Damaged spyderco Titanium Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Something will work out. At the most basic level I have faith in spyderco. Since the Ti military isn't any stronger than the much lighter and better textured G10 military I can't exactly make the claim that this was a practical purchase anyway. ;)
MCM

Post by MCM »

So they broke the tip off & re ground it.

Not much else they could do.....

"Spyderco does not replace blades, either under warranty or at the owners expense"

I did not know that! Thanks for the info. :o
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
2cha

Post by 2cha »

MCM wrote:So they broke the tip off & re ground it.

Not much else they could do.....

"Spyderco does not replace blades, either under warranty or at the owners expense"

I did not know that! Thanks for the info. :o
Sounds like quite a bit more than that--sounds like everything is fixable unless the suggestion that the blade was bead blasted to conceal overheating and potential damage to heat treat. I've bought several used (collectable) chisels over the years that couldn't be salvaged by me because they were "cleaned" up on a conventional grinder and the heat treat ruined.
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Its sad to see a knife of that quality get so badly treated. I would have killed for something like that and kept it pristine. A real work of art.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

If I was in your shoes, I'd send it in to spyderco and let them do what they can to it. You will end up with

a) a useable knife (blade will be still shorter than original, but at least with a original Spyderco scary sharp grind)
b) the assurance that the blade (heat treat) is ruined for good.

in case of b), perhaps I'd let some skilled (blade)forum member make a new blade for me. Or maybe call it a day and let the knife sit in a showcase without using it.

I think though that Spyderco will regrind the blade, maybe refinish it a little, and you will have a nice EDC.

Dennis
v8r

Post by v8r »

Ouch! kind of a expensive knife to be grinding on for no reason. Surely someone broke the tip off using it, because I can find no other reason than that to start grinding on it. I would buy another Millie and swap the blade out. :eek: :rolleyes:
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
roymail

Post by roymail »

v8r wrote:Ouch! kind of a expensive knife to be grinding on for no reason. Surely someone broke the tip off using it, because I can find no other reason than that to start grinding on it. I would buy another Millie and swap the blade out. :eek: :rolleyes:
Yep, what he said. Or, just cut your loses, sell it and start over.

But, I'll still contact Spyderco and see what they can do for you. :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

my dad sharpens knives with an angle grinder...he even did it to his victorinox steak knife cause "it was too hard to sharpen" me: "quality steels generally are harder to sharpen than the the other kitchen sink grade knives you have!". (2 hours of arguing later...lol). i fixed most of them though. anyways, imho, i'd put the TI handles on the black bladed mili, would look awesome :P
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Just to follow up on this thread the response I got from spyderco was the following:
"Sorry we do not offer a blade replacement.

If your knife just needs a basic sharpening regardless of edge style, the sharpening is free; however, there is a $5 shipping and handling fee.

If your knife needs to be re-serrated, re-tipped or any other non-warranted repairs then it would be $20. plus the $5.00 for shipping. (If the tip break is very small we may be able to fix it with just a basic sharpening). Here is a link to our warranty page http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

When you send your knife in please include cash (US currency) , check or money order (US) for $5 shipping fee (plus $20 if you are sending it in for re-serration, re-tipping or repairs) a note stating what you’d like done to your knife along with your name, daytime phone number (that you can be reached at in case we have any questions or there’s a problem) and a return address (no P.O. Box’s please, unless you are Military or live out of the US )

Unless there is a problem we do not notify you upon arrival or departure of your knife. We are currently at about a 2-3 week turn around. Spyderco cannot be responsible for items that do not arrive to us. When mailing your knife you should send it in a box (knives have a way of working out of bubble mailers).

Spyderco

Attn Repair

820 Spyderco Way

Golden CO 80403

Thank you and have a great day,

Charlynn

Customer service/Warranty/Repair"

Polite, but not very helpful. I guess I'm off to find a custom maker. I'm open to suggestions, but for the record I already contacted Brad Southard who said he wasn't interested. :(
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yes, but you knew that was a risk going in... :) ...my only question would be whether the cost of having a blade made for it wouldn't be considerably more $ than would be worthwhile? I have no idea what the cost of good work would be, but it won't be cheap. :(
fishwatcher

Post by fishwatcher »

Sounds like for $5, you get a factory resharpening, they probably will re-profile, and then you can determine if indeed the heat treat has been ruined enough to impact the knife's performance.

When Spyderco gets a knife that has seen quite a bit of use, they often do wonders in bringing it back to life, moreso than the "basic re-sharpening" than they advertise in their warranty.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If the heat treat is still okay, then you can have a very nice knife by sending it in to Spyderco for sharpening. Depending on the current blade length, you may even have a Ti Mil that is legal where a stock one would not be.

The heat treat seems to be the big important unknown factor here.
pl4stic

Post by pl4stic »

I hope you find a custom maker willing to make a new blade.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

The heat treat at the edge is not so great. While I can't tell exactly how far gone it is, I know its not up to spyderco's usual standards for hardness. Damage was done.

So far the most interesting option I've seen is actually carbidizing the knife. Building a carbidizer has been on my to-do list for the longest time now, and the problem this knife has presented me with might just push me over the edge into actually making one.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That's really interesting. How does a carbidizer work?
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

The short version? A lot like an arc welder really, but much lower current.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

hunterseeker5 wrote:The short version? A lot like an arc welder really, but much lower current.
ah, thanks. I'll have to use my google-fu. :D
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

pl4stic wrote:I hope you find a custom maker willing to make a new blade.
If you want to try a custom maker instead of Spyderco's W&R, you might contact Chase Axinn at Chaxknives.net. He has done custom blades for production knives before and works with a variety of steels.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
unit

Post by unit »

What is your goal exactly?
If you do not mind the shape and length of the blade as is, you could perhaps have it re heat treated for a bit less than getting a new blade made.

This would also allow the opportunity to make any additional changes to the shape of the blade without fear of HT damage.

If I had this opportunity, I might actually shorten that blade a bit MORE (gasp) and bring the spine down into a modified Wharncliffe.

That is the beauty of having a knife like this...there is not a huge penalty for trying something crazy...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Send it to Brad IMO.