: :confused:
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
MCM

Post by MCM »

Tip up option.
Relax the ball detent.
Deep pocket carry.
That's it.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

LeathermanFan wrote:To be honest, I just posted my response based on the thread title alone.
:rolleyes:
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Thicker bulkier screws, different steel.

Thats it, Not much to change on an already near perfect folder with not much competition in regards to a being big lightweight slicer.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

I'd love to see, in addition to the changes you stated, a matte black 4 way pocket clip instead of the shiny black and a bigger lanyard hole. Other than that, its perfect!
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

The current Millie is as perfect as it's going to get. Don't change a thing.
Leave the four way clip and the rest of the hoopla for the impending Millie 2.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

+1 for the thicker / top grade screws.

Not a big fan of deep carry on this one. Left handed OK, but I prefer the heavy duty clip and the way it is now, around the pivot, which provide a good grip to get the knife out of the pocket !

By handle / blade ratio length improvement, I meant that they should be a few mm to win on the blade now. But maybe it would make the tip to weak. I don't know, just a suggestion.

I'm not a big fan of the Ti version too. Heavier, a little less grip (and could get wet / slippy because of condensation when cold ?). But I'm dreaming to find the Ti / G-10 version in M4. Big fan of the frame lock here.

Also, just for the F&F, a very-little swedge (dragonfly-like) could be very nice :)
vega77

Post by vega77 »

Every knife can be improved. Even a good one like the Military.
Thicker screws
The spacer is plastic and the screws are metallic
Matte black pocket clip
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

The Mili is an excellent knife. I got my orange Mili literally a month before the lefty version came out :(

There are few locks with the simplicity of the liner lock which are also ambidextrous, sadly, or that'd be my top call for an improvement. Other improvements:

-The back spacer replaced with pillars. I've seen this done, it looks great.
-A slight "swell" in the handles, so the scales aren't flat but a little domed. This wouldn't sacrifice much width and would look and feel even better.
-A permanent production S90V model, but here I'm just dreaming.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

There is still quite a bit of tollerance between the pivot and the pivothole in the blade.
If you open the knife halfway, you can clearly feel it.
Luckely it's a linerlock so you don't notice it when locked open.
Also the detend is not perfect.
When in detend position, you can still push the blade into the handle a bit.
Not by much and also not a problem.
To call it perfect, these two things should be done better.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
brj

Post by brj »

jezabel wrote:The current Millie is as perfect as it's going to get. Don't change a thing.
Leave the four way clip and the rest of the hoopla for the impending Millie 2.

J
^^ my thoughts exactly
I usually remove the backspacer and replace it with standoffs, but I can handle it myself, no need to bother the good folks at Spyderco with such a trivial issue :)
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal