Military in the mail!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I hope I don't get bit by the same bug that made me want to collect all the standard runs of the pm2 for the millie! I think I can feel my wallet shuddering...

And good luck finding an S90v version on the net, they'll cost you a pretty penny!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Yeah, I know it'll cost me... After experiencing the Para 2 though, at least I know how worth it it will be...
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Spyderco Military is an OUTSTANDING choice!

One of the first things you'll notice is how BIG it seems to be. Please don't let this intimidate you from EDCing it. After handling it a while you'll come to find that the Military isn't as big as you thought and is just right for your needs.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Water Bug wrote:The Spyderco Military is an OUTSTANDING choice!

One of the first things you'll notice is how BIG it seems to be. Please don't let this intimidate you from EDCing it. After handling it a while you'll come to find that the Military isn't as big as you thought and is just right for your needs.
I will certainly not let the size dissuade me from edc-ing it! In a suit it may be a bit much, but that won't stop me from at least trying it as well! Thanks for the advice!
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Great knife you've bought.
It's big when you first start to carry it (but very light and slim so carries very well), then after a while it shrinks... but the downside... it shrunk all my other knives as well ;)

Enjoy it my friend, I love mine.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Got mine today. Wow. That's all I gotta say. Black Blade, Camo G-10 sexiness. With my similarly clad Para 2 it is like big brother and little brother.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Jonj480 wrote:Got mine today. Wow. That's all I gotta say. Black Blade, Camo G-10 sexiness. With my similarly clad Para 2 it is like big brother and little brother.
aaarrrrgh. will get mine on monday. this weekend is taking forever! congrats on the new acquisition, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't jealous!
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

You guys are lucky. I still don't have an exact date for when the fluted titanium Millie will ship but it's supposed to be soon.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

I have been re-thinking the fluted titanium version a little bit. I have no doubt that it will be awesome, but it is awful pricey, and I think for something that beautiful, I would rather it be a little smaller. I don't know. I have one on preorder, I am just not sure. I have been thinking if I am going to spend that much, I would rather get one of the sprints with a different steel (M4, BG-42 or S90V). Still not sure though.

I do love this knife, it is screaming to get used, that is really what is causing me to re-think it.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Jonj480 wrote:I have been re-thinking the fluted titanium version a little bit. I have no doubt that it will be awesome, but it is awful pricey, and I think for something that beautiful, I would rather it be a little smaller. I don't know. I have one on preorder, I am just not sure. I have been thinking if I am going to spend that much, I would rather get one of the sprints with a different steel (M4, BG-42 or S90V). Still not sure though.

I do love this knife, it is screaming to get used, that is really what is causing me to re-think it.
that's why i've never really been in to some of the more expensive sprints. I really like using my knives, but if it is soo expensive that i think twice about using it, it's not for me. good luck with the decision, i'm sure either way you'll end up with a nice knife!
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

I agree. I like to use mine too. I am thinking the regular Ti Military would be better for me, or the Ti/M4 version. I think I would get more out of it than having the fluted version.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

The fluted Ti version would be more of a compelling and attractive proposition if it was possible to replace the blade on it. Then one wouldn't have to feel bad about using it. Is there any way to replace the blade on them at a reasonable cost?
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Just got notice my package arrived! Now I have to sit through another 3 hours of work until I get to go home though...

Sorry for the nonsense post, I just get excited like a little kid when I know I have a new knife waiting for me at home. I'll post up my impressions once I unbox and get to play with it a bit!
SpydieDelica4

Post by SpydieDelica4 »

It's understandable. I've been following this thread because I just got my first military this past christmas. As others have said, when you first see it, it will look like a folding sword. But as you handle it for the next day or two, it will shrink down in size. It's the first EDC in 6 or so years i've had that I actually use and carry. It's a very capable knife. I'm normally scared to beat on my knives, but this knife takes a beating and still keeps going!
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

Pmbspyder, did you get it? What do you think?
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Jonj480 wrote:Pmbspyder, did you get it? What do you think?
I did! I just got it about an hour ago! My first impression was that it was incredibly light for it's size. Then I thought to myself, "hmm, i didn't know this knife had no liners...". But then i did some closer inspection and some googling and found Sal's explanation of how they managed to incorporate such strength in to the handle and how it's not truly liner-less (this was more research than me being upset about anything).

I've been playing with it for an hour or so now, and I am falling in love. I LOVE the blade length to handle ratio, and the fit and finish are superb. Funny enough, when i unpacked it i didn't think it was as enormous as many had warned me. I think this is because I'm so used to pm2's and spyderhawks, etc (larger spydies). Either way, I will most definitely be edc-ing this knife this weekend. I like everything about this knife. I am worried that I may begin a quest for many many more.

All that being said, I have yet to test the usability/capability of the knife. After this weekend we'll be able to tell if it's really love or just lust...
Jonj480

Post by Jonj480 »

I am worried that I may begin a quest for many many more..[/QUOTE]

I hear ya... after my Camo Black blade one, I ordered a plain/satin one tonight. I think I am in love too. I really need to find a S90V or M4 version now... Killing me.

I am glad you like it. I am loving mine. A mirror edge and a black blade gets me goin, but I dont want to put scratches in the finish... had to get one to beat on.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

Mine should be here tomorrow. I'm pretty anxious.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

JonJ480- yeah the black blade digi pm2 is one of my favorite knives...the looks of it are just too cool. With the military, I wanted to start simple and work my way up. Hopefully someday I can choose between which iteration I want to carry for the day! Let me know your thoughts on the black g10 satin when you get it...

Orion- congrats, I'm sure the wait has been tough (I know it was for me at least). Let us know how you like it when it finally arrives!
SpydieDelica4

Post by SpydieDelica4 »

Jonj480 wrote:I am worried that I may begin a quest for many many more..
I hear ya... after my Camo Black blade one, I ordered a plain/satin one tonight. I think I am in love too. I really need to find a S90V or M4 version now... Killing me.

I am glad you like it. I am loving mine. A mirror edge and a black blade gets me goin, but I dont want to put scratches in the finish... had to get one to beat on.[/QUOTE]

Good luck scratching that black finish! I have yet to do so. Even metal just leaves marks, i wipe mine off with some silicone spray and it's good as new.