Two new Millies; Old- and Newschool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Two new Millies; Old- and Newschool

Post by toomzz »

Guys! It must be my lucky week I guess. This week my 'new' CPM 440V Military came in. My wishful-thinking of getting my old Millie back came true when I was able to make a deal with a very nice Frenchman ;)
I bought a 440V back in 1999 during my Kosovo-tour. In 2000 I lost the knife somehow which I always regretted. This week it came in the mail. Used, but in good shape. I was suprised again by its weight and slimness...

The second one I found today. Once a year we have the Dutch Knife Event in Tiel. Strawling around I met Jurphaas again at the Adola-booth (dutch cutlery-business), off-course with large showcases with Spydies. Looking around for specials I picked out a brand new Military in S90V. I had to think a little whether to buy it or not but after a little hour I made up my mind (helped by an even better price by Adola's boss). I was right in time back at the booth because the blade had great attention.

There was a second surprise in Tiel today; I found a D2-Millie as well. I left the knife because the blade was off-center. But somehow the thought that there still is a D2 out there keeps my busy.

Two great deals this week!

Happy Easter!
Attachments
militaries 011.jpg
militaries 011.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Tom
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Nice looking millies, and great finds! I know that CF/S90V model is particularly hot with collectors..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

Great scores man.....I myself am on the lookout for a 440V Military. They are next to impossible to find NIB.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Congratulations on your outstanding finds!

If I may, recommend you NOT pass up on a Spyderco D2 Military when you come across one. I made that mistake and was fortunate to eventually find one a couple of years later.

Would you rather have a D2 Military with a slightly off-centered blade or not have one at all? Something to think about.

Again, congratulations!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
angusW

Post by angusW »

Great find Toomzz. Still wish the "Military" was on the newer Military's.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Water Bug wrote:If I may, recommend you NOT pass up on a Spyderco D2 Military when you come across one. I made that mistake and was fortunate to eventually find one a couple of years later.

Would you rather have a D2 Military with a slightly off-centered blade or not have one at all? Something to think about.
Indeed, I think I will go after that knife for the simple fact I don't have a spydie yet in D2. When I remember correctly that knife had olive-green G10 scales, right? The one I encountered yesterday had black (G10) scales and was numbered. Was that a special run?

T.
Tom
KBR

Post by KBR »

Awesome finds, toomzz.....makes me wish I hadn't gotten away from Spydies for the long while that I did or I'd still have my three 440V Millies(PE, CE, SE). :( But I hope to have your kind of luck as I begin my Millie collecting again....
angusW wrote:Great find Toomzz. Still wish the "Military" was on the newer Military's.
Unfortunately, this is one thing that I was surprised to find that was changed on the newer Millies. IMHO, this classic Spyder isn't a bonafide Millie without MILITARY stamped on the blade.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Wow, great finds! I love the old CPM-440V Militarys. Like others have said, I wish I still have my plain edge version, shouldn't have sold it.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Nice finds , my first :spyder: I bought Jan this year was a 440v 1997 military. It had been sitting in a display case for 13 years. Congrats on replacing yours. :) by the way I had no idea it wasn't the newest version.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

toomzz wrote:Indeed, I think I will go after that knife for the simple fact I don't have a spydie yet in D2. When I remember correctly that knife had olive-green G10 scales, right? The one I encountered yesterday had black (G10) scales and was numbered. Was that a special run?

T.
The CPM-D2 Militaries had a foliage green handle. If you found a black one, somebody either did a blade swap or dyed the handle.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

toomzz wrote:Indeed, I think I will go after that knife for the simple fact I don't have a spydie yet in D2. When I remember correctly that knife had olive-green G10 scales, right? The one I encountered yesterday had black (G10) scales and was numbered. Was that a special run?

T.
As Yowzer noted, Foliage Green G-10 scales were featured on the Spyderco D2 Military. I'm not aware of any special versions of this knife being offered in Black G-10 by Spyderco.

You noted that it had a number... was this number on the blade? The knife could be from the Spyderco Collectors Club. I don't know if Club Members can make special requests for their knives or if the previous owner added the Black G-10 scales later.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Maybe RIT dyed?
Senate

Post by Senate »

Glad you like it! :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978