Something good for a Paramedic, Fireman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Something good for a Paramedic, Fireman

Post by dbcad »

I gave my step son in law, a fireman and paramedic for a county fire department a ZDP Delica SE for Christmas. My wife has told me that he uses it everyday, and frequently on the job. He also said to her that it's the only knife he owns? Eventually his Delica will need sharpening, and I'm looking to get him a replacement for the times his Delica might have to take a break. He's told my wife that the knife gets used pretty much everyday.

The ZDP SE should last for a while for him, but I have difficulty sharpening a PE ZDP blade much less a well used ZDP SE. :spyder: sharpening would be my choice, but that would take a few weeks and $20 and I would like him to have a capable knife with him in the meantime. Maybe another Delica ZDP?

He told my wife that the Delica was especially valuable cutting a woman out of the seatbelt of a car that was pinned against a tree while the woman had severe head injury. She lived!

Interested in hearing recomendations from EMT's and paramedics who have to do the same kind of thing. My son in law is not a knife "afi" and has 3 small boys and a second job. He's just getting started and I would like to help him as much as I and his Mom can.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Hi db! First, I believe spyderco sharpening is only $5 (I think). Second, you're right, their service dept is pretty stacked up, so from what I hear you would be waiting at least a few weeks for it to be returned (that's what I was told when I called the service dept).

Also, I'm not a fireman or emt, but I would recommend the Assist. I've read great things about it, from it''s cutting capability to it's carbide glass breaker and whistle. Check it out, it just might fit the bill! Good luck, and tell your step son in law thanks for his admirable work in a very tough profession!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

As a former EMT myself hummmm..... well I'd carry two knives honestly. I'd carry the Assist because it really is great when you need a rescue knife, but I'd also carry something else for my more mundane cutting tasks and for those occasions when you need an acute point. The Para2 comes to mind...... The plain edge would also make it easier to sharpen when the time comes.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

If you have sharpmaker you'd be surprised to find SE may be easier to sharpen than PE, simply due to SE comes with very acute edge angle whereas most PE don't.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I think an Assist would serve him well in his life saving career.
Come Join Us Click Here
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'd buy him a sharpmaker and just touch it up every once in a while instead you another knife.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

I frequently sell to firemen/paramedics...
I have had great response on a certain carry setup. Plain edge Stretch and an Assist which has the combo blade. One guy used the Stretch to cut the seatbelt of a rollover accident on the road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Stretch or Assist would make him very happy.

If he loves the Delica size you might consider a Tasman SE or Rescue 79mm. Both essentially a Delica but with teeth and a way different blade. :)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

How about a Saver Salt?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Saver or Atlantic Salt, Assist, or another Delica. That last choice has the advantage of being something you know he likes and obviously feels comfortable carrying and using.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i carry 2 knives on me when i am at work. one is on my firecoat, a jumpmaster. I use to have a tasman but opening folding knives is kind of hard with bulky firegloves which is why i changed to the jumpmaster. I connected it behind my flashlight so it isnt noticeable. I think he would appreciate a knife on firecoat because it is a PITA to get to your pants pocket under your bunker gear. I have cut alot of seat belts with it and twice I have cut fireman that got tangled up with wires/cords in a fire. Go with something that is made with H1, everything else will rust after one fire in my experience. If you have any other questions PM me or post up in here.
tony
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm not all that great at sharpening serrated edges. I got the Spyderco profile set of 2 ceramic stones mainly for serrated edges. They do work very nice for serrated and plain edges both. I think they would be a great idea as another gift (birthday maybe). With a little practice he should be able to maintain his knife. Especially with ZDP he should KEEP it sharp instead of waiting until it is dull to worry about it (old subject). That way he wouldn't need to send it to Spyderco. Or is there someone local who can sharpen it? For a backup if it is shipped off maybe a value folder or byrd would suffice. I have the Byrd Wings (serrated blade and plain blade both). The steel is 8Cr13MoV. It is not ZDP but is still a nice steel. Plus it is easier to sharpen. It is VERY durable also. I've used knives and tools all my life and value having quality, good performing equipment but I've never been is a situation of possibly saving someone's life or anything near as important. My hat is off to your son-in-law and his co-workers all over the country (or world).

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I forgot about that cool setupof yours Tony. Pro advice there.

On that note you could get a serrated aquasalt for less money. The point is not very rescue-esque but the price is terrific ($60ish).
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks for the replies :) Contemplating all and welcome more. I'll be talking to him over the next week or 2 and that should start to solidify a choice.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

>>> The point is not very rescue-esque but the price is terrific ($60ish).

It wouldn't be too difficult to round it off.