Size Down from Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rutgrr

Size Down from Delica

Post by Rutgrr »

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking a bit. Made my first post on the tagline thread.

I was wondering if someone could help me. What's the next size down from a delica?

Thanks.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I think the dragonfly would be your best bet
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Absolutely the dragonfly. It is an excellent knife, with much of the same feel/appeal of the delica.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
jldc

Post by jldc »

The new dragonfly 2 is the ticket. Nicer than the Delica at least as far as the clip is concerned - it has the wire clip that I prefer.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Dragonfly/2! :)
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

When the Chaparral comes out it will be slightly smaller at 2.75" blade, the non locking Urban is a bit smaller than that at 2.5" blade and then the Dragonfly II at 2.25".
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

actually the choil on the dragonfly gives it a different grip. If you are looking for a smaller "delica" like knife get the ladybug. It has a similar grip. It maybe smaller than a dragonfly but the cutting edge is nearly the same.
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

I'd recommend Dragonfly over Ladybug. I switch between Delica and Dragonfly often, and I see absolutely no problem switching gripping. Dragonfly's small yet well thought out shape and choil just guide me to most fitting position so I do't have to think to switch. I guess it depend's on OP's intended use, but Delica to Ladybug sounds a bit too much of size jump IMHO.
Delica Orange Jigged Bone, Manix2 Orange FFG, Poliwog G-10, Salt I PE Black, Chaparral
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Figured I'd add a size comparison pic for clarity. I really enjoy the Urban, but the others are with me a lot of the time also. The Urban is also a little more expensive, but for me it's a fine and useful piece with a more refined grip.

From top to bottom: Delica, Urban, Dragonfly zdp, Ladybug Salt. :) Then you have 3/5's of a Toyota key handle......
Attachments
size comparison.jpg
size comparison.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I also really like the Dragonfly 2 for my pocket.

I have a Ladybug on my keychain, though.