Easy $125 Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Easy $125 Forum Knife

Post by Sequimite »

With Golden making Manix 2's and Para 2's as fast as they can for all the exclusives and sprint runs it doesn't seem like there is much opportunity for a forum knife this year.

Why not turn the problem into an opportunity? When the opportunity presents itself, bang out an extra 300 blades from one special, extra scales from a different special and you have a completely unique no sweat forum knife.

Just send all the parts home with Kristi and she can assemble them while watching "Deadliest Catch" and burn the "2011 Forum Knife" with her x-ray vision.

(This is a serious idea although the last sentence was not meant to be a factual statement.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
unit

Post by unit »

Interesting idea.

On a related topic, when was the last Spyderco Forum knife offered? I have never had an opportunity to get one...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I like the idea.

The last forum knife was the 2009 Spyderco Forum Native with dark purple scales, FFG blade and spyder web on blade with "2009 Spyderco Forum"

While we are talking ideas, I will say just one thing... With 10 Manix2 variations out there, I would opt out for a manix2 forum knife. Yes, we should be grateful for anything but IMO there are just too many. I would take a para2 in a heartbeat.
Come Join Us Click Here
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

unit wrote:On a related topic, when was the last Spyderco Forum knife offered? I have never had an opportunity to get one...
2009 Forum Native

I based the $125 (40% of Para2 list + $5) on the pricing of the Native which was offered at 40% off list. List was slightly higher than a regular Native due to custom color, laser etching, etc.

While the custom knife steel and scales might cost more, adding additional units onto an order is always cheaper.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sequimite wrote:With Golden making Manix 2's and Para 2's as fast as they can for all the exclusives and sprint runs it doesn't seem like there is much opportunity for a forum knife this year.

Why not turn the problem into an opportunity? When the opportunity presents itself, bang out an extra 300 blades from one special, extra scales from a different special and you have a completely unique no sweat forum knife.

Just send all the parts home with Kristi and she can assemble them while watching "Deadliest Catch" and burn the "2011 Forum Knife" with her x-ray vision.

(This is a serious idea although the last sentence was not meant to be a factual statement.
Does anyone remember the song about the car made from different car's body parts (fenders, doors, etc.)? Is that what this forum knife will look like? lol

Jack
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jackknifeh wrote:Does anyone remember the song about the car made from different car's body parts (fenders, doors, etc.)? Is that what this forum knife will look like? lol

Jack
It's a Spyderco, the odder it looks the more valuable it will be. Seriously, it would be hard to come up with an unattractive combination. The blade will be silver or black and Martha Stewart will testify that those colors go with everything.

add: I remember. I'm a sucker for a silly song.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If forum knives are going to be mentioned can someone remind me and others the requirements needed to be a forum knife. This was discussed a few months ago. I remember these requirements: Golden CO made, price not too high, that's about all I remember. I tried to search for the thread and am getting a server error of some sort.

Jack
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I would be VERY interested in a pm2 forum knife should it happen. Some sort of funky G10 color with the lines of the pm2 would be a HUGE hit. Really good idea Sequimite!

How does the process work? Is every forum member guaranteed one if they want it, or is it first come first serve like a sprint? Now I'm all excited, I hope this becomes a reality!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Something FRN is always nice because it stays affordable.

ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2 in maroon FRN? Like a Calypso Jr sprint redux. :D

I could definitely pay $70ish for a forum knife!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

pmbspyder wrote:I would be VERY interested in a pm2 forum knife should it happen. Some sort of funky G10 color with the lines of the pm2 would be a HUGE hit. Really good idea Sequimite!

How does the process work? Is every forum member guaranteed one if they want it, or is it first come first serve like a sprint? Now I'm all excited, I hope this becomes a reality!
I hope someone lists the requirements. I did remember another one. Forum members get one free. Thought I'd mention it because I think Sal forgot. :)

Jack
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jackknifeh wrote:If forum knives are going to be mentioned can someone remind me and others the requirements needed to be a forum knife. This was discussed a few months ago. I remember these requirements: Golden CO made, price not too high, that's about all I remember. I tried to search for the thread and am getting a server error of some sort.

Jack
I'd say preferences rather than requirements. It's just difficult to coordinate a one-off with a foreign supplier.

