Spyderco Machete

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DaRTH SfaRi

Spyderco Machete

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

does anyone else have any interest in seeing spyderco make an ethnic machete? Or am I alone on this one
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Sure --- a 14"-20" blade Barong would be cool !!!!
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

I want a Spyderco Panga machete ! Or a big survival blade from spyderco .
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

Spyderco Golok!!!!!!!!!!
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

There already seems to be a large number of ethnic working type knives on the market in just about every price niche. I do not think this is a market that Spyderco needs to enter.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The big Hossom knife (Forager?) is basically a machete already.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

dj moonbat wrote:The big Hossom knife (Forager?) is basically a machete already.
But it is discontinued .I can't get one .
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

You can buy great machetes for just about nothing. What do you think Spyderco can add to a machete next to their name and a hole in the blade?
DaRTH SfaRi

Post by DaRTH SfaRi »

Koen Z wrote:You can buy great machetes for just about nothing. What do you think Spyderco can add to a machete next to their name and a hole in the blade?
Ur good thats exactly what im talkn bout...maybe a 16" bolo style...i prefer only Spyderco because im more of a quality over quantity person so those other companies are the equivalent to a 99 cent store item...CHEAP :D
Perrin PPT*Tasman Salt*Leafstorm*Persistence*Kiwi SS Lockback*Stretch*Caly 3.5 Super Blue Sprint Run*Matriarch 2* SmallFly*Endura 4 FFG Orange*Schempp Rock*Endura 4 ZDP-189*
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

I respectfully disagree.

There are very decent machetes featuring a thin, convex ground toolsteel blade and a great handle for some money. I honestly don't know what Spyderco can improve about such a blade. The fact that they are very affordable doesn't mean it's not quality.

I like quality too, but what do you think Spyderco can improve on such a blade?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I got a great Tramontina for about $8. No interest in a Spyder machete.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

If you want a high quality machete, ESEE make a great one for about 50 bucks
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
AmphibianTiger

Post by AmphibianTiger »

I think that there are enough machetes out there. Buy a knife companies machete, for ten bucks, sharpen it, be happy. They're not the most precise tools in the world, so I don't think there is any real need for a Spyderco Machete, although I'm sure quality would be amazing. But as Dgulbra said, there are already companies that are more established in the high-quality outdoor tool market.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

A while ago, I bought what was being sold as a "WWII Pilots knife" on eBait. I have no idea if it really was used by pilots but it was cheap and I appreciate the oddity of it. It's about machete size and shape and is a folder. It was made by Case. I think the scales are Bakelite and the blade is some kind of carbon steel. I could see a Spyderco version of this thing. It would be awesome. I'd buy one for each hand
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Grumpy I would llike to see pics of that
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

I dont know about a Machete, but I would like to see a nice heavy chopper in M4. Even a dedicated skinning knife in S90V... Something about the size of a Para 2 as a fixed blade with a little more "sweep" to the blade in a good wear resistant steel (S90V!). That thing would be on my hip from the end of September to the beginning of February. Put a nice wide guthook on it.....
cckw

Post by cckw »

There are decent machetes out there at low prices, and custom makers for anyone wanting something special. I think it would be a poor fit for Spyderco.

If you are looking for a machete, the Tramontina has a good reputation, it just needs a little work when you first get it. The USGI machete from Ontario is a good option. I have two of each of those. in gardening shorter is better, but if just clearing weeds the USGI is the trick. I don't have one of these but Condor has a good rep and is higher priced then the first two.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I would be interested in principle, but Spyderco would not make one unless they had something to contribute in performance/value.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

VashHash wrote:Grumpy I would llike to see pics of that
OK Vash, here ya go:
Attachments
DSCN1663.jpg
DSCN1663.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
DSCN1662.jpg
DSCN1662.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
DSCN1661.jpg
DSCN1661.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
DSCN1660.jpg
DSCN1660.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DaRTH SfaRi wrote:does anyone else have any interest in seeing spyderco make an ethnic machete? Or am I alone on this one
If you ask people on this forum if they want a metal object with a sharp edge you will never be alone. :D For me though I seldom use a machete and have a Cold Steel one that cost me $18.00. Even though I've bought more Spyderco knives than I need, every one is to be used. I doubt if I were to buy a machete that cost very much money. The Cold Steel machete has 1095 carbon steel and holds an edge fine for me. Believe it or not I can slice paper with it nicely which is probably not needed for a machete. I wanted to see if it would shave facial hair but my son wouldn't let me shave him. :mad: What a wimp! :D It does go through small tree limbs nicely though. Also, I use one so infrequently that I must make sure I have sturdy shoes on to protect my toes. :eek: I chop bushes and small tree limbs in the yard from time to time. But, if I used a machete more I would definately want a nicer one just because I like nice things and I know if Spyderco made it it would be nice. Even their value products are top notch as far as I'm concerned. If the quality of stainless steel makes a difference in price can you imagine how much an 18" M4 machete would cost? Is carbon steel cheaper?

Jack