Sal prefers a less expensive forum knife that everyone can afford. My suggestion is higher than what he would see as ideal but if Golden is as busy as I think they are the real choice may be between this idea and nothing rather than a higher or lower priced forum knife.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

pmbspyder wrote:How does the process work? Is every forum member guaranteed one if they want it, or is it first come first serve like a sprint? Now I'm all excited, I hope this becomes a reality!
The notice is only given on the forum and a code (which obviously leaks) is given to get 40% off of the listed SFO price. There will probably be a limit of two.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

cosmo7809 wrote: With 10 Manix2 variations out there, I would opt out for a manix2 forum knife. Yes, we should be grateful for anything but IMO there are just too many. I would take a para2 in a heartbeat.
+1 You never know what can happen, but most likely I will buy Forum para, unless I absolutely hate the the handle color or will be broke.

Still, I am not sure how well "$125 Forum Knife" will work. IIRC, the only Forum knives, which were sold like hot pancakes on this Forum were Natives, which were most likely least expensive Forum knives offered here. I believe that Adventura and Lava, with price tag around $80 were sold under 150 pieces each. I certainly prefer to have the Forum knife with more expensive and better looking handle material, but many people would prefer FRN and Forum knife to be as least expensive as possible.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian

Post by 224477 »

S90V Para2 with Silver twill CF handle!!!! :D

sorry, I just missed the S90V sprint...
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

bh49 wrote:Still, I am not sure how well "$125 Forum Knife" will work. IIRC, the only Forum knives, which were sold like hot pancakes on this Forum were Natives, which were most likely least expensive Forum knives offered here. I believe that Adventura and Lava, with price tag around $80 were sold under 150 pieces each. I certainly prefer to have the Forum knife with more expensive and better looking handle material, but many people would prefer FRN and Forum knife to be as least expensive as possible.
One great advantage of adding on to already planned blade and scale orders is that it is a way to do a shorter run with the lower cost of a bigger run. Let's say that at $125 there is uncertainty over whether 300 will sell; you can change a pending 600 unit order to a 700 order and the 100 for the forum knife will cost slightly less per unit than the pending 600 order did. It makes it practical economically to do a very short forum knife run.

Let's also say that a $65 FRN forum knife is preferable. Here's the problem: There is no 2010 $65 forum knife because there wasn't time (my assumption) to do a custom run in 2010. The way things are going it looks to me like there will be no $65 2011 forum knife because Golden is operating at capacity.

So the question I am posing is (if my assumptions are correct) would you rather have a $125 forum knife or nothing? I'd rather have the forum knife and I think enough others would as well to sell out a 300 knife run. Since it's a new idea make it a 150 unit run. I'd rather have a Para, but the 600 unit Manix 2 specials don't seem to have much trouble selling out so I think either one would work.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

My only worry about Forum Knives is their availability outside the US. It's all well and good to buy them from the SFO online but they'd have to have pins tightened etc to make it thru Customs here.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

JACKNIFEH

The name of JOHNNY CASH song was, "ONE PIECE AT A TIME".
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

bh49 wrote:+1 You never know what can happen, but most likely I will buy Forum para, unless I absolutely hate the the handle color or will be broke.

Still, I am not sure how well "$125 Forum Knife" will work. IIRC, the only Forum knives, which were sold like hot pancakes on this Forum were Natives, which were most likely least expensive Forum knives offered here. I believe that Adventura and Lava, with price tag around $80 were sold under 150 pieces each. I certainly prefer to have the Forum knife with more expensive and better looking handle material, but many people would prefer FRN and Forum knife to be as least expensive as possible.
I agree with you for the most part. However, I'm not sure Spyderco has ever had such a successful knife in the lineup as the pm2. The Lava and Adventura (I believe) didn't garner anywhere near the attention and demand that the pm2 did (and still does). Additionally, having another exclusive version of the pm2 would be nothing short of a homerun I would think. The fact that the forum knife would be relatively close in price to what people are already paying for "one of the greatest folders ever released" makes me think these things would go like hotcakes. Just my $.02!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

ChrisR wrote:My only worry about Forum Knives is their availability outside the US. It's all well and good to buy them from the SFO online but they'd have to have pins tightened etc to make it thru Customs here.
A foreign friend bought directly from SFO and had it shipped to me so I could combine it with other stuff he was having sent to me in one shipment. If his country had that problem I could have fixed the knife as well.

If there is a forum knife I'd be glad to do that for you.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Just remember tighten pivot doesn't always work on knives with pivot bushing eh?

I think regular manix has been done to death, some variation of the upcoming FRCP manix would be nice if people want to stay with the model.